• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Eating Las Vegas 2012, The 50 Essential Restaurants"

Last week, the second edition of "Eating Las Vegas 2012, The 50 Essential Restaurants" was released. My how things have changed in the Las Vegas restaurant scene in the past year. To refresh your memory, this was the "Top Ten," list that was included in the 2011, first edition:

-Alex, Wynn, (now closed and Chef Alex Stratta has landed in NYC)

-Bartolotta Ristorante di Mare, Wynn

-Bar Masa, Aria

-Cut, Palazzo

-Guy Savoy, Caesars Palace

-Joel Robuchon, MGM

-L'Atelier de Robuchon, MGM

-Picasso, Bellagio

-RM Seafood, Mandalay Place

-Twist, Mandarin Oriental

You can read our discussions about last year's Top Ten here.

Authored by the three most recognized, (and qualified), Las Vegas Food Writers--John Curtas, Al Mancini and Max Jacobson--the 2012 edition has three new surprise choices in the Top Ten:

-Bar Masa, Aria

-CUT, Palazzo

-Guy Savoy, Caesars Palace

-Joel Robuchon, MGM

-L'Atelier de Robuchon, MGM

-Picasso, Bellagio

-Twist, Mandarin Oriental

-Le Cirque, Bellagio, (new)

-Estiatorio Milos, Cosmopolitan (new)

-Michael Mina, Bellagio (new)

I have no real problems with the list, but I would say that in terms of service, cuisine and overall experience, Le Cirque is far above my most recent experiences at Twist and Guy Savoy. (You can read the reviews here).

While I respect the Michelin stars that Gagnaire and Savoy have garnered, the Maccioni Family and their Staff present a more memorable haute cuisine dining experience to their customers. I have never been on Rick Moonen's Top Chef bandwagon, so it is nice to see that both Milos and Michael Mina landed on the list in honor of their seafood-based cuisine. While both Milos and Bartolotta procure the freshest Medittereanean seafood, Milos hit a chord with the dining public when it opened last year with their 3-course under $25 lunch specials and a more convivial, and affordable, atmosphere than the competition down the street at Wynn.

My copy of Eating Las Vegas 2012 arrived yesterday. Both entertaining and informative. The book has reinforced my interest in dining at Le Cirque and lunching at Milos, as well as made me consider Michael Mina's cuisine as something to investigate. The veto section allows the reader to explore where the 3 authors are coming from in terms of food preferences to a greater and more entertaining degree than the chosen restaurants. I sure wouldn't want to argue with any of them.