• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eric Asimov Does the Times Good

weinoo

Today's paper offers us the third restaurant review (in this run as interim critic) from Eric Asimov, the NY Times' chief wine writer, and the creator of the Times' $25 and under column.

The review is a 2 star review of the restaurant Rouge et Blanc.

I like this guy's reviews of NYC restaurants perhaps more than any other reviewer I've read over the years. No pretension, no bullshit, and I actually understand what the heck he's writing about. Makes me wonder why he doesn't get the job permanently (well, perhaps he doesn't want it). You?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Couldn't be more different than Sifton (whom I knew in college, and liked) - but it's maybe a refreshing change to have less of the sociocultural setting and more focus on the food. And of course, given Eric's background, the wines.

This restaurant seems like an inspired choice for a review too - it's blocks from my office, I'm pretty educated about what's out there, and it totally slipped under my radar. And what could be prettier & more tantalizing than that photo of the whole fried rouget?

Asimov would not be a bad choice for next permanent reviewer... better, I suspect, than whomever they do choose.

I like this guy's reviews of NYC restaurants perhaps more than any other reviewer I've read over the years. No pretension, no bullshit, and I actually understand what the heck he's writing about. Makes me wonder why he doesn't get the job permanently (well, perhaps he doesn't want it).

he's awesome. i appreciate eric's straightforward descriptions that actually make me want to try the dish. i'm not a fan of critics who resort to a contrived figure of speech when a tangible adjective will do. i'm hooked after his first paragraph and walk away more knowledgable.

perhaps eric would be reluctant to give up his role as the wine editor, but i hope he'll be named the next NYT restaurant critic.

From what I understand, Azimov has made clear he wants to keep the wine beat, and has turned down the permanent restaurant reviewer post at least once in the past and maybe twice.

Right; Asimov is probably the most qualified guy on the staff. He could have had the job, in a heartbeat, if he'd wanted it.