• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drifting away from cooking

In your bio--taken from Amazon--it says that you "discovered that as [your] chef star rose [you] drifted far, far away from cooking". Could you elaborate on that, please? I wondered whether this meant that as a chef you had less hands-on experience in the restaurant or whether you missed "home cooking" and the pleasures associated with that.

I direct a team of 40 in the kitchen and we can seat 90 in once shot in the main dining room, as well as 90 in the private dining room. If I cook for (let's say) 15 people, I cannot see the food for the other 75. My job as a Chef is to mentor my team, create, and control the quality of the food for everybody.

This is what I mean when I say, I cook less.

On the weekends, however, I cook at home very often and I take great pleasure in doing so...