• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Key limes/key lime juice

Google "Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice." That's as good as you're likely to find. There might be a local/national way to get that to your door.

I'd bring you some in December if it weren't for the stupid carry-on restrictions. (I don't check bags. I travel with a backpack that stows overhead.)

Key Limes are also called Mexican limes. They're smaller and rounder than a "normal" lime. Like all limes, they're ripe when they're yellow. The "green lime" thing was to differentiate them from lemons. That's why REAL Key Lime Pie is yellow. Not ever green. Green Key Lime Pie is an abomination.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Google "Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice." That's as good as you're likely to find. There might be a local/national way to get that to your door.

I'd bring you some in December if it weren't for the stupid carry-on restrictions. (I don't check bags. I travel with a backpack that stows overhead.)

Key Limes are also called Mexican limes. They're smaller and rounder than a "normal" lime. Like all limes, they're ripe when they're yellow. The "green lime" thing was to differentiate them from lemons. That's why REAL Key Lime Pie is yellow. Not ever green. Green Key Lime Pie is an abomination.

Let me also attest to the quality of Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice.

Key Lime Pies are a family favorite. I went to stay with my father and help him while my mother was in the final stages of Alzheimer's. She wouldn't eat many things, but she did still love her Key Lime Pies, so when I first arrived, I was making at least one or two a week. My dad bragged about me to the neighbors and said, "If you'd like a Key Lime Pie, too, I know my daughter will make you one, and hers are the best!" So next thing you know, I'm making them for the neighborhood.

It was simply impossible to keep up with this demand by squeezing those seedy little limes, so I decided to make one pie with Nellie & Joe's, and one with the fresh limes and see if anybody could tell the difference.

Nobody could. And I'm including myself in that.

Also, when I've lived places where I couldn't get fresh, at least not consistently (like Alaska), I ordered Nellie & Joe's. There's a serviceable recipe for Key Lime Pie on the N&J's label, although they had to change it a few years back to reflect cooking the pie (with the raw egg yolks) a bit longer than the traditional recipe called for. And that recipe is too sweet for us, so we add more lime juice than it calls for.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks both, I've managed to find it online for delivery! I've been trying to find them fresh and had no luck looking for Key limes, Mexican limes or West Indian limes (I'd even contacted a few West Indian delis in the area). I want as authentic a product as possible and now I'm a happy bunny again! :biggrin:

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

• 2 months later...

I recently moved to California from Oklahoma and went looking for Key Limes here ( I once lived in S. Yorkshire), they made a one week appearance at a Mexican grocery here. Other than that, no such luck. I have substituted persian lime and lemon juice mixed about 1/2 each along with the zest from each. Really a matter of personal taste. Plain HobNobs mixed with graham cracker make the best base (the more HobNobs, the less likely it will get soggy)If it stays around long enough for that. =)

I recently moved to California from Oklahoma and went looking for Key Limes here ( I once lived in S. Yorkshire), they made a one week appearance at a Mexican grocery here. Other than that, no such luck. I have substituted persian lime and lemon juice mixed about 1/2 each along with the zest from each. Really a matter of personal taste. Plain HobNobs mixed with graham cracker make the best base (the more HobNobs, the less likely it will get soggy)If it stays around long enough for that. =)

I must say, I find this surprising. I don't know in what part of California you are, but I used to live in Southern California and my son and his family currently live in the Bay Area. Never had a bit of trouble finding Key/Mexican limes. They usually come in a mesh bag. I was just out there visiting a few months back and bought a bag at their local Safeway. Even the WalMart in San Jose had them.

So I'd advise you not to give up.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I must say, I find this surprising. I don't know in what part of California you are, but I used to live in Southern California and my son and his family currently live in the Bay Area. Never had a bit of trouble finding Key/Mexican limes. They usually come in a mesh bag. I was just out there visiting a few months back and bought a bag at their local Safeway. Even the WalMart in San Jose had them.

So I'd advise you not to give up.

My experience is similar to Jaymes'. In San Diego, practically every store has them.

I live in the Antelope valley and every food market in this area, including the "Dollar" stores, carry Mexican limes.

They are cheaper at the Mexican supermarkets, Vallarta, but the Walmart superstores had a fairly good price (88¢ a bag) last Monday.

They are also usually on offer at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Sprouts and Fresh and Easy.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett