• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Darienne

Using Piloncillo or Panela

31 posts in this topic

To date I have chopped away at my blocks of Piloncillo or Panela, or shaved them with a sharp knife or even grated them. Such work.

Today in a recipe for Chikki (Indian Brittle), I found a tip for using Jaggery...the Indian equivalent.

Put the block into the microwave for 15 - 20 seconds and then press down and see if it crumbles. Use the microwave in increments of a few seconds until you can press down on the block and it will crumble. Be careful not to melt the sugar.

So I tried it with both a block of palm sugar and panela and it works!

My question is: would it harm the sugar in any way to be treated this way? I am NOT a fan of microwaves and don't use mine any more than necessary. Foolish, perhaps, but then....

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

Good tip... I've always just used old piloncillo as housing construction material :biggrin:

That's all there is to know basically. I stuck a smallish block of panela in the microwave. Zapped it for 15 secs. No dice. Another 10. Another 10. Any by God, I pressed down and it crumbled. Just like that! When I think of all the work...

Should add that while doing it with the palm sugar chunks, the stuff crumbled and my finger ended up in a small of pool of yikes! melted and very hot and sticky palm sugar which I of course stuck right into my mouth for help. Fortunately, it was not THAT hot. :raz: Yeah, it tasted good.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

That is a very handy tip...I was at a dinner recently where someone had made a cake with piloncillo and it was delicious, deep flavor and not overly sweet. But the thought of processing a brick turned me off from trying it....will definitely be purchasing some soon.

That is a very handy tip...I was at a dinner recently where someone had made a cake with piloncillo and it was delicious, deep flavor and not overly sweet. But the thought of processing a brick turned me off from trying it....will definitely be purchasing some soon.

If you like deep and delicious, try for Panela. :wub: :wub: Darker than piloncillo.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

Yes, yes, yes...the microwave works for piloncillo, same concept as softening up old brown sugar that's hardened, or honey that's crystalized. Before I discovered the microwave method I used to take my biggest, baddest hammer, stick the piloncillo in a zip lock, put a towel over it and start hammering away. That worked pretty effectively and I got an upper body workout at the same time :wink: The microwave method is much easier and faster. Unless you over nuke it, it doesn't harm the piloncillo

If you like deep and delicious, try for Panela. :wub: :wub: Darker than piloncillo.

Thanks, when I read that I heard a little voice over my shoulder whisper "ice cream base!".

I bet it would work fine in the Sri Lankan jaggery pudding I made while I was up north.

Good idea. Did you use jaggery? Can you get it in your area?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

Thanks, when I read that I heard a little voice over my shoulder whisper "ice cream base!".

Been there. Done that. Very nice. Can't think of ever using 'brown sugar' again.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

How timely. Yesterday I went to my local Latino store in search of Panela. I found it in varying forms -but mostly slabs and large conical (1 or 2 pound cylinders) . They also had bags of Panela in small conical shapes, perhaps a couple of tablespoons worth. They were very, very hard and since I couldn't think of a way to break them down, I did not buy any. Now that I know a microwave will take care of the problem, I'll trot back over there and get me some.

I bet it would work fine in the Sri Lankan jaggery pudding I made while I was up north.

Good idea. Did you use jaggery? Can you get it in your area?

I used palm sugar - I know I had a big cone of jaggery up there somewhere but couldn't find it.

Microwave works just fine, as does putting it a pan in the oven just after bread or whatnot has come out (oven off, of course) - for about 15-20 minutes, or placing the block in the sun for an hour. I've always just made sure to buy fresh, which doesn't have the rock-hard problem.....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Crap.. should have read this a bit.

I just finished breaking down a cone, double Ziplock bagged and double toweled over that and hammmered, followed by a Mortar and pestal. It actually worked quite well. Pretty fine powder? Will it re-harden?

Cant wait to use it in a beef rib rub.. Smells nice!! :smile:

Paul

Its good to have Morels

Note for Canadians in Ontario at least. Piloncillo is now being carried in FreshCo (was Price Chopper and several things before that). Keep in mind that there are both Mexican and separate Latin American sections.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

Note for Canadians in Ontario at least. Piloncillo is now being carried in FreshCo (was Price Chopper and several things before that). Keep in mind that there are both Mexican and separate Latin American sections.

Good tip. I don't use much so I just pick up some whenever I go to Perolas, or Sol de Espana in Clarkson.

I'll have to try nuking it next time. For now, I've got a Ziploc bag of the stuff with obvious hammer marks on it :laugh:

Edited by Trev (log)

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Great tip. I will not forget this.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

This is probably a foolish question, but here goes. Are there various qualities of piloncillo out there? I bought some a couple of weeks ago at a well-known Mexican carniceria in Colorado, usual shape, dark brown, in plastic bags with no name on them. This market sells home made tortilla chips and tortillas and pastries which are wonderful!

Used the piloncillo today. Making the syrup for Capirotada. Tasted the sugar...of course...and was stunned. Where was that wonderful taste? Sure, it was sweet, but the special tastes which had captured me forever on my first real taste of piloncillo were missing.

Back home, brown sugar always tastes like brown sugar and there's no home made brown sugar to be purchased that I know of. So what is happening here, please?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

Absolutely, there are different grades and types. The best will come from drought-season cane; those are the blocks with that wonderful aroma you're missing. Wet-season cane produces much more volume, but has much less concentrated flavour.

Gauge by colour - the darker, the better.

Absolutely, there are different grades and types. The best will come from drought-season cane; those are the blocks with that wonderful aroma you're missing. Wet-season cane produces much more volume, but has much less concentrated flavour.

Gauge by colour - the darker, the better.

But that's it! This stuff is very, very dark, and quite nothing.

I'll check in the local supermarket and see what they have. Two supermarkets, a City Market (Kroger) and a Village Market (Western Family). Neither one of them very pleasing really. Our FreshCo (Sobey's) at home has a wonderful brand. But then it's cold at home and probably snowing.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

Strange. Now I'm wondering if they're not extracting or refining further than they should - that will also contribute to a loss of that bouquet. There's no way to sniff the piloncillo before you buy it, is there?

Strange. Now I'm wondering if they're not extracting or refining further than they should - that will also contribute to a loss of that bouquet. There's no way to sniff the piloncillo before you buy it, is there?

I've never seen unwrapped piloncillo for sale in the US or Canada. Not a big problem. I have still to check it out in the local groceries to see what they carry.

The Capirotada turned out beautifully anyway.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

• Similar Content

• By Gunnsr42
      Hello foodies. Tell us what work of art you're cooking for your meals these days. 
    • By Chris Hennes
      Over in the Cooking with "Eat Mexico" topic I've posted a about things I've made from Lesley Téllez's recently-published book about street food in Mexico City. I finally had time to go down to "CDMX" (as they are now trying to rebrand themselves) this weekend and went on two of the Eat Mexico food tours. On Friday we went on the street food tour, and on Saturday on the San Juan market tour. The pope was also in town this weekend which made the city crazier than usual and drove the tour selections as we tried to not be where he was, with limited success.

Street Food Tour
      I have limited photos of this one because our hands were usually full! There are ten "normal" stops on the tour plus a couple of optional ones. One of the vendors was closed for the day, but we definitely had no shortage of food. I think the tour lasted something like four hours, and we were basically eating the whole time. Most of it was standing and walking, but we did stop into a local coffee shop and sit down for a short time. Our guide, Arturo, was excellent. He is from the city, has attended culinary school, and is very well versed in both the local street food culture as well as Mexican cuisine overall. 

While the tour was mostly eating, we did walk through one small neighborhood market just to get the feel for the thing, and we stopped at one local tortilleria:

The classic tortilla-delivery vehicle:

We chatted up a local store owner who was making "antojitos" ("little cravings") for breakfast:

Ate some tamales, walked a bit, then had some tlacoyos: here are the condiments...

