• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Queretaro Saffron Mystery

EatNopales

I recently watched the Amealco (northern Queretaro) episode of La Ruta del Sabor (originally broadcast in 2003)... and one of the dishes prepared by an Otomi abuelita was Garbanzos en Amarillo (Chickpeas in a light, masa thickened vibrant yellow-orange hued Mole de Olla).

To provide its color she used a substantial quantities of a tuber that looks like ginger, but she referred to as Azafran (Saffron)... I guess its possible that it is just Safflower roots (as Safflower is commonly referred to as Azafran in Mexico & its threads used in cooking) but these were very large (thick) roots.

It is possibly something completely endemic to the area, as Amealco lies in the Sierra Gorda, a very dense bio diverse hot spot, with a catalog of 2,500+ different plant species (many of them endemic).

As is typical with Mexico.. there I can't find any information on this "Saffron" other than many internet listings of Garbanzos con Azafran as a typical dish in Amealco, Toliman & other nearby towns. Interestingly there is a forest area in the region called Sierra el Azafran where I would presume this plant can be easily gathered?

In general this tiny municipality has more than its fair share of interesting traditions... on the same episode she made a thin, warm Mezquite seed & Cinnamon syrup / soup to drink with plain tamales. Internet searches also site a savory dish of Aloe flowers, roasted Tantarrias (an insect that lives in / around mezquite), Century Plant blossom "albondigas", gorditas with something called mamanxa, Pulque bread etc.,

I can speak to this! I can speak to this! (Geez, finally, a question I can answer.)

The root you're looking for is most likely Costus lasius, which is called Bitter Cane further south. It's related to turmeric and ginger.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I know not a single thing about mexico, but could it be fresh turmeric? turmeric is a yellow root that looks a lot like a slightly smaller yellow ginger root.

Awesome... yes Tumeric root looks alot like what I saw... a great candidate. It is commonly used in Mexico but I had always seen it only in its powder form.

Does the fresh Tumeric have a noticeable flavor?

I can speak to this! I can speak to this! (Geez, finally, a question I can answer.)

The root you're looking for is most likely Costus lasius, which is called Bitter Cane further south. It's related to turmeric and ginger.

I can't seem to find any pictures of the root for Costus Lasius... do you have something that I can take a quick look at?

I don't have pics on hand - just the dried powdered Azafran in a bottle. The rhizomes look just like turmeric or gingerroots, with a reddish-yellowish center. Next time I'm in Mindo I'll get pics - my friend Clau grows bitter cane in her garden and it always needs dividing.

EDIT

Fresh turmeric does indeed have a noticeable earthy flavour, even in small quantities, and a fairly robust smell as well. If it was turmeric root you saw, you would have noticed both.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I don't have pics on hand - just the dried powdered Azafran in a bottle. The rhizomes look just like turmeric or gingerroots, with a reddish-yellowish center. Next time I'm in Mindo I'll get pics - my friend Clau grows bitter cane in her garden and it always needs dividing.

EDIT

Fresh turmeric does indeed have a noticeable earthy flavour, even in small quantities, and a fairly robust smell as well. If it was turmeric root you saw, you would have noticed both.

Muchas Gracias, senorita!

I don't suppose there's a chance it is galangal?

Well this is getting interesting.. Galangal is grown in Mexico although its primary use has been as a medicinal tea. If I try to put myself in the mindset of an Otomi cook I am not sure Galangal would fit within the flavors they are trying to achieve & that would pair well with say some blue corn tortillas.

By the way in the Caribbean (well in Trinidad at least, and I think I've seen it mentioned that people in Grenada sometimes do too) and also in Sri Lanka many people say saffron when they mean turmeric. It is very common and I've seen so many dal recipes that ask for 1/2 tsp saffron and it is very very clear that they are talking about turmeric. Sometimes they even say "Indian saffron".

ETA: See an example here where the author at least realises what she/he means.

Here they say saffron and then in brackets say "hardi". They mean haldi, which is hindi for turmeric.

Edited by Jenni (log)

By the way in the Caribbean (well in Trinidad at least, and I think I've seen it mentioned that people in Grenada sometimes do too) and also in Sri Lanka many people say saffron when they mean turmeric. It is very common and I've seen so many dal recipes that ask for 1/2 tsp saffron and it is very very clear that they are talking about turmeric. Sometimes they even say "Indian saffron".

ETA: See an example here where the author at least realises what she/he means.

Here they say saffron and then in brackets say "hardi". They mean haldi, which is hindi for turmeric.

Good stuff! I am pretty sure that is the link.

This link talks about the presence of Turmeric root in Chiapas and confirms it is labeled as Azafran. Also briefly discusses how the indigenous people there use Ginger & Basil for medicine but not for eating (hence why I think Galangal might not fight the flavoring scheme)

http://www.mexconnect.com/forums/Areas_C2/Southern_Mexico_F13/Whores,_Turmeric,_Ginger_and_Basil_P145268/

Although I should note Ginger is used in making Birria in Michoacan & Jalisco, it is used in Mole Negro in Oaxaca. Also in Oaxaca they juice Basil with Cucumbers to make salad dressing that goes on Romaine, Cucumber Slices, Onions, Avocado & Pickled Jalapenos.... so these items to filter into the cooking traditions a little bit... but are more of an exception than the norm.

This link talks about the presence of Turmeric root in Chiapas and confirms it is labeled as Azafran. Also briefly discusses how the indigenous people there use Ginger & Basil for medicine but not for eating (hence why I think Galangal might not fight the flavoring scheme)

http://www.mexconnect.com/forums/Areas_C2/Southern_Mexico_F13/Whores,_Turmeric,_Ginger_and_Basil_P145268/

Although I should note Ginger is used in making Birria in Michoacan & Jalisco, it is used in Mole Negro in Oaxaca. Also in Oaxaca they juice Basil with Cucumbers to make salad dressing that goes on Romaine, Cucumber Slices, Onions, Avocado & Pickled Jalapenos.... so these items to filter into the cooking traditions a little bit... but are more of an exception than the norm.

My Mexican neighbor says that the dried "galanga" root "chips" are used to make a "digestivo" tea. She has never heard of it being used in cooking. The "doctors" who sell it recommend it for abdominal complaints, liver problems and "wind." :blink:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett