• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tips for almost-following a specific bread recipe

HowardLi

An easier way is to knead the dough as well as you are able, then wrap the dough with plastic and toss it in the fridge overnight. The glutens will develop all by themselves, if you give them time to do so.

As someone's signature reads, "Either it works or it doesn't. But it's bread. Not birth control."

I'd be looking real hard for a Kitchenaid for Black Friday. I've seen them at "Wow, if I didn't already have one, I'd be all over that" prices for Black Friday.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

If you use bread flour with a high protein content, the key to kneading by hand is to allow to dough to relax for 15-20 minutes when it gets too hard to knead it. It's a slightly longer process, but allowing the relaxation will actually make the bread more tender.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Correct me if I'm wrong (I haven't searched recently), but the stretch-and-fold technique rarely gets mentioned 'round here:

http://www.sourdoughhome.com/stretchandfold.html

You can disregard the recipe and just follow the videos for the process. This method can be used for almost any recipe, low or high hydration.

With stretch-and-fold and no-knead, anyone can make great bread without a electric mixer...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Stretch and fold is the heart of Robertson's Tartine bread methodology. It works for any wettish, not-too-yeasted dough. I've used it successfully on plenty of other doughs, including a 65% hydration pizza dough. It won't work on a typical American white bread recipe (a bit too dry, and usually has too much yeast--the bread won't be sufficiently kneaded before it over-rises), but it's definitely a good tool for a baker w/no mixer.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I haven't searched recently), but the stretch-and-fold technique rarely gets mentioned 'round here:

http://www.sourdoughhome.com/stretchandfold.html

You can disregard the recipe and just follow the videos for the process. This method can be used for almost any recipe, low or high hydration.

With stretch-and-fold and no-knead, anyone can make great bread without a electric mixer...

Interesting - thanks for the link.

Is it possible to stretch and fold too many times?

I read the linked recipe, and it only calls for 4 minutes of machine kneading. This is very easily left out---just use a big spoon, bench scraper, or your (wet) hands. Make sure all of the flour is hydrated before you stop mixing, and don't worry about the 4 minutes. With a 3-hour bulk rise and 1-hour shaped rise, the dough will have ample time to develop its own gluten. What the linked recipe calls "turning the dough" is the same thing as the aforementioned stretch and fold technique. It can be done inside of a large lidded container--no need to remove it from a big bowl or dough bucket to perform the turns.