• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourcing Myoga

banffcook

I was just wondering if anyone knew where i can find or order from the internet some myoga or myoga roots so that I could start growing it? My wife would really like to get some, it really helps with her health. By the way we are in London Ontario Canada.

I'm not sure about sourcing the plants, but Sanko in Toronto carries myoga, at least intermittently. I bought some from them a few weeks ago, and pickled them. (I've still got a couple left.) Maybe give them a call and see if they can tell you when they'll next have them in, or ask if they can ship them to you.

What do you plan to do with them? I bought them simply because I'd read about them but never tried them. I've mostly been using them in the place of pickled ginger since then.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

No, I wouldn't say it's as spicy as root ginger. It's got most of the same aroma, though... maybe a bit more floral. And the texture reminds me of allium, because of the way it's layered. It's pretty cool, but I have no idea how to use it in a home cooking context, though it would be easy to incorporate into a fancier dish.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara