• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Food Truck Recommendations

mskerr

Hi all,

I'm researching how to start a food truck, writing up menus, etc. Just wondering - what was the best meal you ate from a food truck/trailer/cart? And what would you like to see from a truck?

As for me, I had the tastiest (lamb) burger of my life out of a trailer in New Zealand (which got this whole project started), but I'm equally partial to a no-frills carne asada taco or burrito from a genuine Mexican taco truck - and we're blessed with heaps of them in my area near the San Joaquin valley. $5 for a huge, delicious, filling burrito and $1 for Jarritos. I love California.

Two years ago at a gourd festival in Darke County Ohio. A pulled pork sandwich to die for. The beginning of a whole new life for us. I'd never had pulled pork before.

Yes, you can live to an advanced age and never eat pulled pork. My Mother never cooked pork and neither did I.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

For me, it's a tie. The first best meal was a large plate of roast suckling pig pulled into chunks, with tiny red chorizo sausage, llapingachos (a type of potato pancake), shredded red lettuce salad, and half an avocado. The second "best" was a hot candied fig sandwich with fresh cheese on fresh bread.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Odd Duck in Austin, TX.

A pork belly slider with sauerkraut and shaved turnips and aioli -- fatty, crispy heaven between a bun. Creamy, cheesy, perfect goat cheese grits with a poached duck egg, wild mushrooms, and grilled turnip. A punch in the face of sweet umami flavor. Fresh shrimp, perfectly cooked and so sweet, served with arugula, broccoli, texamati rice, sherry vinegar, and gruyere cheese was great but my friends didn't think much of the salad/rice combo. Venison sausage with sweet potato salad, cheddar, aioli, and pecans was great and gamey. Amazing. And they were out of 1/2 the menu by the time we rolled up around 6:30pm on a Saturday (menu changes daily, very market-driven). I'd definitely go back and bring a bottle of wine next time (they are BYOB and parked permanently in an empty lot, surrounded by picnic tables, and Christmas lights).

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Foie Gras and Chips...absolutely delicious. From a food cart in Portland called Euro Trash. I also loooove the potato and cheese pierogis from Taste of Poland in the food cart pod by my husband's office. Dammit, now I'm hungry!

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

The Austin BYOB food trailer parks are awesome! I didn't eat at Odd Duck cuz I was traveling alone and didn't venture out much in the evening, but I did have lunch at Trey's in the same lot, complete with a 32 of High Life. The perfect way to eat a meal out.

The Flying Carpet Moroccan Trailer was also great, and the owner "Big Abdu" was one of the friendliest people I've ever met. He told me all sorts of useful stuff about running a food truck and was just an all-around lovely guy.

My next trip will hopefully be to Portland, I can't wait to check out the carts there when the rainy season's over. Any other Portland recommendations? Or Seattle?

Oooh I've got tons of recs for foodcarts in PDX! They are open all year...you don't have to wait for the rain to stop! Lol...there are quite a few pods around, I really like the "good food here" pod on division, and cartopia on Hawthorne. The fries at potato champion and the pizza at pyro are great. When you're closer to your trip date, shoot me a PM and I can help you develop a plan of attack. I did some carts on my egullet blog (here) if you want to see some pictures too.

Cheers, I will get in touch with you! I'm thinking about going to Portland in the spring (check out the cherry blossoms too?), and definitely want to hit:

Nuevo Mexico

Nong's

Ziba's Pitas

Schnitzelwich

Noodle House

Koi Fusion

Aybla Grill

Viking Soul Food

The People's Pig

Swamp Shack

Reckon I'll take the train up to Seattle for a few days too. Interested in:

Hallava Falafel

Marination Mobile

Maximus/Minimus

Skillet

Where Ya At

...and a few others...

Anyone been to these trucks/ carts?

My husband goes to Nong's on a regular basis, that's his favorite. Schnitzelwich is also pretty tasty. People's pig is supposed to be really good as well. My husband says if you eat a Supermac at Brunchbox he'll introduce you to the guy who runs the Portland Food Carts website, lol, but I don't know if a pound of beef and half a pound of bacon is worth it, nice though he may be :laugh:.

• 2 months later...