• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Single old-fashioned glass

Hassouni

So as I'm sure everyone here knows, most stores only sell "double" old fashioned glasses in size of 10-14 oz, which is way too damn big for an old fashioned, and positively humongous for a rockless Sazerac! Are there any nationwide stores that sell a sensibly sized glass, 5-8 oz perhaps?

Out of curiosity i know proper glassware is important, however I've been making due with only a couple double rocks glasses. Living in a VERY small suite style apartment my liquor cabinet actually takes up the majority of my "bookshelf". With such constraints glassware just ends up at the bottom of my priorities, am I incorrect in this valuation??

Im assuming at least some of you think i need more glassware based upon some posts I've seen (sorry for teh small HJ, curious)

In Vancouver theres a store which sells 8oz rocks i think, bought a barspoon there last week and recall seeing both single and double rocks...then again Im in Canada where the trend of bigger is better is only slowly catching on it seems

Libbey glassware makes just about everything and I often find them at a nearby restaurant supply store. Can be ordered online as well. Biggest problem I have is convincing them to break a case. I can't really use 3 or 4 dozen of them!

Libbey model 127 old fashioned glass

This is a good example. 6.5 oz glasses that are about $1.33 each new. Unfortunately they come as a case of 4 dozen. Might be a couple more than you want...

Might be able to find a store that will sell you less but cost will likely be higher. I bought some Libbey coupe glasses here (they will sell you as many or as few as you like but it is expensive) and they have some single old fashion style glasses (Paris 5.1 oz, Tossa 7.6 oz or Banquet Whiskey 8.8 oz glasses).

Or can try the goodwill/dollar store route suggested or Ebay. Usaually a deal to be found if you are persistent.

I have seen single old fashioned glasses as part of a "gift set" this time of year. Crown Royal used to do that alot. Assuming you have any use for Crown Royal! And of course that means the glass usually has the name of the booze etched on them...

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I've gotten lots of cool cocktail glasses on eBay. That's your best bet for small quantities, though here in NYC the restaurant supply stores on Bowery will sell you smaller quantities than a case - at a big markup as mentioned above.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

So as I'm sure everyone here knows, most stores only sell "double" old fashioned glasses in size of 10-14 oz, which is way too damn big for an old fashioned, and positively humongous for a rockless Sazerac! Are there any nationwide stores that sell a sensibly sized glass, 5-8 oz perhaps?

You don't mention price. If you would like to invest in some beautiful crystal glasses, you might have an easier time finding the proper size.

Of course, they're a lot more expensive.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Oldly, I kind of dig a sazerac in d.o.f. glass. When the cocktail sits relatively low in the glass, there's more empty side walls to be coated with absinthe, which I feel makes for a more aromatic drink.

Totally agree with this--that extra surface area for your Herbsaint (or equivalent) is important to the drink. I stopped making sazeracs in s.o.f. glasses because the aromatics just weren't there.

That said, I do have a couple of these Heavy Sham Rocks Glass, 5 3/4 oz. around and use them often for sipping spirits, rock-less old fashioneds (something I make quite a bit) and certain cocktails that just seem to work better as a down drink.

Out of curiosity i know proper glassware is important, however I've been making due with only a couple double rocks glasses. Living in a VERY small suite style apartment my liquor cabinet actually takes up the majority of my "bookshelf". With such constraints glassware just ends up at the bottom of my priorities, am I incorrect in this valuation??

Im assuming at least some of you think i need more glassware based upon some posts I've seen (sorry for teh small HJ, curious)

In Vancouver theres a store which sells 8oz rocks i think, bought a barspoon there last week and recall seeing both single and double rocks...then again Im in Canada where the trend of bigger is better is only slowly catching on it seems

Hi Sohoskiracer - Can I ask which store you found the single glasses? I'm in your neck of the woods and wouldn't mind buying a couple smaller rocks glasses. TIA!

I don't know about nationwide, but online there are some good sources. The Schott Zwiesel ones (I think maybe the Paris line) are ~ 5 oz and available individually or in sets of 6 on Amazon for a fairly reasonable price. I have a couple of these, and they're quite nice quality. If you're really averse to buying online, it's possible that stores like Crate and Barrel or Sur La Table which carry their other products could special order them.

Boston Shaker also sells a few types around that size:

http://store.thebostonshaker.com/index.php?c=51

Edited by Will (log)

Hi Sohoskiracer - Can I ask which store you found the single glasses? I'm in your neck of the woods and wouldn't mind buying a couple smaller rocks glasses. TIA!

This kitchen store on 4th by Sophie Cosmic Cafe. I don't know how good they are as I was there to buy other things, but i do believe they have some single rocks glasses. That and dont know if they have any but theres Kitchen Corner Superstore right nearby as well and they may have something...not all their stuff is great quality though.

In the UK? Ikea POKAL at 15cl?

These are the ones. Just saw them today in my local IKEA. Small. Shaped right. Feel good in the hand. 5 oz. capacity. $2.99 for a 6 pack. Can't go wrong. At that price they're practically disposable.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

In theory they're at every IKEA. Or perhaps you could order more online if there isn't a store near you. As soon as I clear some space in my bar cabinets I want a six pack of these too...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol