• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Percyn's travels (2011) continued

heidih

Ok so I was intrigued by the vadas and headed out tonight after work to find one I could enjoy with a beer. Typically the only place I found selling them that had a license had sold out so I got behlpuri instead but I noticed they had vada, Dahl vada ( which I assume Is the sane but made with lentils?) and rassam vada - when I return, which should I try first? Should also add the shrimp and potato dish looks amazing and may be the first thing I cook in my new appartment if I ever get round to it!!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Percyn - A few posts back you have a pic of someone weighing something, and the sign to the right lists "chicken ham" which, along with some other stuff, is the cheapest thing. What is "chicken ham"? Ham and chicken ground together, or mixed after grinding? Or something else altogether? Thanks.

Vada can refer to a number of fried things. What is commonly called just vada in Maharashtra is more fully called something like batata vada or aloo bonda elsewhere. Batata vada is made from potatoes that are mashed and spiced, rolled into balls, dipped in a gram flour batter and deep fried.

Outside of Maharasthra I would say that the thing most commonly called vada is made from a batter consisting of dal that has been soaked and then ground with spices and seasonings before being shaped and deep fried. The dal is most commonly urad dal. Dahi vada is a dish where vadas are soaked in seasoned yoghurt. There are different versions of this made all over India and they can be quite different. My neighbour makes a killer dahi vada and I love it when it is a festive time and she has made lots! Rasam vada is vada soaked in rasam. Rasam is a thin, spicy, sour "broth" made in various ways in all the states of South India. I have most often seen dal vada used to describe a vada made from a variety of different dals or at least a non-urad dal vada. One South India name for this is parippu vada and it means a vada made from chana dal.

Look herefor some pictures of common vada. The doughnut shaped ones are made from urad dal. The flat-ish discs which look quite crunchy are most often made from chana dal.

For dinner one night we made

Titori - a type of broad? bean

IMG_0148-800.jpg

IMG_0157-800.jpg

and French Beans with Chicken (it is usually made with Goat)

IMG_0153-800.jpg

These look fantastic! How were they made?

Percyn - A few posts back you have a pic of someone weighing something, and the sign to the right lists "chicken ham" which, along with some other stuff, is the cheapest thing. What is "chicken ham"? Ham and chicken ground together, or mixed after grinding? Or something else altogether? Thanks.

Country - Chicken ham is a 'ham like' product that is made from chicken, thus it is Halal (an approximate equivalent to Kosher, but for Muslims).

In India you'll find all sorts of things like that: Chicken ham, chicken pepperoni, salami (the Subway's have a wide variety).

There are similar products in Israel, as well. Also in Israel I found bacon vacu-sealed at the hotels (so Kosher kitchens wouldn't be corrupted) and re-heated.

(Sorry Percyn!)

NOTE: It's interesting that the words Halal and Kosher both mean approximately the same thing (legal, prepared according to religious law) but in their respective languages.

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

For dinner one night we made

Titori - a type of broad? bean

IMG_0148-800.jpg

IMG_0157-800.jpg

and French Beans with Chicken (it is usually made with Goat)

IMG_0153-800.jpg

These look fantastic! How were they made?

The basic masala is the same - turmeric, chili powder, cumin seeds and garam masala. Marinate the meat in turmeric, a little chili powder, garlic and ginger. Sautee the meat and remove. Then add finely diced onions. The Titori has coriander/cilantro leaves. In the French beans, a little desiccated coconut and tomato is also added. Return the meat and cook to desired tenderness.

Percy, your paneer bhurji looks interesting. It seems to be more like chunks of paneer whereas the bhurji I have always made or eaten out has been crumbled paneer so that it resembles scrambled eggs. Did you make it or eat it out somewhere?

By the way I thought of you whilst having a glass of sugarcane juice today. In Allahabad the most common add in is mint, but there are a couple of guys who have a number of greens including coriander and spinach that they will add to the sugarcane and juice for you!

Jenni,

You are correct that most Paneer Bhurji has crumbled paneer, though I prefer chunks as well, so this had both :biggrin:

Interesting about the sugarcane juice. I have always had it either plain or with ginger and lime, which is my preference. Don't believe I have ever seen the option for spinach in this neck of the woods and even in the US the few places that serve it offer ginger and lime as an option.

