• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchenaid Grinder Attachment

BadRabbit

Will any other blade fit the Kitchenaid grinder or am I stuck with what came with it?

I was hoping that if another type blade won't fit it (e.g. a #5 grinder blade) that there was at least a quality aftermarket blade.

Edited by BadRabbit (log)

There was a guy on ebay selling 1/2" plates if that's what you're talking about. I think his name was DiveXtras

here he is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-5mm-Kitchenaid-Food-Grinder-Plate-/170529903576?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item27b45fd3d8

The plates are great.

if you want the actual knife, i did buy a different knife, and i had to grind away a piece of the metal square hub, otherwise it was too "thick". Once i ground it down a little it worked great. I don't remember the knife size, sorry. I must have found it somewhere based on diameter, and measured the original knife and found the closes one to it diametrically.

There was a guy on ebay selling 1/2" plates if that's what you're talking about. I think his name was DiveXtras

here he is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-5mm-Kitchenaid-Food-Grinder-Plate-/170529903576?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item27b45fd3d8

The plates are great.

if you want the actual knife, i did buy a different knife, and i had to grind away a piece of the metal square hub, otherwise it was too "thick". Once i ground it down a little it worked great. I don't remember the knife size, sorry. I must have found it somewhere based on diameter, and measured the original knife and found the closes one to it diametrically.

Yeah. I've bought the 1/2" plate already on someone here's recommendation (it may have been yours).

I was looking for the actual knife. When you say you ground it down, do you mean you had to change the size of the interior of the square hole or do you mean you ground down the thickness of the overall knife?

• 6 years later...

I've been using a food grinder attachment on my Kitchenaid stand mixer for grinding falafel, and it's worked great every time, except this last time when for whatever reason, lots of shredded onion bits got stuck in the die, and clogged the whole apparatus. What would cause that? I did everything the same as usual (used drained soaked dried beans, threw in chopped onion, garlic, and fresh herbs, all into the grinder)

1 hour ago, Hassouni said:

I've been using a food grinder attachment on my Kitchenaid stand mixer for grinding falafel, and it's worked great every time, except this last time when for whatever reason, lots of shredded onion bits got stuck in the die, and clogged the whole apparatus. What would cause that? I did everything the same as usual (used drained soaked dried beans, threw in chopped onion, garlic, and fresh herbs, all into the grinder)

I've used my KitchenAid grinder only for meat, but it may make a difference which way you insert the blade on the shaft.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou