• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Under-the-sink and in-line water filters

andiesenji

I've been using Berkey water purifiers for 30+ years, since I got the first unit installed in a motorhome in '78 - the name then was slightly different.

They have improved over the years and the capacity, particularly when you have multiple filters in a unit, is extended for a significant volume of water.

I do have an inline filter for the house water but for drinking water I use the Berkey and it is also for emergencies when the water supply may be compromised in an earthquake.

I have only the stainless steel ones, the Crown (with 6 elements) and two of the Travel Berkeys.

purchased from Pleasant Hill Grain

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've been using Berkey water purifiers for 30+ years, since I got the first unit installed in a motorhome in '78 - the name then was slightly different.

They have improved over the years and the capacity, particularly when you have multiple filters in a unit, is extended for a significant volume of water.

I do have an inline filter for the house water but for drinking water I use the Berkey and it is also for emergencies when the water supply may be compromised in an earthquake.

I have only the stainless steel ones, the Crown (with 6 elements) and two of the Travel Berkeys.

Hi Andie,

I get the difference between a travel and home unit. What I have not been able to understand from any of the websites offering Berky units: Is there a difference to the quality of filtering between using a 2 or 4 filter units? Is it just that a 4 unit does more volume or does 4 remove more particulates?

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Hi Andie,

I get the difference between a travel and home unit. What I have not been able to understand from any of the websites offering Berky units: Is there a difference to the quality of filtering between using a 2 or 4 filter units? Is it just that a 4 unit does more volume or does 4 remove more particulates?

The throughput or volume filtered is greater with additional filters. They all, even the Crown, work fine with just two if you are not in a hurry. It came with two but I added four more (it will take 8) to have a more rapid result because if we have interruption of the water supply, as I had in '94 when the well casing cracked, or infiltration of ground water into the well water, I need more volume for cooking, drinking and etc.

An odd law went into effect a year ago that keeps the Berkey filters from being sold in California. It is interesting that the movers behind the bill were bottled water companies so this whole thing is political, as far as I am concerned. The only other state that doesn't allow them is Iowa, I think. I get around it by having mine shipped to Nevada and drive over to get them.

I've written numerous letters and spoken to my state representatives but they profess to know nothing about it.

In any event, note that these are "purifiers" and not just filters. That is a huge difference when one is dealing with possible contaminants in the water.

I got one in my motorhome years ago because often when I traveled, I was suspicious of the water supplies in some campgrounds. Never got sick using the Berkey water. And it tastes very good.

The new inline filter in my house seems to add a chemical taste that I don't like but I have to have it because it is the only one compatible with my tankless water heaters.

Here is the Crown Berkey that lives in my pantry. That's a 14 cup Cuisinart beside it to give you an idea of the size.

HPIM3743.JPG

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hi Andie,

The throughput or volume filtered is greater with additional filters. They all, even the Crown, work fine with just two if you are not in a hurry. It came with two but I added four more (it will take 8) to have a more rapid result because if we have interruption of the water supply, as I had in '94 when the well casing cracked, or infiltration of ground water into the well water, I need more volume for cooking, drinking and etc.

An odd law went into effect a year ago that keeps the Berkey filters from being sold in California. It is interesting that the movers behind the bill were bottled water companies so this whole thing is political, as far as I am concerned. The only other state that doesn't allow them is Iowa, I think. I get around it by having mine shipped to Nevada and drive over to get them.

I've written numerous letters and spoken to my state representatives but they profess to know nothing about it.

In any event, note that these are "purifiers" and not just filters. That is a huge difference when one is dealing with possible contaminants in the water.

I got one in my motorhome years ago because often when I traveled, I was suspicious of the water supplies in some campgrounds. Never got sick using the Berkey water. And it tastes very good.

The new inline filter in my house seems to add a chemical taste that I don't like but I have to have it because it is the only one compatible with my tankless water heaters.

Here is the Crown Berkey that lives in my pantry. That's a 14 cup Cuisinart beside it to give you an idea of the size.

HPIM3743.JPG

Thank you for clearing (purifying :) it up. As usual your information is very helpful and informative. I just have to decide between the travel size and the big size.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

Steve, there are several sizes in between the biggest and the smallest Stainless steel units.

The little "Go Berkey" is something you carry around. I don't have one of those.

This is the smallest Stainless Steel or Travel Berkey

Travel Berkey.jpg

I took this photo in a motel room in New Mexico in 2008.

Steve, there are several sizes in between the biggest and the smallest Stainless steel units.

And I would add that I got the Big Berkey (which takes 4 elements), and I really wish I had gotten a bigger one. Yes, it's big enough, but it would be a lot handier to have the Crown. I live in a 2-person household, and we use the water for drinking and cooking.

I managed to find another Big Berkey with 4 elements for $3 at a thrift store, but that one lives in my partner's shop, so he can have filtered water out there. I don't know how often he fills his.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

And I would add that I got the Big Berkey (which takes 4 elements), and I really wish I had gotten a bigger one. Yes, it's big enough, but it would be a lot handier to have the Crown. I live in a 2-person household, and we use the water for drinking and cooking.

I managed to find another Big Berkey with 4 elements for $3 at a thrift store, but that one lives in my partner's shop, so he can have filtered water out there. I don't know how often he fills his.

There is a significant difference in the volume produced:

"The Crown is the largest Berkey® system. It comes equipped with either two or four Black Berkey® purifying elements, and can accept a maximum of eight elements. Lower storage tank capacity is 6 gallons. Flow rate is 6.5 gallons per hour with two elements, and 13 gph with four elements. The Crown Berkey® system, when configured with eight Black Berkey® purification elements, can purify up to 650 gallons per day (~27 gallons per hour) when the upper chamber is full. This is enough to provide for up to 325 people on a sustained basis and up to 1300 people on a short-term emergency basis. "

and

"The Big Berkey® is the fourth-largest Berkey® system. It comes equipped with either two or four Black Berkey® purifying elements, and can accept a maximum of four elements. Lower storage tank capacity is 2.25 gallons. Flow rate is 4 gallons per hour with two elements, and 8 gph with four elements. The Big Berkey® system, when configured with four Black Berkey® purification elements, can purify up to 190 gallons per day (~8 gallons per hour) when the upper chamber is full. Along with the Royal Berkey®, the Big Berkey® is one of our most popular Berkey water purifiers."

At the time of the '94 earthquake I had the Royal and was able to provide drinking and cooking water to my immediate neighbors but it was a stretch and would have been intolerable had it not been in January when the weather was cold.

A couple of year later I got the Crown.

There is a significant difference in the volume produced:

"The Crown is the largest Berkey® system. It comes equipped with either two or four Black Berkey® purifying elements, and can accept a maximum of eight elements. Lower storage tank capacity is 6 gallons. Flow rate is 6.5 gallons per hour with two elements, and 13 gph with four elements. The Crown Berkey® system, when configured with eight Black Berkey® purification elements, can purify up to 650 gallons per day (~27 gallons per hour) when the upper chamber is full. This is enough to provide for up to 325 people on a sustained basis and up to 1300 people on a short-term emergency basis. "

and

"The Big Berkey® is the fourth-largest Berkey® system. It comes equipped with either two or four Black Berkey® purifying elements, and can accept a maximum of four elements. Lower storage tank capacity is 2.25 gallons. Flow rate is 4 gallons per hour with two elements, and 8 gph with four elements. The Big Berkey® system, when configured with four Black Berkey® purification elements, can purify up to 190 gallons per day (~8 gallons per hour) when the upper chamber is full. Along with the Royal Berkey®, the Big Berkey® is one of our most popular Berkey water purifiers."

At the time of the '94 earthquake I had the Royal and was able to provide drinking and cooking water to my immediate neighbors but it was a stretch and would have been intolerable had it not been in January when the weather was cold.

A couple of year later I got the Crown.

Andie

Do you use the PF-2 elements along with the Black elements?

In the brochure I read:

"What’s more, Berkey® elements are re-cleanable and can be used over and over again."

1.How often do you replace your elements? Recommended in the brochure is every 3,000 gallons x number of elements.

2. Do you find that you have to clean the elements in-between replacement and are they easy to clean?

What size to get is going to depend on where we put it. Our kitchen is tiny with little floor area and limited counter space. If we put near the kitchen sink then the 'big' is it. If we put downstairs in the garage's laundry area we can go bigger. During the summer the garage gets hot though and then all the stairs when needing water. The kitchen it would be out in the open it is going to look ugly no matter what.

Your pantry is to die for!!!! Wish we had one.

Steve, I have the PF-2 filters but only use them when there is a possibility that the water supply is contaminated with ground water.

This area has a lot of arsenic in the soil - I'm not worried about fluoride, I grew up in an area where there is a lot in the water and as far as I know, it never harmed me or any of my family - the extra filtering also removes some other particulates that are in the soil in this area.

I have the Crown Berkey on a rolling cart so when it needs more than just replacing the water I use, I can roll it in next to the sink that has a pull out faucet to fill it.

Otherwise I just use a large plastic pitcher -1 1/2 gallon - and replace what I take out or actually put the fresh water in the top then take out an equal amount via the spigot.

I drain the unit completely, clean the filter elements about twice a year, and it has worked just fine that way. If I see that particulates are beginning to build up in the base of the top section, I clean it then. The water here has a lot of calcium and other minerals but not so much as in other places. Friends who live in Lompoc and have one have to clean the elements every sixty days - they have the Imperial with 4 filter elements. The water there is pretty bad.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

Steve, I have the PF-2 filters but only use them when there is a possibility that the water supply is contaminated with ground water.

This area has a lot of arsenic in the soil - I'm not worried about fluoride, I grew up in an area where there is a lot in the water and as far as I know, it never harmed me or any of my family - the extra filtering also removes some other particulates that are in the soil in this area.

I have the Crown Berkey on a rolling cart so when it needs more than just replacing the water I use, I can roll it in next to the sink that has a pull out faucet to fill it.

Otherwise I just use a large plastic pitcher -1 1/2 gallon - and replace what I take out or actually put the fresh water in the top then take out an equal amount via the spigot.

I drain the unit completely, clean the filter elements about twice a year, and it has worked just fine that way. If I see that particulates are beginning to build up in the base of the top section, I clean it then. The water here has a lot of calcium and other minerals but not so much as in other places. Friends who live in Lompoc and have one have to clean the elements every sixty days - they have the Imperial with 4 filter elements. The water there is pretty bad.

Decided on the Big Berky with 4 black elements, no PF-2s. 4 not because I need the speed of 4 but because I'm lazy and want 12,000 Gal volume before having to replace :) With 4 and no expiration date on the elements it should last me 36-48 months barring any catastrophes. Will keep in the garage and am shopping around for a floor stand as the sinks faucet hose won't reach the top of the BB, I'll fill like up like you.

If you add up the cost of replacing filters, it is cheaper by far to get an in-line system to filter the water to just your kitchen sink. You have a one-time cost for the installation and the filters generally are good for two to three years, depending on how much you use. inline undercounter filter systems

I have two of these type filters, one on the water supply to my icemaker and one to the refrigerator with icemaker since I had the whole house filter removed. The plumber charged me 146.00 for plumbing in both - I bought the systems myself.
Some you can install yourself, if you have the tools and are handy.

Andie, I completely agree... unfortunately, I'm in a rental apartment, and while I'm not averse to doing some "renovating", I think installing an in-line system is not really in the cards for me. I've drilled holes in my poured-concrete ceiling to mount a pot rack, and other easily concealable things (necessary when we eventually move out), but I think there's really no way to hide a 1/2" hole drilled into my sink or countertop... So, for the forseeable future, I'm stuck with the expensive faucet mount version....

Andie, I completely agree... unfortunately, I'm in a rental apartment, and while I'm not averse to doing some "renovating", I think installing an in-line system is not really in the cards for me. I've drilled holes in my poured-concrete ceiling to mount a pot rack, and other easily concealable things (necessary when we eventually move out), but I think there's really no way to hide a 1/2" hole drilled into my sink or countertop... So, for the forseeable future, I'm stuck with the expensive faucet mount version....