We also had some fresh juices. They really like their pseudo-medicinal juices.. we had the one that was "anti-flu" (and delicious):

For the tlacoyos I had a huitlacoche and my wife has the chicken tinga. The huitlacoche was disappointingly non-descript. The remedy, of course, was to douse it in salsa, which fixes everything. A few blocks down we had carnitas tacos:

And then some mango and watermelon with chile powder:

Arturo tried to ply us with more food at the nearby burreria, but at this point we were on the verge of exploding:

So we stopped for some locally-roasted coffee:

Then on to a burrito place (of all things!) -- the guy running the burrito place was hilarious, and totally frank about stealing the burrito thing from Texas and then "fixing it." He's had the stand for something like 20 years. We split a squash blossom burrito (squash blossoms, onions, salsa, and cheese are the only ingredients, no rice or beans) which he makes on the griddle and then covers in a cheese blend and fries until the cheese browns and crisps. Definitely an improved burrito! Yeah, no photos there. Second to last was an absolutely terrific octopus tostada:

And then a final stop for dessert (which we took back to the hotel rather than eating it there):

ETA: A couple more photos. Also, there was a turkey and pork sandwich of some kind that I have no photos of and can't quite remember where it fit into the tour. Just in case you were worried about us starving.

• By cyalexa
      Salsa Para Enchiladas  
      3 ancho chiles
      2 New Mexico chiles
      2 chipotle chiles
      1 clove garlic, sliced
      2 TB flour
      2 TB vegetable oil
      1 tsp vinegar
      ¾ tsp salt
      ¼ tsp dried oregano
      2 cups broth, stock, or (filtered) chili soaking liquid
      Rinse, stem and seed chiles. Place in saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil. Cover and remove from heat and let soften and cool. While the chiles are cooling, gently sauté garlic slices in oil until they are soft and golden brown. Remove the garlic from the oil, with a slotted spoon and reserve. Make a light roux by adding the flour to the oil and sautéing briefly. Drain the chilies and puree them with the garlic slices and half of the liquid. Strain the puree back into the saucepan. Pour the remainder of the liquid through the sieve to loosen any remaining chili pulp. Add the roux to the saucepan and whisk to blend. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan, bring to a boil then and simmer 15-20 minutes. Taste and add additional salt and vinegar if necessary.
    • By IowaDee
      The February issue of Sunset Magazine has a great article about the beans of Mexico.  And guess who is featured.....our own Steve Sando.  Nice write up and lots and lots of recipes.  I have been a Sunset subscriber for more than 25 years and I finally :"know" someone in it.  Cool Beans as they say.

I hope someone with more skills than I have can post a link. 
    • By gfron1
      A friend gifted me a book written by someone I know of but only loosely. The acquaintance is a former missionary who has lived in Oaxaca for 15 years and co-authored this book with Susana Trilling (famous Oaxacan cooking instructor). The book is self published and really surprised me with its quality. The whole thesis is saving the indigenous foods of the area and combatting GMO infiltration of the area. Those of you who know the area might know of one of my hero restaurants - the like-minded Itanoni in Oaxaca City - surely they all travel in the same circles.

Recipes are average fare - not fancy - clearly recipes from regular local folk, but very authentic, not fusion. They start with basic fresh masa, run you through all sorts of things including molé  and salads and end up with stuff like yucca and egg tacos. The chapters include: Wild Greens (purslane, amaranth, etc), Beans & Squash, Salsa, Nopal and Maguey, Food and Fiesta, Medicinal uses. About 300 pages in all (so figure 150 in English and 150 in Spanish).

This book is not available through Amazon. It is bilingual. I highly recommend it. 

Side note: Quite frankly these guys are goofs. They don't know how important and well produced this book is and aren't marketing it worth crap. Go buy it. Tell them I sent you. And enjoy this book.

HERE