• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunchbox

Dakki

While the bento seems to generate plenty of discussion (may I direct you to the wonderful thread here) and there's some talk about what goes in a lunchbox (here), I can't seem to find anything on actual lunchboxes.

Unfortunately my knowledge of the topic is limited to remembering a metal Fantastic Four box that ended its life as an army men container and a plastic Benji box circa 1980 that IIRC fell apart completely over the course of a school year. Kindergarten was a traumatic time for me. :raz:

Anyway, anyone have advice on the selection and care of a lunchbox? The "construction worker" model appeals, but there's something to be said for a cartoon/film schoolkid box that announces your power level and/or advanced hipster ironymongering to the whole world.

Discuss!

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

We went out shopping today and next to the 'naked food' containers I saw Twilight lunch boxes in the traditional metal style... Is that what you were thinking of? :raz:

I'm requesting the Black + Blum lunchbox for Christmas this year - after years of lazily buying my lunch I'm about to embark on a lifetime of brown bagging with my new job. I've inspected them a few times and they seem pretty good. http://www.everten.com.au/Black-Blum-Designer-Kitchenware.html

We went out shopping today and next to the 'naked food' containers I saw Twilight lunch boxes in the traditional metal style... Is that what you were thinking of? :raz:

More into zombies than sparkly vampires but I guess you got the fundamental concept, anyway. :raz:

I'd express amazement a franchise that seems geared to adult women has gotten as far as lunchboxes but I just saw a Bettie Page pinup lunchbox on another site.

Anyway, "tiffin carriers" look neat as heck. Anyone have one of those?

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

More into zombies than sparkly vampires but I guess you got the fundamental concept, anyway. :raz:

I'd express amazement a franchise that seems geared to adult women has gotten as far as lunchboxes but I just saw a Bettie Page pinup lunchbox on another site.

I dunno, zombies strike me as being fundamentally unhygienic. At least sparkles are associated with cleanliness... (yes, that minor earthquake was me shuddering all the way from over here). And anyway, judging from my experiences on teaching prac, girls between the ages of 12 and 16 form a large part of the sparkly market....

Tiffin boxes sound and look very cool, but you are limited in terms of being able to reheat food (although I think I've seen plastic versions mentioned elsewhere). Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a tiffin delivery service handy?

I do, I do! I'm assuming you're choosing a lunchbox for yourself...

I love my tiffins. I've got several different sizes, and some with three or four decks, so I can choose my tiffin based on how many courses there are in my lunch and also how long it will be before I eat said lunch. All of mine are stainless steel, although I'm now starting to see tupperware-style tiffins for use in microwaves. The stainless-steel ones are perfect for reheating in toaster ovens.

My experience has been that if soup goes into the bottom tier of my tiffin hot, it will still be quite warm when lunchtime rolls around, and the heat from the steam of it helps to keep the second tier, the main dish, warm. Above the main is the salad course, and dessert is on top. (And you can see why my four-decker tiffin gets the most use!) I'm helped by a tropical climate - if I leave my tiffin in the sun, my soup will never get cold. (And you can see why my pair of double-decker tiffins get used - a pair for the hot, and another pair for the cold).

And there's also the lovely option offered by almost every comedor in the country - you bring the tiffin, we'll fill it up. Snadra - there are tiffin delivery services here! One simply leaves one's tiffin at the restaurant that's offering delivery, and they bring it to you at lunchtime, filled with all manner of goodies. Not sure that's so applicable to Dakki, though. :raz:

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)