• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Really basic question about tea brewing

Hassouni

So I've been brewing a lot of green tea in a pyrex measuring cup and straining it out into my mug (my tokoname kyusu is en route). I've been using measured amounts of tea and water, and precise timing. Until a couple weeks ago, I never did this, I just threw tea in a pot or in a strainer inserted in my mug, waited a minute for water to cool down a bit, then splashed water in.

With the more measured approach, I've noticed that the leaves hold on to a LOT of the water. This never seemed to be an issue when brewing with a strainer directly in the mug. I'd say from 200ml of water put in, about 150ml came out only, just 75%.

So if the instructions for the tea say add 4g leaves for 200ml water, would you add more than 200ml and the same amount of tea to get 200ml of final product, or would you add more of both?

I count the water added by estimation from the known volume of my cup, and ignore the volume of the leaves. So if I am describing brewing 1 g of leaf per 30mL water, that would bmean adding 2 grams of leaf to a gaiwan that holds about 60 mL at the usual volume to which I fill it (essentially the line where the lid meets the cup). If I get 45 mL of tea out, I drink that, and do not further dilute it unless I have made it too concentrated to be tasty.

• 4 months later...