Edited by percyn (log)

Was running some errands around Perviz Hall, which sells Parsi food goodies among other things.

We picked up a couple items including patties for lunch.

Mutton Kheema Patties and Chutney Patties. These patties are breaded mashed potatoes stuffed with the filling and a boiled egg. A non-veg version of the Vada :laugh: . Delicious!

IMG_0057-800.jpg

IMG_0060-800.jpg

We had the patties with Kheema and Khidchi.

IMG_0058-800.jpg

Went to a store in Matunga which sells lots of Indian snacks, including Chikki. Picked up some tomato sev and other spices.

IMG_0066-800.jpg

Outside the store is a place which sells chaat. We got Pani Puri (crispy puri puffs with stuffing and spiced water) and Dhai puri, which has a tanrind and date sauce and is topped with yogurt.

IMG_0067-800.jpg

The Pani (water) Puri

IMG_0069-800.jpg

The Dhai (yogurt) Puri

IMG_0070-800.jpg

Next to them was a Paan guy, so we got some sweet paan to go.

IMG_0072-800.jpg

For dinner, we went to an area called Borhi Muhllah (by Tavakal Sweets),which is known for making great grilled meats. This area was also featured on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservation Mumbai episode.

IMG_0076-800.jpg

IMG_0081-800.jpg

IMG_0088-800.jpg

IMG_0085-800.jpg

We got goat, khiri (goat udders), shish kebab, roti, etc. This is stuff is tasty and soo cheap! 4 people were full for less than $10.

Darienne, what kind of chikki do you plan to make?

I have no idea at this point. It's up to the teaching chef I guess. I wrote to her that I had some panela...you can't get it here...but in her reply she didn't mention that.

What is your favorite kind? Or favorites? And do you make it usually? Any tips to give me???? :smile:

Yesterday I made the Mexican equivalent of chikki using a very dark panela (the same pretty much as jaggery) called palanquetas. I added pepitas, almonds, pine nuts and sesame seeds. Delicious. Monday I am going to take some to my dentist who is from India and longs for homemade goodies.

(I have this awful suspicion that the chef's chikki is going to call for white sugar. She sort of hemmed and hawed when I asked her today in person.)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have no idea at this point. It's up to the teaching chef I guess. I wrote to her that I had some panela...you can't get it here...but in her reply she didn't mention that.

What is your favorite kind? Or favorites? And do you make it usually? Any tips to give me???? :smile:

Yesterday I made the Mexican equivalent of chikki using a very dark panela (the same pretty much as jaggery) called palanquetas. I added pepitas, almonds, pine nuts and sesame seeds. Delicious. Monday I am going to take some to my dentist who is from India and longs for homemade goodies.

(I have this awful suspicion that the chef's chikki is going to call for white sugar. She sort of hemmed and hawed when I asked her today in person.)

Using jaggery (or in your case panela) gives a flavour profile that cannot be had by using white sugar. Chikkis are simply awesome. Sometimes in India you can get good rose petal and pistachio chikkis which are also very good.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Using jaggery (or in your case panela) gives a flavour profile that cannot be had by using white sugar. Chikkis are simply awesome. Sometimes in India you can get good rose petal and pistachio chikkis which are also very good.

Pistachios. Will get some today. Thanks. And I think I have some rosewater. Would you use both at once? Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Went to a store in Matunga which sells lots of Indian snacks, including Chikki. Picked up some tomato sev and other spices.

Outside the store is a place which sells chaat. We got Pani Puri (crispy puri puffs with stuffing and spiced water) and Dhai puri, which has a tanrind and date sauce and is topped with yogurt.

The Pani (water) Puri

The Dhai (yogurt) Puri

Next to them was a Paan guy, so we got some sweet paan to go.

For dinner, we went to an area called Borhi Muhllah (by Tavakal Sweets),which is known for making great grilled meats. This area was also featured on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservation Mumbai episode.

We got goat, khiri (goat udders), shish kebab, roti, etc. This is stuff is tasty and soo cheap! 4 people were full for less than $10.

Percy,

Thanks for your awesome descriptions of food and travels in Mumbai. Have been loving all the Parsi food photos especially.....any chance you can provide some recipes once ur back home?

What cities/towns do you have lined up next?

Percy,

Thanks for your awesome descriptions of food and travels in Mumbai. Have been loving all the Parsi food photos especially.....any chance you can provide some recipes once ur back home?

What cities/towns do you have lined up next?

Ajitg, sure - let me know which recipes you would like.

Sorry for the lull in posting, travel and internet connection issues got in the way.

Having been to Iron Chef Morimoto's in Philadelphia a few dozen times, I wanted to check out his restaurant Wasabi at the Taj Palace near Gateway to India.

We went for the Omakase, which included-

Edamame

IMG_0118-800.jpg

Kobe Beef Carpaccio

IMG_0120-800.jpg

Signature Whitefish Carpaccio

IMG_0122-800.jpg

Hamachi and Jalapeno

IMG_0123-800.jpg

Spinach with Sesame sauce

IMG_0124-800.jpg

Rock Shrimp Tempura in Spicy Mayo Sauce

IMG_0125-800.jpg

Sushi and Sashimi - Spicy tuna, Salmon, O Toro, Unagi

IMG_0127-800.jpg

with the real Wasabi from Japan, rubbed on Sharkskin.

IMG_0129-800.jpg

Beef Teppanyaki

IMG_0130-800.jpg

Fried Rice

IMG_0131-800.jpg

Seabass

IMG_0132-800.jpg

Miso marinated Black Cod

IMG_0133-800.jpg

Barley tea - nice nutty flavor

IMG_0134-800.jpg

Cool tea pot

IMG_0135-800.jpg

Green tea ice cream and sweet red beans

IMG_0136-800.jpg

Wasabi infused Creme Brulee

IMG_0137-800.jpg

Overall the experience was quite good and in typical Japanese style was subtle but highlighted the key ingredient. The quality of food and service was on par with the other Morimoto restaurants I have been to, which is to say it is quite good. The price was also in the same ballpark, which is to say it is about 2-3 times higher than other fine dining restaurants in India.

Back to some Indian food, this time at the critically acclaimed Punjab Grill, owned by Chef Jiggs Kalra, known as the "Czar of Indian Cuisine", where we ordered

Kesar Lassi - which had some pendas (sweets)

IMG_0153-800.jpg

Tandoori Lambchops

IMG_0156-800.jpg

Tandoori mixed Grill

IMG_0157-800.jpg

Punjab Meat

IMG_0158-800.jpg

IMG_0159-800.jpg

Kashmiri Biryani - with almond stuffed morel mushrooms

IMG_0161-800.jpg

Towards the end of the meal, they bring you a finger bowl, which seemed to confuse a few on the large table of Europeans seated next to us.

IMG_0162.JPG

Edited by percyn (log)

Many moons ago, as a kid, I lived near Swati, which is now a very famous snack place and there is a constant line to be seated, but it is worth the wait.

After a 30min wait, we ordered

Amiri Khaman

IMG_0172-800.jpg

Dahi Puri - one of my favorite chaat snacks, but it was not as good as I remembered and preferred Kailash Prabat's version, where I believe the puris are fried in pure ghee, giving it a rich flavor and crisper texture.

IMG_0026-800.jpg

Misal

IMG_0173-800.jpg

Gujrati Dal Dhokla - a tasty vegetarian version of chicken and dumplings

IMG_0175-800.jpg

served with a Papad topped with the oil from pickle or Achar

IMG_0176-800.jpg

Fresh Sitaful ice cream

IMG_0177-800.jpg

Kala Khatta ice gola - sweet, sour, touch of spice from the chaat masala

IMG_0178-800.jpg

Also managed to squeeze in a trip to Leopold cafe, a popular hangout spot with ex-pats since 1871, which was unfortunately a target in the 2008 bombings in Mumbai.

IMG_0109-800.jpg

Mango shake

IMG_0111-800.jpg

Fresh lime soda

IMG_0115-800.jpg

Chicken chelo kebab - unfortunatley it was a bit dry and I should have gone for the beef (or was it lamb?) version

IMG_0114-800.jpg

Indo-Chinese peppered chili beef

IMG_0112-800.jpg

Still reading and still loving every photo and every piece of information. The food looks divine. We don't eat much Indian food anymore for some unknown reason and I really miss it. Must start in again and learn some new recipes.

Thanks Percyn.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.