• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Korean in Toronto

GordonCooks

Good Day All,

Taking my folks to TO for the weekend so they can IKEA shop. The Best Korean I've had is my mom's but I'm looking for a traditional, non-fusion style place she would enjoy. She's not much for trendy, fancy, etc but appreciates house made kimhcee, panchan, etc...Bulgogi and Kalbi as such are nice but we do ours over charcoal as a rule.

Thanks in advance for recommendations.

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

I can't give any personal recommendations as I haven't had Korean in quite a while, but blogTO just published an article a couple days ago about the best Korean BBQ in Toronto, and I have usually been happy with their other recommendations:

http://www.blogTO.com/toronto/the_best_korean_bbq_in_toronto/

There's a link in the article to reviews for other (non BBQ) Korean restaurants.

This place is kind of out of the way, but if you're going to be heading west on the QEW then it's pretty close. It's in Cooksville, about 150 meters east of Hurontario on Dundas, on the north side.

http://www.restaurantica.com/on/mississauga/wow-korean-restaurant/23011692/

I've eaten here once before, and while I'm not well versed in Korean cuisine I have to say I loved it. They make their own kimchi and even sell it, I understand.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

I'm going to suggest Owl of Minerva. It's pretty far north on Yonge (not sure where Ikea is in Toronto). The Pork Bone soup is their specialty and I usually choose their bibimbap. Really love their kimchi too.

Owl Of Minerva

(5 reviews, average rating: 4.4/5)

Cuisines: Korean

(416) 221-7275

5324 Yonge Street North York, ON M2N 5P9

A bit further north will bring you to the Korean Galeria Korean Supermarket - lots of goodies to shop for if you want to bring food items home.

7171 Yonge St., Thornhill, ON

As far as Cooksville - a possibility but hoping to stay close to the hotel on Bloor, thanks as well

Yep, that makes sense. I wasn't sure if you were going to be at the Ikea at QEW/427 or another. Wow is about 5 miles from there.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

As far as Cooksville - a possibility but hoping to stay close to the hotel on Bloor, thanks as well

Yep, that makes sense. I wasn't sure if you were going to be at the Ikea at QEW/427 or another. Wow is about 5 miles from there.

Trev - you talking about the one in Burlington? You must live just around the corner from me.

Hi Kerry, I do live in Burlington, so it's likely true that I'm just around the corner from you. Aren't you in Hamilton? I'm in south Burlington, near Burloak.

I have been to the Ikea here quite a few times (where QEW and 403 split), but the Ikea I was referring to earlier is just east of the 427 and QEW junction, on the north side. It's a big one. It's accessible from The Queensway and is a couple hundred meters west of Kipling. It's not far from Cooksville and I find myself there at least once a week for work. My worksite is <50 meters from Wow restaurant, so it surprises even me that I've only eaten there once. Of course now I'm thinking about it again so I may have to make another trip.

yep, you sure are close to Ikea then (around our house that's a good thing).

I don't know much about Korean food, as I've said, but Wow gets some decent reviews and not many criticisms. It's a real mom and pop kind of place. I remember having the porkbone soup there and I also remember really liking the kimchi.

Now I'm going to have to go back again. :cool:

Edited by Trev (log)

Owl of Minerva is a great spot and on my short list, Thanks!

Isn't there an Owl on the Bloor strip? We tend to go to the Korean Village there. but, I really have no idea how it compares to similar joints around there. I've seen Susur in there a couple times at the sushi bar, if that means anything.

Swish by Han just got reviewed in one of the weeklies. Definitely not old-school Korean though. More Korean-influenced. Fusion I believe was mentioned.

Cheers,

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Owl of Minerva is a great spot and on my short list, Thanks!

Isn't there an Owl on the Bloor strip? We tend to go to the Korean Village there. but, I really have no idea how it compares to similar joints around there. I've seen Susur in there a couple times at the sushi bar, if that means anything.

Swish by Han just got reviewed in one of the weeklies. Definitely not old-school Korean though. More Korean-influenced. Fusion I believe was mentioned.

Cheers,

Geoff

Yep, there is one Owl on Bloor, and there's another on Yonge south of Finch.

I like Mot Na Son on Yonge, and Seoul House on Dufferin. I especially like the Galbi at Seoul House.

I like Swish if I'm looking to eat near the Esplanade/St. Lawrence Market. I'd say it's closer to Korean than Korean-influenced, but sort of a Westernized, slightly upscale take. Maybe not spicy or garlicky enough for traditionalists, but the 5 or 6 dishes I've ordered still looked like Korean food. I thought it was a good value for what it was, considering the neighbourhood where it's located, but it is expensive compared to the equivalent dishes at Korean restaurants on Bloor near Clinton, or closer to Finch. That being said, the prices are reasonable compared to other places on the same block such as Lucien and Trevor. I like it for what it is.

Edited by phoenikia (log)