• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gavi di Gavi

VivreManger

In a Lausanne restaurant a few weeks I had a glass of gavi di gavi. The waiter recommended it when I asked for a glass of dry white to go with my dorade. It is a pleasant wine.

I had never had it before and want to learn more about it. Any suggestions out there?

• 1 month later...

Gavi is a fine wine but can sometimes be ridiculously priced and misnamed (as in Gavi di Gavi, the best of the best, etc. it's just called Gavi). One that I do know is quite fine is the Princepessa Perlante. It runs about $16 (here in Pa.), is slightly frizzante and a lovely wine, worth the extra you'll pay for it.

Gavi is a wine produced from the Cortese grapes in Piemonte. IMO at its best, it is only a crisp and refreshing wine whose main attribute is that it is one of the few white wines made in Piemonte and fills that need when you are in the area and it is the only choice available. Its need outside Piemonte is somewhat more questionable considering other choices available at the same price.

The name Gavi dei Gavi was originally coined by La Scolca who first figured out how to sell Gavi for big bucks. This made all the other growers jealous and they demanded to be able to use the name too. The name itself means nothing and Gavi and Gavi dei Gavi are equal in quality.