• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Food Blog: nikkib (2011)

nikkib

At lunch i managed to pop out and went for another classic Hawker dish - Rojak, a traditional Indonesian fruit/root vegetable salad with pineapple, bean sprouts, jicama, cucumber and woo kok crispy tofu in a chilli, belacan, lime, tamarind and palm sugar and toped with crushed peanuts.

securedownload.jpg

Ahh thank you! Rojak was one of the dishes I fondly remember. I need to acquire some belacan in order to replicate it.

Without wishing to spark an international incident with the US post office, I can post some if it's hard to find stateside...

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Breakfast today was another roti prata, this time an egg version with vegetarian curry sauce - i also have re posted the roti from the other day as that appears to have vanished from my previous post. I prefer the plain rotis on reflection this one is a bit too like an omelette and less like a bread (they crack the egg on top of the bread and then flip it over/fold it so the egg is inside the bread almost fully fried - very clever!)

020.JPG

securedownload.jpg

I had a couple of coffees at work and then was able to get out for a bite to eat this afternoon - Mee Hoon or Bee Hoon is a fried noodle dish, i wasnt really sure which version i was going to get - in the end it was bee hoon goreng, a fried version with mutton stirred through it, the large pieces were a little chewy so i left those. It also had egg, dried peas, shallots and chilli and was served with fresh cucumber slices to temper the heat.

securedownload1.jpg

Edited by nikkib (log)

In place of a proper dinner after such a heavy lunch, i settled for a couple of kueh pie tee another popular peranaken dish. It is a thin, crispy pastry cup which is filled with stewed spicy, sweet vegetables such as white radish and mushroom, a couple of small prawns and fresh coriander complete the dish.

002.JPG

Thought you may like to see some photos of some of the produce at the night market in Little India on Sundays, it is absolutely packed!

005.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

012.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

Edited by nikkib (log)

So that's what Japan's "biifun" is supposed to be comes from.

Looks like it blether doesnt it! Places sell both bee hoon and mee hoon here and i cannot seem to find a difference in those either!

Sorry i didnt get to do more supermarket/market shots. I had all these amazing plans for the week that were abandoned when i realised my shedule wouldn't accomodate it all - really wish i could have shown you more hawker centres,curry puffs, mee siam, laksa, mee rebus, stingray aarrggghhhh the list goes on and on! Will aim to keep the singapore eating page updated with some better info/more pictures in the weeks/months to come and like i said before, if any of you do head over here, look me up for a drink!

Ok so i am now relaxing at home, G&T in hand. I hope you have enjoyed my foodblog - if anyone has any questions or comments i will do my best to reply - Thanks for reading!!

securedownload.jpg

Ok so i am now relaxing at home, G&T in hand. I hope you have enjoyed my foodblog - if anyone has any questions or comments i will do my best to reply - Thanks for reading!!

securedownload.jpg

I have those exact same coffee cups! A dozen for 3000LL....

Thanks for showing us Singapore. I had always wanted to visit and finally made it a couple of years ago just after Tet. It was great, but there was a Heat Wave! Like normal isn't hot enough. We could have eaten better having seen your blog....but hard to go wrong from the food courts to the street markets.

Hope you don't mind a couple of pictures....the outdoor kitchen at Raffles (didn't eat OR drink there), and Kaya toast.....YUM.

IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

Edited by JTravel (log)

securedownload.jpg

I have those exact same coffee cups! A dozen for 3000LL....

Couldnt leave Lebanon without them!

Thanks for showing us Singapore. I had always wanted to visit and finally made it a couple of years ago just after Tet. It was great, but there was a Heat Wave! Like normal isn't hot enough. We could have eaten better having seen your blog....but hard to go wrong from the food courts to the street markets.

Hope you don't mind a couple of pictures....the outdoor kitchen at Raffles (didn't eat OR drink there), and Kaya toast.....YUM.

Couldn't agree more - the standard of eating is very high indeed, certain places seem to excel at certain dishes but I have yet to gave a really "duff" meal anywhere! That's what makes it so fun in my opinion! Glad you enjoyed it!

Thank you so much, nikkib, for taking the time to share your food world with us.

I just started reading Cheryl Tan's memoir, A Tiger in the Kitchen, about her return to Singapore to explore the family, cooking and culture she grew up with. Your blog photos gave me a colorful glimpse into the world that Tan describes in words. As I read about another new dish in the book, I've been returning to your blog to see if it's one that you've pictured.

Thanks!

Thank you so much, nikkib, for taking the time to share your food world with us.

I just started reading Cheryl Tan's memoir, A Tiger in the Kitchen, about her return to Singapore to explore the family, cooking and culture she grew up with. Your blog photos gave me a colorful glimpse into the world that Tan describes in words. As I read about another new dish in the book, I've been returning to your blog to see if it's one that you've pictured.

Thanks!

Thanks! Sounds like an interesting read I should check out! Glad you enjoyed it!