• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Half Popped Popcorn

TheNoodleIncident

When making microwave popcorn, does anyone else love the half popped kernels at the bottom of the bag? You usually only get a few per bag, but my wife and I fight over them.

I recently found a company that sells entire bags of half popped kernels - since they don't distribute near me, I had to buy an entire case through the website. They just arrived and I'm enjoy a bag right now, but its sort of weird to have SO MANY kernels - loses the thrill of the hunt, but still tasty. Anyway, just curious if anyone else shares this weird love of half popped kernels, and if anyone has tried Halfpops (btw, I don't work for them or have any sort of affiliation).

www.halfpops.com

Yeah, the are apparently a very small operation and only distribute to local stores (CA). So if you want to buy elsewhere, it's online by the case only. They called it a "case", but it's basically just a box of 16 bags (each bag is two servings, and relatively large servings) for around $23 (free shipping). Not bad at all.

I just found it very cool that other people recognize the greatness of the halfpopped kernel, and someone thought to sell them.

ETA - It's only halfpopped kernels, no completely unpopped ones, so no dental danger. They are crunchy, in a good way.

Edited by TheNoodleIncident (log)

I love them too but don't think I would want to eat a whole bag full

That is sort of true - when you find a few in the bottom of a bowl of popcorn, it's a nice treat. An entire bag is a bit much - but I finish the entire thing.

Wondering what else I could do with them - add to salads? Top vanila ice cream?