• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Egg Yolks in Chinese Dishes?

sheetz

I'm trying to plan a dinner menu and a lot of recipes require the use of egg whites while on the other hand there are very few which require the use of egg yolks. Normally I would just use the yolks in a custard or lemon curd but I was hoping to maybe incorporate the yolks somewhere into the menu this time. I know they could be added to fried rice and I've seen one recipe where yolks are used in a dessert soup, but beyond that I'm sort of at a loss. What do those huge Cantonese restaurants who use gallons of egg whites every day in soups and marinades do with all the yolks?

Hi Kent, a friend of mine who owns a cake shop says that egg tarts are made with duck egg - for superior flavour and to stop the egg tarts from developing cracks when they have to sit in a display window for more than an hour.

But I think you have the right idea - suggesting a custard. One of my favourite childhood foods is a savoury steamed egg custard with minced pork, salted eggs, and century eggs. I am sure the mere mention of this dish will provoke recognition amongst all those who were brought up with Cantonese cuisine among us :) We used to make it with whole eggs, but there is no reason why you couldn't make it with a mixture of whole eggs and egg yolks.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Poaching the yolks gently until just firm would be great in a dessert soup.

I've never done this, but I wonder if it would be possible to salt the yolks and save for zongzi? I picture laying the yolks on a bed of coarse salt, then covering the top, gently, with a layer of fine salt so as to not break the thin covering? You'd have to keep it covered and in the fridge, but might be worth a try if you have too many yolks.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thanks for the suggestions! Right now I'm learning towards the steamed custard. It hadn't occurred to me because my mom always used salted duck eggs instead of chicken eggs. I even did a search and found hzrt8w's pictorial.