• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The PDT Cocktail Book"

jnash85

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:56 PM, FrogPrincesse said:

PDT's homage to the Last Word, the East Village Athletic Club Cocktail (Jim Meehan, John Deragon, Don Lee) with 1.5 oz Tequila Ocho plata 2014, 0.75 oz lemon juice, 0.5 oz yellow Chartreuse, 0.5 oz Grand Marnier. It's a little more subdued than the original, and the orange flavor from the Grand Marnier is almost like a small nod to a Margarita.

Sounds interesting although an ounce of yellow chartreuse/GranMa sounds like the potential for a lot of sugar. I know that sweet isn't necessarily your (or PDT's) typical profile so I presume that isn't the case?

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Sounds interesting although an ounce of yellow chartreuse/GranMa sounds like the potential for a lot of sugar. I know that sweet isn't necessarily your (or PDT's) typical profile so I presume that isn't the case?

I think I went slightly below the 0.5 oz mark for both to be cautious, and it wasn't overwhelmingly sweet. The tequila is super herbal, and so is the Chartreuse, and that was enough to captivate my taste buds. It was a bit like a Margarita & Last Word cross, which was a very cool concept.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I recently defrosted a package of Goya passionfruit puree and was looking for some drinks to use it in and came across PDT's Luau (not remembering that I actually made one years ago and posted it in this thread!). This time I reduced the rums to 2 oz - having made a few tiki drinks recently, I'm not sure I'm ready for 2 oz+ drinks in the middle of the day - and increased the passionfruit puree by 1/2 oz. While I liked the drink last time (apparently) and noted that it was a strong drink, I loved it this time. Used Skipper rum and Appleton Reserve. I came across Skipper after having a Hua Hin Beach cocktail at Kin Khao in SF (Skipper rum, lime, coconut cream, salt, kaffir lime and chocolate stout) and am a longtime fan of Appleton.

IMG_3466.thumb.JPG.759e4984b624a1f57be6f62719aeba52.JPG