• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Herb preservation (short term)

David Sundstrom

I've been getting a lot of fresh herbs from the farmers market (basil, arugula, etc). These usually go in the fridge. In a day or two they start to look pretty sad.

I was wondering what techniques people use to keep herbs fresh they intend to use during the week (I know growing my own and picking when needed would be best, but sometimes that doesn't happen). Keeping them in a glass of water did nothing. Keeping them out on the counter did nothing. They last longer in the fridge, more if sealed in plastic. Vacuum sealing lightly (as to not crush them) helped too, but I remember the warnings of herbs in anaerobic environments and botulism. (surely there is enough oxygen even in the vacuum sealed bag?). I though of blanching, which is supposed to deactivate the enzymes that cause things like basil to brown. Would it help for storage? I've heard of packing basil in salt, but that seems a bit tedious....

I'm wondering if there are any tips and tricks for keeping your herbs and other weekly greens fresh.

I am a fan of wrapping paper towel around the bunch and putting in the plastic bag loosely closed so that air can still get in. There are many who favor the "vase" method where you put the non-oily herbs like parsley, cilantro and basil in a jar with water and keep them either on the counter or in the fridge. Slime is your enemy - so remove any slimy parts right away as they will take the whole bunch down. I must say that I always have fresh herbs around and almost never have to discard them. If your cooking is not using them quickly then make a simple pesto rather than letting them languish.

Alot of times, I will just put the herbs, in a glass of water on the counter, plump the herbs, then remove em ( cut off a little of the stems ) or leave em--- bag them in a wet paper towel wrapped around the stem if desired. Works well with parsley and cilantro, I don't think basil does real good in a bag with moisture.

Thyme and oregano.. i think I usually bag.

Field greens, wash/spin and hold in one of those salad spinners.

Just a few ideas

Its good to have Morels

I find that rosemary, tarragon and parsley do just fine for a day or two on the counter in a glass of water, but basil ... not so much.

I have read that the salt method works well for basil, but I haven't tried it yet. I have a bunch to pick now before the cold weather gets it, so I'll do that this weekend. Apparently the salt does not take on a basil flavor.

As an alternative to pesto, you can make a basil-flavored salt by processing a cup of fresh basil with 1/3 cup of kosher salt and then spreading it on a half-sheet pan and baking it at low temp. until it's dry - wonderful on tomatoes and a nice holiday gift.

(edited to fix typo)

Edited by Special K (log)