• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Rec for Refined Bachelor Party

babern38

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with ideas and thought I'd turn to my friends at egullet for some suggestions.

I'm having a small, bachelor party in december and am looking for some suggestions of places that evoke a very "refined and manly" feel. I have in my head something like the 21 club but can't go there since thats where the rehearsal dinner will be. I'm thinking "mad men" in my head. Someplace that seems fitting for a small group of men in suits. A place that seems like cigar smoke should hang in the air (if smoking were permitted in NYC) and leathered wingbacks were placed by a fireplace.

I look forward to your suggestions. Any comments on The Lamb's club or Minetta Tavern? I haven't been to either but feel like they may be similar to what I'm looking for

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I'd head for Peter Luger in Brooklyn. If anyplace screams "Mad Men" it's Peter Luger. No idea how to get Christina Hendricks to show up in Marlene Deitrich cosplay, though. You're on your own for that.

Wouldn't that be the best ever bachelor party -- Christina Hendricks jumping out of the cake in a tux top and little else.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

You beat me to the punch on the 21 Club. That was my first thought when I read the thread title....

I love Minetta Tavern because there's really good food, excellent cocktails and that gorgeous old school bar with the wooden doors and big latches on the refrigerated section underneath. Throw in all the old photos of celebrities on the walls and you have major atmosphere coupled with the ingredients for a refined evening of eating and drinking well.

ScoopKW you're a naughty boy... :laugh:

edited to add:

Not sure what night of the week you're planning on having your bachelor soiree or how many will be in your party, but obviously making advanced arrangements with whatever establishment you choose and not going at the height of service on a Saturday evening will make for a far more pleasant evening with better service for all parties concerned.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Another vote for the Four Seasons. The Grill Room might have more of the masculine ambience you're seeking than the Pool Room has. The restaurant is mentioned several times in Mad Men but has not yet been featured in it (surprisingly, since it is probably the most intact interior of the period still surviving).