• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Piloncillo or Panela

Darienne

Hi,

If you like piloncillo/panela your are going to love gula jawa. This is pure palm sugar, dark brown, soft and pungent.

The best comparison is supermarket balsamic compared to balsamico tradizionale.

Tim

Hi,

If you like piloncillo/panela your are going to love gula jawa. This is pure palm sugar, dark brown, soft and pungent.

Tim

Where can one find this?

Found interesting information on gula jawa. Probably not something you can find in East Central Ontario...

As for my piloncillo adventures. Finished until we return home to the far frozen north where I can buy incredibly good panela. I'll take home the three different kinds and see what I can find at home and report back.

This morning we did a taste test on three varieties of piloncillo. DH scored them from highest to blandest: City Market's Frieda, GJ Mexican Mercado, Moab Village Market no name. I found them all lacking, but also agreed that the Frieda brand was deepest in flavor.

Piloncillo comparison.JPG

Left to right: Grand Junction mercado (darkest); City Market Frieda brand; Village Market no name

(The Frieda brand has an interesting background. The founder of the distributing company, Frieda Rappaport Caplan is responsible for introducing to North America a number of exotic fruits, most notably the Chinese Gooseberry (Kiwi Fruit).)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Hi,

Tim

Where can one find this?

I found it at a large asian market that carried thai and malaysian ingredients. It is also available on-line and well worth the effort.

Tim

Thank you, Tim. I'm embarrassed to say I have some in my cupboard, I did not recognize it by the name gula jawa. Mine is under the label Aroy-Mak and says pure palm sugar. Underneath that is what turns out to be the Vietnamese name, Duong Thot Not. I use it in one of the curry dishes that I make. You are right, it is very good.