• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Round (beef)

Eastgate

If I ever see London Broil in our grocery stores it's top round. Flank would be a step up

I guess labeling cuts of beef by recipe names is something that butchers think spur sales.

But to me, it's just confusing.

I never used to see any cut of meat labeled London Broil as anything but flank.  However, since London Broil is a method of preparation, and not a cut of beef, I suppose what butchers choose to label with that name depends upon changing fashion.

Here's an interesting article about London Broil, including speculation as to the origin of the name.

Apparently a very old American dish:

http://bbq.about.com/od/steaks/a/aa101604a.htm

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

it is quite old my grandmother and my step mother did both make great  "London Broil's "  out of top round and she always had one cute "the other way" ..I never figured out what the heck she did ..she grilled it hot and fast then wrapped it in foil. It was one of her two dishes we all really liked or could eat. 

I have the marinade she used down pat but the way to ask for it to be cut ..sadly I never paid attention and I should have. 

I can make a good one ..hers was great and I would love to try but beef is way too expensive for my budget now. 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 2
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

it is quite old my grandmother and my step mother did both make great  "London Broil's "  out of top round and she always had one cute "the other way" ..I never figured out what the heck she did ..she grilled it hot and fast then wrapped it in foil. It was one of her two dishes we all really liked or could eat. 

I have the marinade she used down pat but the way to ask for it to be cut ..sadly I never paid attention and I should have. 

I can make a good one ..hers was great and I would love to try but beef is way too expensive for my budget now. 

Well, in the immortal words of a legendary previous poster, "if you care to and have the time," would you mind sharing that marinade recipe?  I do much of the cooking for my daughter's family of six and do make London Broil occasionally.  I've got a marinade I've been using, but I'm not one to take undue and false territorial pride in my recipes.  If I can find one better, I'll discard my previous recipe faster than you can throw beef onto a grill.

But if it's a family secret, that's swell, too.

• Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I am very happy to share and I  bet you can find "better" renditions of this online ..I did a search of "soy bourbon marinade" and a bunch popped up. But 

I have seen similar versions on EG ..I may have posted one so if this is redundant I am sorry 

I have marinated beef in this and made a really nice stew as well so it is great for slow or fast cooking ..we always drained and dried the meat really well before putting it on the grill but used the low to high cooking method and turned the meat frequently when cooking ..

to my step mother and grandmother (who btw hated each other LOLOL!!!) 

this "was" London Broil

and it was always made with top round of beef 

1 part good  bourbon

1 part soy sauce (I use fish sauce now and like it better) 

1 shot or 3  of Worcestershire or I use Maggi from Germany 

1 part sour fruit juice concentrate (they always used the tiny cans of frozen concentrated orange or pineapple or if they felt wild it was the combo of orange and pineapple juice!) I find pineapple and orange too sweet unless you get bitter orange then you are lucky! ..I use sour grape, plum whatever sour apple is very good and tenderizes nicely but thick almost syrupy stuff you need . 

1 part whatever sweet you want but make it sugar nothing artificial here ..honey, maple syrup, brown sugar, molasses, palm sugar 

jThe juice of lemon or lime along with some rind 

smashed garlic to taste (I use about 5 cloves ) 

grated ginger ( I use about 1/4 cup) 

1 minced scotch bonnet pepper minced (even in Providence RI in the late 60's early 70s I remember her finding one to go in) 

smashed lemon grass if you have it is great in this (2 stalks smashed ) 

add some kind of mustard that comes to about 1/4 part in flavor dried or wet…my step mother used a big spoon German brown mustard , I toast black mustard seeds then grind them and put a spoon of that in) 

fresh finely ground pepper ..to taste 

• Like 2

Piglet 

we always drained and dried the meat really well before putting it on the grill but used the low to high cooking method and turned the meat frequently when cooking ..

That marinade does look amazing.

As far as the cooking goes, what I've done for lo these thirty years is to take the meat (and, as I've said, it was always flank steak but I'm sure you could do something similar with top round), and score it pretty deeply on both sides, then lay strips of bacon on it (across the grain), roll it up, slice (across the grain) into pinwheels with the bacon rolled up inside, then thread the pinwheels onto skewers, put it into a dish with the marinade and then into the fridge to marinate overnight.

And then next day, cook the skewered, marinated pinwheels, either by broiling in the oven, or on the grill outside.

This is pretty dang terrific, even with what I now know is my mediocre marinade.

But with yours, I suspect that will kick this dish into the stratosphere!

Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 3

That marinade does look amazing.

As far as the cooking goes, what I've done for lo these thirty years is to take the meat (and, as I've said, it was always flank steak but I'm sure you could do something similar with top round), and score it pretty deeply on both sides, then lay strips of bacon on it (across the grain), roll it up, slice (across the grain) into pinwheels with the bacon rolled up inside, then thread the pinwheels onto skewers, put it into a dish with the marinade and then into the fridge to marinate overnight.

And then next day, cook the skewered, marinated pinwheels, either by broiling in the oven, or on the grill outside.

This is pretty dang terrific, even with what I now know is my mediocre marinade.

But with yours, I suspect that will kick this dish into the stratosphere!

Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Jaymes! Thank you ! did i post it previously you think? feel like deja vu on this? But i am crazy like that

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 1

Piglet