• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drying whole fish for Korean cuisine

Hi all - I want to dry some whole white fish and I was advised that the best method is to gut and clean it, wash it thoroughly, rinse it in salt water and hang it outside in the air for one or two days. Does this sound right to everyone here? Is there something else special I ought to do? Also, when it is dried do I rinse it before storing it in the freezer? I plan to roast it whole Korean style.

I have seen it on Korean dramas :) I cook Korean food a lot and this is one dish I can't find a recipe for. The fish is medium sized - small enough to fit on a dish to be shared by four people at the table - about the size of a mackerel I guess (which is the fish I am using).

I've had dried mackerel, and my favourite Yellow croaker/corvina dried that way. The one thing I did find besides the japanese way of making Salted mackerel I found some directions on a scientific journal abstract on Gulbi (Corvina) drying. Gulbi Paper

In the methods it seems they used a salt and weight of the fish ratio. 30:100.

They salted the fish for 12 hrs, rinsed twice, and then air dried in the sun for 3 months (traditional method)

Then the others they ran them in hot air dryers at varying temperatures, for shorter times. 30-35C being optimal.

:blink:

Keep us updated, as to what you end up doing. I am so incredibly curious. I couldn't find much info than what I had written. Good luck.

just the other day I was reading about drying mackerel in Secrets of the Red Lantern.

It's a semi dried fish so it should be eaten within 2 days.

Mackerel cutlets are washed very well to remove residual blood then dried well. Sea salt is massaged on each side of the fish, with reasonable pressure, without distroying the flesh. Cover with cheesecloth to let moisture drain away. Then the fish is dried in filtered sunlight for 4-6 hours.

Shallow fry and serve with dipping fish sauce.

He talks about drying in the oven on very low heat for different hours. I'm thinkign about a dehydratator, same temperature as for jerky (75 C).

You made my think about my mother in law (chinese), once at my parent's house in the south of italy, she semi sun-dried some anchovies and deep fried. The best. Maybe I should do that with anchovies...

Edited by Franci (log)