• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Dogs - Thinking Outside the Bun

DanM

We have quite a few threads here about various ways to dress a hot dog and the various brands, but nothing about what else they can be used for, like frank and beans. Any favorites you wish to share?

Just contributing to the drivel...

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Salchipapas! This is essentially octopus-cut hot dog quarters with quickly pan-roasted new potatoes (or fries, if you're a lazy bum). Ideally, the potatoes should be cooked in the fat from the dogs.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I have wondered about gourmet corn dogs, like a duck sausage blue corn - corn dog...slathered in plum sauce.

How 'bout a ginger dog? I don't know if you'd classify it as gourmet or not... but they're tasty. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I had to dig this one out of the memory database, since I haven't cooked it in ages. A casserole of all-beef hot dogs, sauerkraut with sauteed onions, raisins, and sliced boiled potatoes with butter. Some broth to moisten, a sprinkling of Swiss or Gouda cheese on top, then the casserole was baked in the oven until heated through and bubbling. I started with a recipe in Gourmet mag and played around with it. It's best made with knockwurst, but one day I didn't have any knockwurst so I subbed some all-beef hot dogs, and the casserole still tasted good.

Edited by djyee100 (log)

I'm a classicist: German style franks steamed over kraut sautéed with onion. A couple of weeks ago I added unpasteurized, untreated apple cider for the steaming liquid. Good mustard, a beer and some rye bread complete the meal.

Yup yup and yup. I usually use white wine for the liquid.

We didn't get a lot of hotdogs at home, although stabbing them indecently onto a stick and roasting them in the fire was practically compulsory at skating parties and random backwoods explorations (for some reason doing anything in the backwoods meant you built a fire). Sometimes they were eaten with bannock buns made by wrapping the dough in a spiral around a thick stick, then inserting the wiener into the cavity, Which really sounds wrong, now I see that in writing.....

The only canned soup we regularly had in the house was Campbell's French Canadian Pea Soup. Dad always sliced knockwurst (or hotdogs in a pinch) into it. Which probably sounds wrong too. Then again, we also ate cretons on toasted German light rye. We were a culturally mixed family!

The hotdogs here are far too mushy for my taste, with no snap to them at all, although Aldi's American style aren't terrible when the caving hits. Unfortunately, open fires are largely frowned upon in tinder dry climates...

Our "dogs" were German style Wieners and I think were veal & pork with a great snap to the casing. We generally had them just simmered to heat with some spicy mustard on the side and often alongside a simmered mix of sauerkraut, fresh cabbage, onions and grated potato. Those red things in buns we got a other kids birthday parties.

Ohhhhhhhh, I have one ! It's an old stand-by of mine. You make a corn bread batter (any standard recipe would probably work), but only a small batch of it. Spread the batter in a greased 11x7 inch sheet pan (or a 1/4-sheet would probably also work). You don't want the bread part too thick. Toss some sliced scallions into the batter as well, and some shredded cheese if you're feeling reckless.

Take the weenies, and slit them, down the length, but not all the way through. Now, you can go two different ways.

Either take some pickle relish (dill or sweet, whichever floats your particular boat), and drain it. Mix in some Dijon mustard, and use that to stuff the dogs.

-OR- drain some salsa (use the drained salsa juice as part of the liquid for the cornbread) and toss in some additional chopped scallions. Stuff the dogs with the drained salsa (add spices/chiles to taste to the drained salsa, I've used cumin and jalapenos usually).

Push the stuffed dogs down into the cornbread batter, spacing them evenly. Sprinkle with more shredded cheese and bake, I *think* at 350/375° until the cornbread is done, and the cheese melts.

Cut between each dog, so that each person gets a stuffed hottie dog wrapped in cornbread.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Forgot about this old party fav:

Heat equal parts cheap yellow mustard and currant jelly. It will smell quite pungent at first as the vinegar from the mustard evaporates, but this will subside. When melted and warm, add cocktail franks or cut up full size dogs. Serve when heated through in chafing dish with toothpicks.

Edited by rlibkind (log)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I use mini-hot dogs (Nathan's preferred) or hot dogs cut up into quarters, for dunking into cheese fondue.

Yes! Hot dogs + melty gooey cheese is sooooo good!

Nigella Lawson has a delicious recipe for mini hot dogs baked in a sauce of honey, soy, hoisin & sesame oil till it gets glazed & caramelly. Makes a tasty & quick party snack.