• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing egg yolks

greenbean

I do it all the time when I use whites for cocktails or whatever. Just put them into a container and bung them into the freezer.

Keep in mind that thawed yolks will not have the same texture as they did before freezing (more "custardy" than runny). But they still work perfectly for egg yolk pasta, etc.

--

I've been freezing eggs for re-use for years as well, ideal for using in baking, normally (as Edward J said) in small batches of about 4 for defrosting purposes (I never re-freeze eggs so more would be a waste).

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

I've tried freezing yolks a couple of times ... doing them plain I just end up with lumpy revoltingness that is useless for anything other than scrambled eggs ... mixing them with salt or sugar, I get useable yolks (you just have to mark which you've done - sweet or savoury).

• 4 weeks later...