• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you get blogger, critic ratings and ratings

howsmatt

I have finally opened my own little Cafe in Montreal. I specialize in sandwiches which I think are quite good, as do my patrons. I do everything here myself (construction, food, decor, cleaning, books etc etc etc) so I'm lagging behind a little in promoting the place. Aside from asking some of my repeat customers to rate me on urbanspoon or whatever is there a way to go some bloggers or critics or whoever to come and try my food?

Also, to all you Montreal egullet people, please come visit.

Matthew

Cafe Pave

243 Notre-Dame O.

H2Y-1T4

Matthew,

Be carefull what you ask for, or you just might get it!

I am in a similiar situation, but a small artisan chocolate and pastry place. I don't do the books, but do alot of cabinet making and carpentry work ontop of my "regular duties".

There are two types of bloggers, the professional one, and the non-professional one. You want the non-proffesional one. Why?

The non-pro is generally interested in your business/product and generally lives in your area. They are usually genuinely interested in seeing your place grow because they live in the neighborhood and are excited about something new. The blogs might not be well circulated, but treat these bloggers like a new lover. Like me, unless I operate a 5 star restaurant where someone will blow $2-400 a meal for two, it's not really worth the trip coming across town or from out of the city to eat at my place. Local is best for the smaller operator.

The key word in "professional" blogger is the professional bit. To be a profesional you generally do not have any other jobs. Thus, the professional blogger needs an income.... Either this comes from advertising, from freelance writing, or free food. Like the bumper sticker from the '70's says: "Cash, grass, or azz, no one rides for free."

Should it be known that you are looking for a blogger, or it is percieved that you are fresh off the boat, many a pro blogger will oblige,......... and charge.

If you put out a good product and have happy customers there will be non-pro blogging, and you might find, as I did, that a pro blogger has written a "regurgitated" blog about you. What this means is that your business has survived the first few critical months and consistantly puts out good product, therfore a pro blogger does not risk much by sticking out his neck to write a few words about you. The blog could be written in such a way that you know that the blogger never set foot in your place, but "gleaned" information from smaller local blogs and/or your website, information such as the menu, decor, and theme of the place. Or, if the bloggger actually lives close by and makes the effort to drop in, could be more direct.

Newspapers are a different story, as the writers are--or should--be compensated for their work. Generally this means that they do not seek out freebies, nor do they aggresively seek advertising dollars for their publication. Generally. Of course, if you were a succesfull restauranteur with 3 or 4 places under your belt, they would be there at the grand opening with their spouses, on your dollar. But I digress.

Vancouver is a different town from Montreal, and the local Yelp differs too. I find the Vancouver version very, uhhhh, "different" and some of the practices and feature articles leave me with more questions than answers.

Beware the point system and do not get let down when someone sinks your 4 or 5 star rating. There are some who are so influenced and hyped about a 5 star rating and find tht you don't have $2,000 arm chairs and can't quite put a perfect fern leaf on the crema of an espresso or latte, and sink your boat. Others get jealous of a 4 or 5 star rating and sink it out of spite, and some, weeell... they see it as a way to get some money or freebies.

Close behind the bloggers are the "go-getters", the types who want to sell you advertising, or god forbid--group coupon deals. Either they e-mail, or they show up at your door in your face. They know you exist bcasue they read the blogs and want to, uh, "help" you.

Hope this helps,

Edward

Very well said there Edward. I agree with everything you've said. I remember an instance here in my part of the world where a group of 'bad' professional bloggers used their power to blackmail a restaurant for bad reviews if the owner won't give them the amount that they are asking for. Of course every restaurant owner will hate to hear or read bad reviews which are forged or made up for the sake of 'money'. You should really be aware of these scenarios.

Edited by threestars (log)

• 8 months later...

As far as I can tell, 90% of restaurant bloggers can be divided into:

a. Useless "Squee!" bloggers that will give five stars to a soggy boot

b. Limited eaters who reject anything different from what they were raised on

c. Self-entitled little gits.

d. All of the above.

I'd suggest putting up a "Please review us on (blank!)" sign next to the cash register.

Does your cafe have a Facebook page? You can use Facebook to promote daily specials, events, etc. It's an easy format; users can "like" your page and everyone who subscribes to their feed will see it. Yes, I know FB is passe with the cool kids, but it's an easy, low-maintenance way to spread the word and keep you in control of the message.

ETA: food discussion forums hosted by local media outlets are often full of interested eaters. Ditto for Chowhound in certain parts of the country.

Edited by HungryC (log)

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I can tell, 90% of restaurant bloggers can be divided into:

a. Useless "Squee!" bloggers that will give five stars to a soggy boot

b. Limited eaters who reject anything different from what they were raised on

c. Self-entitled little gits.

d. All of the above.

I'd suggest putting up a "Please review us on (blank!)" sign next to the cash register.

LOL - exactly my POV

I detest bloggers. I am not a restaurant owner, but have friends in the trade. Some blogs can get very personal and critical of the servers.

I am waging my one man band against the bloggers.

http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk

Latest blog post - Oh my - someone needs a spell checker