• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eden Center Favorites

Hassouni

So I go to Eden Center often once a week or more, partially because I love the place, and also because nothing cures a slight hangover like pho.

My general purpose low-key place is Hai Duong, who do a great pho, bun cha, and banh xeo. Best pho overall that I've had there is probably Pho Xe Lua, but they're more expensive and only take cash. For all purpose Viet food in a nicer setting, I like either Viet Bistro because of the outdoor seating, or in bad weather, Viet Taste. For banh mi, the best is Song Que, but I think one the delis around the corner to (the middle one, there are 3 then Sonq Que) does the best sinh to (smoothies).

There are still dozens more restaurants there, of which I've been to maybe 4 (Viet Royale, 2 other pho places, and one tiny place serving non-pho noodle soups as highly recommended by Tyler Cowen, plus a couple other delis for sinh to). What are your favorites?

I like Viet Bistro as well. They have a great variety of items on the menu. For Bahn Mi I like the deli that is right in the back corner of the center. I believe it is Song Que. I haven't tried any of the Pho places. I am a big fan of Pho 75. Have you been to any of their locations? If so, how would you compare the ones you mention to Pho 75?

Song Que is indeed in the corner (right on front of the new fountain they built), next to Viet Royale, the one whose storefront faces ultimately Wilson Blvd, and it's the biggest such deli. If that's the one you mean, yeah they definitely have the best banh mi.

I like Pho 75 (been to the Rosslyn and Herndon ones),but a) Eden Center is closer to me, and b) I don't like how they ONLY have pho, not even cha gio or goi cuon (crispy spring rolls and the soft salad rolls). Also Pho 75 only takes cash and I tend to operate on debit. I think the best places are on par with Pho 75...Pho Xe Lua may be better. Hai Duong is not perfectly consistent, sometimes the broth is knockout, sometimes not quite so much, but it's always very good. Almost any of the pho places in Eden Center will be good, even if not quite as good as Pho 75.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone been to the new place Rice Paper? The few times I went there I had the most incredible Bun Oc, Bun Mam, and Bun Rieu but they are incredibly inconsistent. Lately, they have been changing their recipes drastically so I haven't been able to enjoy my experience like before.

I haven't been, something seems off about going to such a dolled-up place in Eden Center....

That being said, there's an even newer "nice" place called Bistro Vy (near the supermarket), and it slays.

Edited by Hassouni (log)

I enjoy the Eden Center greatly on my forays into the 'burbs when I go down to DC. That said, I don't know if I remember the names of the restaurants I've tried in the center, but I'm pretty sure I've tried both Viet Huong and Viet Bistro. If I could only remember which was which, and which one I liked better.

In any event, the Eden Center is worth a stop for everything listed above, because it really makes you feel like you've entered an alternate universe.

Just don't do any gambling...

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Viet Bistro is the one with the patio, right near the entrance to the whole development

Then I haven't been to that one! I'm pretty sure I've been to Viet Royale, though. I'm a big fan of the quail appetizers.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I haven't been, something seems off about going to such a dolled-up place in Eden Center....

Yea I somewhat agree, so I was a little hesitant to go there but it turned out to be really really great. At least the stuff I tried...they seem to specialize in their soup dishes. Their Bun Rieu was incredible the first few times I ate it. Last few times were just really off, tasted almost like they put worcestershire sauce in it.

But I think you're gonna have to get used to the whole fancy schmancy thing, I have a feeling that Eden center is trying to gentrify itself. I've heard rumors that the rents have been jacked up and alot of places have been closing down and being replaced by these scaled up "classy" places.

That'll be a hell of a shame. I love it exactly as it is - it's what I miss most about DC when I'm not here, and my Hanoi-haunting friend says the food there is as good as in Vietnam.

Yeah I've been to Viet Taste. The only new one I have yet to go to is Rice Paper, I think. What I like about the "non-classy" places is it sort of lends a "table on the streetside of Saigon" feel

The newer, "classy" places still have great food.

Viet Taste is another relatively new place (with nice decor) in Eden Center. Their chef is supposedly famous for rice clay pot dishes. They are fantastic.

Oh man I'm so glad I made that choice. I had the Ca Um with tofu claypot. This used to be my regular at Viet Bistro before they totally went downhill. It wasn't the best I've ever had but it was pretty close.

OK, so I went to Rice Paper last night, and having to wait for a table sucked (never have to wait at Hai Duong despite it always being full!), but the food was quite good. Had cha gio and goi cuon, which were on par with my standard places, but also bo la lot, ground seasoned beef wrapped in wild betel leaves and grilled - those were DIVINE. I had some kind of bun soup, bun mam something something, I guess - fish, pork, squid, and I can't remember what else. It was very good, and reasonably placed I guess the fancy places can do a good job. I think either that or Vy Bistro will be my go-to places for taking Vietnoobs (ha!), unless it's pleasant outside, in which case I do still like the patio of Viet Bistro

• 2 weeks later...

Yes their Bun mam is my favorite. They tend to be very inconsistent though. The last time I had it, it was incredibly salty and inedible.

I went to Viet Taste again and got the same dish and I was very disappointed. It was bland, and undercooked, and lukewarm. I think it being lukewarm was the most disappointing aspect. It's a shame because I have been missing that dish ever since Viet Bistro discontinued it for some reason