• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sauce that will stay liquid when frozen?

Bruiser

I'm making lemon mousse domes that I would ideally like to fill with a sauce/ syrup that won't completely solidify when the domes are frozen.

The idea is that when you cut into them the sauce would flow out onto the plate.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I wonder how well that would hold. Would the sauce soak into the mousse as it sits in the freezer? I'm thinking mousse is going to be pretty porous. It would have to not be too liquid, or it could be a pain to execute.

Can you make the mousse hollow and inject the sauce just prior to service? Or do something like make your dome, leave a well at the bottom, fill well with sauce, cap with a round of white chocolate, and invert onto the plate when ordered?

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

What if you freeze the sauce into little cubes using liquid nitrogen (I've never done this--it just came up when a pastry chef friend and I were discussing booze-filled chocolate desserts, so maybe it wouldn't work as well as we imagine) and then make the rest of the mousse as normal. Place the little frozen cubes of sauce inside the mousse domes. At 'normal' freezer temp., the centres will thaw into liquid.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I think you have a few possibilities here.

A 'coulant' works more or less the way you describe. The sauce essentially forms part of a dough or cake mix which is frozen; when you cook the balls of whatever-it-is the outside cooks but the inside melts just enough to become runny.

Another method, of which I have no personal experience, might be methylcellulose. I understand it works as a thickener which is solid at high temperatures but 'melts' as the temperature drops.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Or, you could make the centers for the bonbons that are usually the mini liqueur bottles (in a different shape) and try placing them inside the mousse, either in a chocolate shell or not.

Starch molded?

Yep! It just occurred to me that those are very liquid centers and would be fairly difficult for a diner to figure out how it was done -not something people do at home every day.