• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gulf of Maine Shrimp 2011-2012

If you like these northern waters delicacy, there won't be nearly as much this season. The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission cut the catch for this season to 2,000 metric tons from last season's 4,000.

Last season was cut short because the catch exceeded the prescried limit by 48 percent.

Here's the Bangor Daily News report on the commission's action.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Here's a link with a little more info than the BDN article. The Working Waterfront. It notes how a lot of lobster boats (and some fish draggers) rig over and go shrimping in the winter. Some of them will get hit pretty hard if they haven't had a good summer lobstering or dragging.

I thought I read somewhere that days out were going to be limited to certain days of the week. But, neither Bob's link nor mine mentions that, so maybe that's not true.

In general, people that go shrimping aren't too happy with this. They feel it's clamping down too hard, and that there are plenty of shrimp. I don't go shrimping, so I don't know.

I do know that years ago, before regulation, that there was a cycle in the shrimp population. About 14 years if I remember right. The shrimp would get depleted to the point where it wasn't worth shrimping, and then they'd come back and people would start going again. It was just an accepted way of doing things - and worked.

But, maybe now, there are too many boats getting into it. And, years ago, lobstermen could just fish for lobsters and make enough money to take the winter off. Now, it's a lot harder to do that.

The season starts January 2, 2012.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

This completely ruins my traditional December menu - pulls all my maine shrimp dishes out of the equation, and raises the budget - Maine shrimp costs only a dollar a pound,

The state’s shrimp industry has seen its landings improve in the past few years after it boomed in the late 1990s and then plummeted in the 2000s. In 2010, more than 5,500 metric tons of were harvested in Maine for the first time in 13 years while the average statewide price shrimp fishermen were paid for their catch was more than 50 cents per pound for the first time since 2005.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

The season starts January 2, 2012.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

This completely ruins my traditional December menu - pulls all my maine shrimp dishes out of the equation, and raises the budget - Maine shrimp costs only a dollar a pound,

The state’s shrimp industry has seen its landings improve in the past few years after it boomed in the late 1990s and then plummeted in the 2000s. In 2010, more than 5,500 metric tons of were harvested in Maine for the first time in 13 years while the average statewide price shrimp fishermen were paid for their catch was more than 50 cents per pound for the first time since 2005.

A friend of mine, who's in his 50's and has fished all his life, always said December was too early to go for shrimp and it would be better to start in January.

Sorry to ruin your December menu Johnny. :laugh:

Not your fault - apologies are unnecessary, Country.

I seem to remember a similar argument while setting the urchin season back in the '90s.

It was widely believed that lobster men who took out us divers lobbied to wait until January to start the season because there were still lobsters to be trapped in December and they didn't want the fisheries to overlap, so I am suspicious of your fisherman friends agenda.

...and I am sorry about that!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

You're right: All shrimp harvested in December are egg-laden, but they don't release their eggs 'til February in a typical season.

I don't mean to cast your friend as nefarious or dubious by any means, but I did learn to be cautious about anything said or heard on the waterfront during my seven years as an urchin diver.

Portland Food Map.com

johnnyd, are you able to buy Maine shrimp for $1 lb because you're buying at the source? Last season, I was thrilled to be able to get them as low as $3.99 lb, I assumed they were plentiful to be able to buy them for $1-2 per lb less than usual. Boston markets, mind you.

They were reasonably plentiful last season. $1 to $2 got you a pound of whole (heads-on) shrimp at the littler seafood purveyors, or a roadside truck with a sign. The typical buy is $5 and that's over a hundred or so count.

Cleaned, they sell for $3.99 or $4.99 per pound at a supermarket like Hannaford

Portland Food Map.com

• 1 month later...

Harbor Fish Market in Portland Maine has acquired 200 lbs of Gulf Of Maine shrimp meats from the pre-season biomass sample harvested from the Maine Fisheries Management test trawl completed yesterday.

I snagged one pound at $9.99/lb, and it's going fast. Haven't decided what to do with yet, but a simple steaming and various dipping sauces would probably be the most honorable way to go.

Portland Food Map.com

$9.99!! :shock:

I'll wait. :smile:

Yeah, I know I know! :blink: They'll be considered one of our holiday luxuries this week.

Harbor's facebook page noted that the sample harvest discovered an awful lot of shrimp out there. I hope the prices are high enough to support the fishermen, but low enough for consumers' budgets, and that they are able to truck them to major metropolitan areas.

To members within 400 miles of the Gulf Of Maine:

Please post Maine shrimp sightings in your local markets here once the shrimp season begins next week. Thanks!

Edit to add:

For those interested in eGullet 5+ year coverage and commentary on Gulf Of Maine Shrimp, this link is a great place to start

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

This morning's Boston Globe reported more grim news: because of overfishing concerns, the catch limit for Maine shrimp this year is only one-third of last year, 4.4 million pounds in 2012 vs 13 million pounds in 2011. There will be limits on the fishing days/catch limits for individual fisherman, too.

Looks like a short season, expensive for consumers and hard on the local fishing industry.

Article: Gulf of Maine shrimp season to be a short one (registration may be required)

Prices are not going down - most expensive I've seen since late 90's:

@Harbor Fish 12noon today:

Whole: $2.29/lb ($1.95/lb if over 5lb)

Headless: $5.49/lb

Clean meats: $9.99/lb

bought 1.5lb whole shrimp - the stock makes an amazing chowder

Portland Food Map.com

Old urchin colleague now fishing shrimp out of Portland. From his iPhone this morning:

We didn't catch much opening day

Having to stop fishing at 1 pm sucks

Out right now, sea smoke is pretty thick

Better times a coming... I hope

Epic struggle these days making as a bad ass fishermen

Robo

Today's weather:

ANZ151-153-050200-

PENOBSCOT BAY-CASCO BAY-700 AM EST WED JAN 4 2012

TODAY... W WINDS 10 TO 20 KT WITH A FEW GUSTS UP TO 25 KT EARLY. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT. HIGHS IN THE 20'S

Portland Food Map.com

By the top pic it looks like they set out for another tow. Empty net reel and looks like a tight wire going into the water on the starboard side. Fresh shrimp are so pretty. Thanks for the pics.

this is very intersting to me as in the past I used to go to Maine.

I sure hope that their fisheries can be protected and that those who fish have a viable economic life.

that being said: only 4 times in my life have I had shrimp sashimi: ie raw shelled shimp

twice at a Korean restaurant in NYC that I went to form Long Island just for Sushi etc

and from a local fish monger in Stony Book LI

that place had the freshest fish outside Cook's in Menlo Park CA

they new me an twice they pulled out shrimp for sashimi

the season was very very short and very few people got these

they were never on the menu at the place in NYC

if you went there enough they suggested it to you

I sure hope someone else here has tasted this.

By the top pic it looks like they set out for another tow. Empty net reel and looks like a tight wire going into the water on the starboard side. Fresh shrimp are so pretty. Thanks for the pics.

Indeed, Country - right out of the water they have an unholy red color. Someone in a previous GOM Shrimp thread didn't believe they weren't dyed. First set was pretty small - only 500lbs on deck. They usually get 2000 a day a bit later in the season.

Portland Food Map.com

Indeed, Country - right out of the water they have an unholy red color. Someone in a previous GOM Shrimp thread didn't believe they weren't dyed. First set was pretty small - only 500lbs on deck. They usually get 2000 a day a bit later in the season.

Yes. They're so red right after they're caught. Beautiful. One time a friend of mine brought me a five gallon pail right after he got in and they were still alive. And on top a little flatfish about eight or nine inches long that was still wiggling a little. I gutted, filleted and skinned it and fried it up in some butter. Freshest fish I ever had. :smile:

He generally gets around 2000 too after things get going. Fresh meat going for $6.99 at the local (Waldoboro) fish market today. The whole shrimp were on the small to medium side and I didn't look at the price. I'll check next time.