• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bagel-cutting safety

Fat Guy

I just inflicted a very ugly stab wound upon my left hand while cutting a bagel. This happens to me a couple of times a decade.

There are those guillotine bagel cutters available, but I just can't bring myself to use one.

So, what are the strategies for never suffering one of these bagel-cutting injuries again?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It spends minimal time in my hand. In my hand, I'll start cutting a little on one edge to get through some crust so the knife won't slip, but then the bagel goes on its side (so it looks like a wheel) on a table or other surface and I hold it with my hand arched above where the knife is. (Edit for clarity: This way, I can stab down if faced with an inadequate cutting utensil.)

I've never cut myself slicing a bagel, though because of my age I don't have as long a recordable history of bagel cutting as some here might. I did witness a peer slice his finger open cutting a bagel with a plastic knife when I was 12, though.

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I say flat as above flat is the most stable to start off with.

or wheel with the (L or R hand, depending on which hand has the knife)

pinch the bagel with the thumb and first finger and then thread a serrated or not knife between then and slice donw.

it would be very interesting to hear a more complete description of the technique used to sustain the injury.

and never ever let one's mind wander with a knife in either hand.

a very sharp knife too .

Edited by rotuts (log)

I just inflicted a very ugly stab wound upon my left hand while cutting a bagel. This happens to me a couple of times a decade.

There are those guillotine bagel cutters available, but I just can't bring myself to use one.

So, what are the strategies for never suffering one of these bagel-cutting injuries again?

I lightly "pinch" the bagle, vertically. My serrated knife fits in the space between my thumb and index finger. Then it's just a matter of cutting straight down. There's no chance of injury, because there is no part of my hand close to the sharp edge of the knife.

I don't like the horizontal method, because I never get an even cut that way.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Scoop: That is my exact technique. Today my hand was out of the correct plane so when I brought the knife around to make that first cut I stabbed my pinching hand with the tip. Yes, I think it may be stupidity rather than bad technique that is responsible here.

P1010497.JPG

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I put them down flat on their sides, put one hand over the top and slice sideways through the middle with a serrated knife.

Exactly how I do it, except I rotate the bagel a bit while cutting. I got into the habit of rotating by torting a lot of cakes. But, anyway, this is the standard procedure taught in school for cutting baked goods.

If the bagels are very fresh, I use the flat on the board method. If they're even a little stale, I stand them on edge, arch my hand over the top, pinch the bread gently, and slice downwards.

Always with a sharp serrated knife, and never letting my attention wander..

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

This is a very old lady talking: buy one of those "guillotine bagel cutters available, but I just can't bring myself to use one" things. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

It spends minimal time in my hand. In my hand, I'll start cutting a little on one edge to get through some crust so the knife won't slip, but then the bagel goes on its side (so it looks like a wheel) on a table or other surface and I hold it with my hand arched above where the knife is. (Edit for clarity: This way, I can stab down if faced with an inadequate cutting utensil.)

ditto

I last cut into my palm in college, I won't do it again.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I put them down flat on their sides, put one hand over the top and slice sideways through the middle with a serrated knife.

Same here. In fact, I do this when slicing rolls or pieces of ciabatta, too.

This.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Pay attention to what you're doing :wink: .

I have developed a new strategy over the past couple of years...I think what got me started with it was the gigantic - azation of the modern bagel.

So, I put them on the board horizontally, then cut them through on their diameter. I now have two perfect half bagels. These get cut in half by putting the now-flat surface of the half bagel on the board, and slicing down with my good bread knife.

But, pay attention.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I have one of the guillotine bagel slicers and I use it all the time, in fact I'm on my third because I use it so much the blades got dull and they were not all that expensive.

Although the most recent one is a "commercial" model with a replaceable blade.

The original Bagel Biter was supposed to have a blade that was replaceable but the replacement was flimsy and bent after a few weeks of use. Must have been that pumpernickel bagel. :laugh:

Oh yeah, I have arthritis in my hands and my left hand is weak due to nerve damage in my neck so holding a bagel was chancy at best.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I didnt know that those Bagel Thing-eees had there own blade

I thought you put the bagel in the Lexan/Plastic Thing-ee and then cut down the middle with your own knife.

imagine the number of injuries each year from " operator failure "

:blink:

another thought:

I have the Granton (from UK) serrated bread knife. I love it: light etc it does not have the true Granton edge.

i also have the serrated henkels knife. it has a sharp tip

the Granton does not. think injuries.

I very surprised that so few ( it seems ) here have the true granton knives from GB.

What kind of knife were you using? We reboxed the guillotine after one use and sold it at a yard sale. The pinch and a really sharp bread knife glides through.

I use a MAC 10.5" but the Tojiro costs less but is supposed to be just as good.

Everyone who cooks is bound to cut themselves now and again no matter what.

Edited by Mano (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

I don't like bagel guillotines. I play hockey a couple of mornings a week, and after that I don't have the energy to drive the hour or so home from the rink without a boost. So I stop at a supermarket along the way, grab a packet of almond butter from the stash I keep in the car before heading inside, purchase a bagel, and then use their guillotine to slice it before spurting the almond butter on. Best case: the guillotine smashes the bagel while it slices through. Worst and more often case: the inside of the bagel gets shredded and compressed and the bagel gets smashed in the process of slicing. So lately, I've started asking the people working in the bakery section to please slice the bagel for me with a knife. They complain about doing it, and I've had them tell me they aren't supposed to do so, but they usually do it anyway. End result: an unsmashed, uncompressed, sliced bagel.

My preferred technique, when I have a knife, is to hold it upright, thumb on one side and fingers on the other, and use a sharp serrated knife to slice through. But keep in mind that what I get around here is a subpar upstate bagel!

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

If the inside of the bagel or any part is shredded or not sliced cleanly then the blade is dull.

That's why I have purchased 3.

I have excellent serrated knives that cut any kind of bread cleanly. I CAN'T hold a bagel with my left hand securely enough to cut it cleanly with a knife.

If you have full strength in both hands and can handle a knife without harming yourself, then you don't need a bagel slicer of any kind. I do and I have tried all the various types - the ones with a slot for a knife (both wood and plastic) and even tried one of the newest types, the "Brooklyn Bagel slicer" which was a joke and was returned immediately.

It is useless unless you have a very thin bagel.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett