• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Percyn's travels (2011) continued

heidih

I'm strapped in and ready to go

Ditto here :smile:

I could mention that I am taking this class soon about making edible gifts from around the world and the Chikki is one of the items.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks for continuing to share the food on your trip.

Chaat with all its play of different flavors and textures fascinates me. Exactly up my alley. Looking forward to your report.

Darienne, what kind of chikki do you plan to make?

I have no idea at this point. It's up to the teaching chef I guess. I wrote to her that I had some panela...you can't get it here...but in her reply she didn't mention that.

What is your favorite kind? Or favorites? And do you make it usually? Any tips to give me???? :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Peanut and sesame chikki are both awesome.

It's so easy to make you won't need any real tips. The key thing is good ingredients. The tastier your jaggery is, so the tastier your chikki will be.

By the way I am ashamed to say that all this talk of chikki has caused me to consume a large bar....well, I shared with a friend but still it was too much!

Percyn - life is getting in the way of fun for me lately, but I've been trying to keep up with the blog - and it has been absolutely fascinating! I don't ever want it to stop! Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Thanks Kim, I am glad you are enjoying it, even if you need to revisit it at a later date.

Darienne, what kind of chikki do you plan to make?

I have no idea at this point. It's up to the teaching chef I guess. I wrote to her that I had some panela...you can't get it here...but in her reply she didn't mention that.

What is your favorite kind? Or favorites? And do you make it usually? Any tips to give me???? :smile:

Peanut and Sesame is popular, though I prefer Kaju (Cashew) or Dry Fruits with Pistachios.

Will try to post chikki pics soon.

So as it turns out, our plans changed a little and instead of chaat (which we will do later), we went for Gujurati Style Thali. Not pictured were dishes from a later course such as rice, shrikhand, etc.

IMG_0146-800.jpg

We also ordered a special called Dal Dhokla, which is a Rajasthani dish with spiced dal and little dough balls to which a little pure ghee and sugar is added.

IMG_0147-800.jpg

Before leaving Panchgani, we went on a remote hike/picnic, passing small villages, distancing ourselves from vehicles and swapping vehicles for bullock carts. The only buildings were mud huts, farmhouses and the occasional temple or shrine.

The only sounds you hear are from the birds chirping, the wind bellowing and the calls from the herdsmen tending to their cattle. Such spaces are becoming a rarer find these days.

IMG_0139-800.jpg

IMG_0138-800.jpg

IMG_0126-800.jpg

IMG_0128-800.jpg

IMG_0116-800.jpg

That photo of the valley is just breathtaking...

I'm not sure quite what I thought the hinterlands of India looked like, but now I know for sure. Thanks Percy!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The fruit has stickers! Identification or?

The shrimp and potato dish looks and sounds really appealing.

I suspect the fruit with the stickers is part of a shipment which may have been destined for export.

Yes, the shrimp and potato dish is delicious and easy to make.

Marinate shrimp in turmeric, salt and a little chili powder. Sautee and remove it.

Lightly fry cumin seeds, mustard seeds, desiccated coconut, tumeric, very little chili powder, curry leaves. Add diced potatoes, sautee and add water and cover until potatoes are almost done. Add shrimp back and serve.

For a snack yesterday evening, I had

Chicken Kathi Roll - They make it in batches of 4, but I only had 1 - promise :laugh: . It is similar to a Frankie, which I still prefer and will try to capture during this trip.

IMG_0021-800.jpg

Since, I had promised Chaat, we went to Kailash Prabhat, a famous chaat place.

Sev Puri

IMG_0027-800.jpg

Dahi Puri

IMG_0026-800.jpg

Dal Kachori

IMG_0025-800.jpg

Falooda Kulfi

IMG_0023-800.jpg

While I was out shopping, I picked up Paneer (fresh cheese).

IMG_0006-800.jpg

Enjoyed a sweet Lassi (note the tasty cream yoghurt on top) while observing young boys prepare the day's meal for the restaurant.

IMG_0007-800.jpg

IMG_0005-800.jpg

and picked up chicken and goat meat. The meat is always fresh, but the processing might make a USDA inspector's head explode.

IMG_0010-800.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)