• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vintage Chocolate Mold technique

lambrecht gourmet

I have a Gami Tempering machine I just recently purchased. It is wonderful, I might add. However, I have some vintage Christmas and Easter molds I have been playing with. Does anyone know the correct technique for using these old molds? I have tried filling the mold completely. I have tried pouring in chocolate and rotating around many times and pouring out excess. Each time, the chocolate figure comes out of the mold easily, but they all seem to crack. Sometimes in half, sometimes just a piece. Any suggestions?

David Smith

I have a Gami Tempering machine I just recently purchased. It is wonderful, I might add. However, I have some vintage Christmas and Easter molds I have been playing with. Does anyone know the correct technique for using these old molds? I have tried filling the mold completely. I have tried pouring in chocolate and rotating around many times and pouring out excess. Each time, the chocolate figure comes out of the mold easily, but they all seem to crack. Sometimes in half, sometimes just a piece. Any suggestions?

Big molds tend to develop stress areas and are often a victim of cracks. Thanks to a suggestion from Elaine Gonzalez (chocartist) I've had less trouble with this happening.

After you place your mold in the fridge, as soon as possible remove a number of the clips, especially from areas where the cracks are likely to happen (areas where it narrows like necks etc).

Have you tried brushing a few layers of chocolate in each half, then clipping and pouring? If you brush in different directions, it might strengthen it. I always brush my bunnies, just to make sure I get all the nooks filled in.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com