• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Mejor Pan de Tecate

kalypso

Yesterday 4 friends and I spent the day in Tecate, which is located on the border about 30 miles due East of Tijuana. It's an easy day trip from San Diego and with only about 320,000 residents it's got a much slower pace than either Tijuana or San Diego. Aside from being known for it's beer, Tecate also has a reputation as a first rate bakery town, and El Mejor Pan de Tecate is one of the big reasons.

It's a short (less than 5 mintues) walk from the border; your nose will let you know when you're close. Not only does the aroma lure you in, once inside the choices are numerous and the choices difficult since each one looks better than the one previous to it. We each purchased several pastries and weren't disappointed in any of them. Most items are baked in a wood fired oven, which most likely does add to the depth of flavor some of the items have.

The link can probably better show their variety - El Mejor Pan de Tecate

Lots of photos of their various items. If you can read Spanish, click over to the Spanish version as the English translation is funky at best.

This stuff is addictive and it's a good thing I don't live closer than I already do or I'd be their weekly for a fix.

El Mejor Pan de Tecate

Av. Juárez 331

Zona Centro

Tecate, BC, Mexico

2011-11-11+11.18.481.jpg

I love this bakery and have been going there for at least 20 years. They also bake their bolillos in the traditional meathod....the crusty rolls smell so wonderful when you break one open and slather it with sweet cream butter. Thank you for the post.

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop playing"

Tecate is also famous for its health spa, Rancho la Puerta.

The meals there are said to be wonderful, featuring produce fresh from their organic gardens. They also have a culinary center, with hands-on classes teaching the preparation of healthy foods.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Tecate is also famous for its health spa, Rancho la Puerta.

The meals there are said to be wonderful, featuring produce fresh from their organic gardens. They also have a culinary center, with hands-on classes teaching the preparation of healthy foods.

Yep, Rancho La Puerta is, indeed, located in Tecate. The facility is surprisingly large and spread out. It's been around a long time (50+ years, IIRC) so it's kind of just engulfed things as it grew. Between the way the grounds have been planted and tended, the art work and the buildings that blend in so well, it's just a very beautiful and serene spot.

Their meals are wonderful. If I could cook and feed myself like that I would happily be a vegetarian or vegan :laugh: The depth of flavors they extract and develop in nearly all their dishes is quite amazing to me. They accommodate almost all dietary restrictions...gluten free? No problema. Lactose intolerant? No problema. Diabetic? No problema. Protein is usually limited to fish and isn't always served daily. Almost all their products are organic, local and sustainable...and have been for years. RLP was well ahead of the curve with this trend. A good friend of mine used to be the organic farmer manager for RLP

Their cooking school is called Cocina Que Canta, which I think is a great name, as the food that comes out of it does sing, with flavor, creativity and freshness. It's a fairly new facility built on the grounds of one of their farms, and is well equipped. Guests taking (the mostly hands-on) cooking classes have the option to hike or van to Cocina Que Canta for their classes.

There is a reason RLP has been voted the #1 destination spa in the world. It is an amazing property with amazing services. No question it is pricey, but for anyone who happens to be in the San Diego area (or willing to travel there), they also offer a program called Saturdays at the Ranch for $215 that includes transportation to and from SD, fitness classes, a spa treatment, access to their dining room, a hands-on cooking class and dinner. I've done the Saturday thing and it's a great way to spend the day.