• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Sauce Question

Porthos

@TdeV 

the issue I see w these ' newer ' methods

for WS etc.  is

do the ( much ) higher agitation speeds

incorporate air ?

if so , is this good sometimes

and not so good otherwise ?

Just now, TdeV said:

@JoNorvelleWalker, does your blender have a heater in it?

I'm wondering if I could make a white sauce with the Bamix. (I'm not very good with a whisk).

No, the Blendtec does not have a heater.  However from friction a Vitamix or a Blendtec can boil cold milk in a couple minutes.  I doubt a Bamix could do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@TdeV 

the issue I see w these ' newer ' methods

for WS etc.  is

do the ( much ) higher agitation speeds

incorporate air ?

if so , is this good sometimes

and not so good otherwise ?

I did not notice any incorporation of air in my bechamel last night.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I guess the truth is that I'm not very good at standing around a stove. 🙄

Don't have much memory of aerated white sauce, so I suppose that's not the proper method. Right, @rotuts?

The Bamix does have other blades than an aerator.

I shall have to experiment  . . .

veddy confuzed here.....

for a white sauce, I melt the butter, add equal by volume AP flour, stir - cook until slightly brown....

add cold milk and whisk in.

second dose of cold milk, whisk in...

no lumps, no problems....

• Like 3

this will get us to the WS , soon 

but , 

https://www.everythingkitchens.com/vitamix-vs-blendtec.html

I found this after the Revelation that both 

the VMX  and BTC  heat up the container contents

it therefore follows :

weigh white flour //  measure cold milk // same with cold butter 

of course , some fresh ground nutmeg.

White Sauce !

clean up blender via blender.

Ig gain so much weight !

BTW  price range the same :   Vitamix  or Blendtec

just in case I need that info.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another vote for hot milk (not boiling!)

I do the butter flour bit then take it off the heat. Heat the milk in the microwave till hot (no bubbles just hot)

Add the milk and stir. It should only thicken a little but it will mix together smoothly without lumps.

You don't have to stand by the stove stirring while it thickens.

Return to heat to thicken

I add a little nutmeg. It fixes up any residual flour taste if I am not cooking with the sauce.

I have used half cream but only in a dish where i will be adding strong flavors, it does make the sauce a little bland.

• Thanks 1

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

3 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

veddy confuzed here.....

for a white sauce, I melt the butter, add equal by volume AP flour, stir - cook until slightly brown....

add cold milk and whisk in.

second dose of cold milk, whisk in...

no lumps, no problems....

You use a whisk? I use a rubber spatula and just add cold milk in small glugs. After a few batches you get to know how much you can add at each stage without getting lumps.

Rubber spatula means you can use a higher heat without scorching the bottom.

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

14 minutes ago, haresfur said:

Rubber spatula means you can use a higher heat without scorching the bottom.

Wooden spoon here - same idea

No one has yet talked about my favorite way to make Bechamel. For years now I have been making mine in the microwave. No more scorched pans and no more constant stirring. I put the butter in a pyrex Bowl and melt it for 30 to 45 seconds, add the flour, salt and pepper, and mix well with a whisk.

20210707_091150.jpg.120a9c127ddb5f4f96a6feeb16c099c5.jpg

My wire whisk is like this.

Microwave for 45 seconds to cook the flour. Add the milk and whisk well to combine. Microwave for 1 minute and stir well. Continue microwaving at one and a half minute intervals stiring well each time until it is thickened.

I use the classic proportions, 1 tablespoon butter plus 1 tablespoon flour plus one cup of milk for a thin sauce, 2 + 2 + 1 for a medium sauce, 3 + 3 + 1 for a thick sauce.

If adding cheese, add it just as it reaches the thickness that you want and heat for 1 minute to melt.

Just don't overcook it. I have better results with 1% or 2% milk.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

I'm not so great at sauces and roux, but I can make white sauce with a wooden spoon. (Stovetop.)

Me too but I can't tell you how many pans that I have scorched because I have been distracted. (kids, husband, television, dogfights, and now I have old age to contend with). To me, this is so much easier.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)

38 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Me too but I can't tell you how many pans that I have scorched because I have been distracted. (kids, husband, television, dogfights, and now I have old age to contend with). To me, this is so much easier.

Understood. Now, all my pots and pans are non-stick. I might not be able to do a white sauce, anymore, on stainless steel with a wooden spoon (stovetop). I like that you used your microwave oven (you mentioned that upthread).

At this point, I'd probably use a silicone spatula on nonstick to make a white sauce.

4 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

I like that you used your microwave oven

Thank you. Years ago I learned that you could actually cook in a microwave, not just heat and reheat. It has become my right arm. I know that a lot of people put them down, but I use it for every trick in the book.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Thank you. Years ago I learned that you could actually cook in a microwave, not just heat and reheat. It has become my right arm. I know that a lot of people put them down, but I use it for every trick in the book.

Could you please to be telling me what book? I use the microwave to warm and reheat. My SO hates the idea of cooking with the microwave but loves the induction cooktop.  Go figure!

2 minutes ago, Wait. Wot said:

what book

I guess, just kind of, The Book of Life. It's something that I just figured out on my own. But if you follow the directions above, that should pretty much tell you how to do it. I even make gravy in the microwave just following this formula for the proportion of pan drippings plus flour plus liquid.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wait. Wot said:

Could you please to be telling me what book? I use the microwave to warm and reheat. My SO hates the idea of cooking with the microwave but loves the induction cooktop.  Go figure!

Barbara Kafka.    Brilliant ways of using the microwave to do just about everything, but IMHO many recipes involve a lot more steps and utensils than I would use on stovetop.    That said, we depend on our microwave for lunches daily.

• Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

2 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

lot more steps and utensils than I would use on stovetop

I agree! She gets a lot more involved than she needs to. When you get old and lazy like me, things aren't that involved.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1