• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris on Christmas Eve

Vooon

Hello, my wife and I are looking for a good place in Paris to have dinner on Christmas Eve. So I am wondering if you guys have any recommendations on places to go? Does anyone know a place which for sure will be open? We're staying in the 7th arro., but won't have any problems moving around a bit. The price range would be around a 100 Euros per person.

I have tried looking around a bit here on the forum, but couldn't find any information newer than 2009, so I thought I should open a new thread.

Interesting. No, wait, the other thing ... tedious.

What do you mean with counter seating/service?

I have checked out a few places so far, most of them are not open on the 24th. I have a confirmed table at Le Procope, but I am a little skeptical of the place since I have a feeling it might be more of a tourist trap than a good restaurant. Any opinions?

I've also received a confirmation from Chez Francoise close to Invalides, but they want 80 euros to secure a table, and haven't replied to my inquiry on whether this is a non-refundable deposit, or if it will be subtracted from the final bill. I have read that the restaurant scene in Paris can be rather empty around Xmas time, so maybe it's worth taking a chance on just going without a reservation if they actually want 80 Euros in addition to the food?

Ok, get it. Thanks for the list, seems like things are more or less sorted out now as we have a few options to choose from. Might end up at L'Atelier du Parc which is confirmed open.

Hi Voon,

I would counsel against Le Procope. Your suspicion was correct, it's a real tourist trap.

The best options that I've seen thus far are Au Petit Marguery and Bar le Passage, but there's a good list here that provides numerous options at various price points, with all information confirmed this week.

Hope you find something nice!

Edited by mzimbeck (log)

Meg Zimbeck, Paris by Mouth

Thanks for that list, it will be studied for the other days we spend in Paris, and thanks for the advise in Le Procope. I think I might have had a drink there once, and remember the service was quite hostile.

We have settled for L'Atelier du Parc which looks promising, it has extremely good ratings on tripadvisor, which I guess is a good sign unless they have spent a lot of energy on faking 200+ ratings. I've also noticed that they offer all their menus on Christmas Eve, not just a set special menu, which I understand is a very rare thing. I also got a confirmation email from Les Cocottes earlier today, but we'd rather check it out some other day since we've been there before.

Voon I'm concerned about your choice.

The location of this restaurant leaves a lot to be desired. Also, I find it hard to rely on Trip Advisor reviews; unfortunately there's a lot of ill informed junk in them.

I'd take a closer look at the list by Meg up above or have a look at Paris by Mouth. I think you'd be better served by something on these lists.

No ax to grind here, but I'd hate to see you & yours disappointed.

Note also that (apologies if you knew this), that despite the use of the word "Atelier" (workshop) l'Atelier du Parc has no connection to the two Michelin two-star Robuchon restaurants discussed above (one of which is counter seating around the kitchen only, and would have a spirited, gastronomic atmosphere on Christmas eve, but would not be a romantic evening at the counter; the newer one at Etoile has tables as well).

I thought the Paris by Mouth list was a very good one, with a lot of variety because people are looking for different things. (Chowhound, too).

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Yeah, I am aware of the possible problems with tripadvisor, I've checked out four-five other sources and my impression is that this is a good place, even if it doesn't figure on the lists of Paris by Mouth and such. I am pretty sure it's going to be a nice meal. I'll write a report after being there, if it was good or not.

Oh, yes, I am aware that it's not related to other ateliers. Hehe. Thanks. :)

Edited by Vooon (log)

• 1 month later...

It was over all very good, the dinner was the best we had during our week long stay in Paris. Although we could choose from all their menus we both went for the Xmas menu, on my part because I wanted to try oysters for the first time. If not I would have gone for their huge steak, a guy at the neighbor table went for it, and I had the impression it was excellent.

For starters we got an aperitif which we believe was champagne mixed with cherry liqueur, the (surprise) starter was a magnificent shot of celery soup, I had oysters for second starter, and the pot au feu as main dish, for dessert we could choose chocolate or mascparone yule log (can't remember the french spelling). My wife had salmon with eggs, mushrooms and pink potato puree for starter, and stuffed turkey for main, both excellent. At last home made cookies with the bill, we were too full to try more than a little taste of them.

Oysters was a bit of a gamble on my part, since I'd never tried before (but was determined to during our trip), and found the experience both interesting and challenging, ended up enjoying the plain ones best after trying with lemon juice or some kinda garlic/chili oil mix.

I think the final bill landed on 130-140 euros incl a glass of wine each, tips included. The service was excellent.

I'm glad we checked out the place, and didn't go for eg. Les Cocottes, their Xmas menu was very disappointing (although we had great meals here before and after the Xmas weekend).