For the basic inline filters you don't need to drill a hole in your sink. The filter goes onto the cold water line under the sink and you can take it out and take it with you when you move.

In my office, we had a reverse osmosis filter under the sink in the lab and when we moved to a new office we took it with us and put the original line back as it was.

Such an installation is not considered a "permanent" fixture.

For the basic inline filters you don't need to drill a hole in your sink. The filter goes onto the cold water line under the sink and you can take it out and take it with you when you move.

In my office, we had a reverse osmosis filter under the sink in the lab and when we moved to a new office we took it with us and put the original line back as it was.

Wow! I looked at the installation instructions of the basic model of the link you provided, and it seemed like they were intending you to permanently install the included spigot. Maybe, instead of the spigot, I could use a hose/valve that I could stash under the sink when not in use? Is that what you're talking about? Otherwise, did the RO filter connect in between the cold water line/regular faucet full time?

Wow! I looked at the installation instructions of the basic model of the link you provided, and it seemed like they were intending you to permanently install the included spigot. Maybe, instead of the spigot, I could use a hose/valve that I could stash under the sink when not in use? Is that what you're talking about? Otherwise, did the RO filter connect in between the cold water line/regular faucet full time?

Look at various brands of inline filters. most simply connect to the cold water line that goes to your sink faucet so when it is turned just to cold you get filtered water. If you have a single control "mixer" some filtered water will be mixed with the hot but it isn't a huge draw on the filter.

You shouldn't need a separate hose or a separate delivery system, just the regular faucet.

I'll look for the site that has detailed drawings for installing various types of filters. I know I have it bookmarked somewhere, just can't find it right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Andie,

I just came across this website that will ship to California. At the bottom of the page, you can see what they have to say about it...

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

Got the Big Berky yesterday and have run a few galleons thru the filters to make sure they are primed correctly.

Later will try some. Stay tuned for a taste report.

• 9 months later...

So, water quality in my town is bad (hard), and the pipes in this place are pretty old. Water from the tap tastes horrible, like baking soda with a metallic aftertaste. Since this place is a rental I'd like to get an under the sink (as opposed to in line, whole house) filter.

Does anyone have suggestions? I'd prefer something with a washable pre-filter on the assumption that they'll prevent the actual filter from clogging on sediment. Something that uses filters commonly available in retail stores is pretty much a prerequisite, since I can't just order online. I'll start seeing what's available here based on your recs.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

• 2 months later...

I just installed a water softener with a sediment filter in front of it and a whole house charcoal filter after it. And I've ordered a reverse osmosis filter for under the sink. Sears carried everything.

This might not be an answer for your rental unit, although you might ask your landlord for a break -- particularly if you tell him that you are thinking of moving, because the water tastes so bad.

But in my case, I was tired of all of the calcium buildup on glassware, and especially on my immersion circulator.

The RO unit should get rid of the residual sodium and other nasties in the drinking water, but it doesn't make enough for dishwashing, etc.

• 9 months later...

Andie,

I've had my Big Berkey for a while, now, and I noticed, a few weeks ago, that the spigot was leaking. The white washer on the outside was cracked. I replaced it with a rubber washer for a 5/8" hose, and had Warren tighten it. It worked well for about a week, but now if I turn the spigot handle, it's torquing the whole spigot such that the washer moves far enough away from the metal to allow water leakage.

I am not thrilled with their spigot, and I'm going to find a brass or stainless replacement, but I was wondering if you have had such issues.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

Andie,

I've had my Big Berkey for a while, now, and I noticed, a few weeks ago, that the spigot was leaking. The white washer on the outside was cracked. I replaced it with a rubber washer for a 5/8" hose, and had Warren tighten it. It worked well for about a week, but now if I turn the spigot handle, it's torquing the whole spigot such that the washer moves far enough away from the metal to allow water leakage.

I am not thrilled with their spigot, and I'm going to find a brass or stainless replacement, but I was wondering if you have had such issues.

I have a couple of extra spigots and I replace about every 4-5 years. They are not all that expensive. I'm sure you can find a stainless spigot too, I've just never bothered.