• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dave's "Hot 'N Juicy" Cheeseburgers

David Ross

In order to entice more customers to their savory burgers, Wendy's has launched "Dave's Hot'n Juicy Cheeseburgers." Well, yesterday I tried the newest cheeseburger in Wendy's line-up and I shouldn't have been surprised that the results were less than delicious.

I ordered a single cheeseburger and it wasn't "hot" off the grill as advertised. It was off the grill, but lukewarm. The bun wasn't "warm, fresh, toasted and flavored with real butter." It was the same limp, cold, untoaste bun that Wendy's has always served. Premium toppings? No, they were merely regular toppings-pickle, onion, tomato and a leaf of iceberg lettuce. I wasn't asked, (per the advertisements), what my "choice" of toppings was-crinkle-cut pickles, sweet red onions and thick tomato slices.

The cheeseburger was presented retro style, wrapped in wax paper and put in a cute little open-top red box. All the glorious advertising promises are printed on the box.

It was a standard Wendy's fast-food cheeseburger. Nothing new and nothing "Hot'n Juicy" about it. Is it worth complaining when you get a fast-food burger that falls short of the advertising claims?

009.JPG

012.JPG

Is it worth complaining when you get a fast-food burger that falls short of the advertising claims?

Yes -- but the best you're going to get is a voucher for another crappy burger. So why bother?

At the risk of sounding like the spokesman for Dos Equis, "I don't eat fast food very often. But when I do, it's Tommy's Original or Fatburger."

I recently tried Five Guys. It's OK. Just "OK." It's no Fatburger. And it's certainly no Tommy's.

I wouldn't eat Wendy's, or any of the rest of the big chains, if you paid me.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

I agree with you. I rarely eat fast food burgers preferring the burgers I make at home to any other. However, I do like a Fatburger when I go to Las Vegas and I will eat a Wendy's or McDonald's in a pinch. I'll admit on this one I bit on the advertising spiel that Wendy's was throwing out. I know their burgers aren't great, but I wanted to challenge their advertising claims.

• 2 weeks later...

At least here, the "improved burgers" at Wendy's were a noticeable improvement over their previous incarnation, since I actually got a burger that was hot and crispy for a change, and the new serving style also seemed to stop the staff from squishing the hell out of the assembled burger (a lot of places do that, I don't know why).

But it was also *incredibly* greasy. I probably won't bother again.

• 2 weeks later...

This burger is the new, standard burger. I had one shortly after they were introudcued. In the past, I always thought Wendy's was the best out of the major three players (McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy's). After trying the "Hot n' Juicy", I still feel they are better than McDonalds and Burger King.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

This burger is the new, standard burger. I had one shortly after they were introudcued. In the past, I always thought Wendy's was the best out of the major three players (McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy's). After trying the "Hot n' Juicy", I still feel they are better than McDonalds and Burger King.

Dallas doesn't have Fatburger?

I know Fatburger isn't in the "big 3" or even the "big 10," it's still the standard by which all others should be judged. It is ALMOST as good as what I make at home. Now if someone would teach them how real pomme frite is made, all would be right with the burger world.

I wonder what Thomas Keller would think if I brought a Fatburger to Bouchon and ordered a $5 side of fries? (They have a corkage fee. Why not a "burgerage" fee as well. :rolleyes: )

Edited by ScoopKW (log)

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

No Fatburger in Dallas. Though I've heard rumors they may be on the way. (I've never had one)

But we now have In-n-Out, so it changes things a lot. They immediately leap to the top of the heap in the true fast food burger category.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"