• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese in Vancouver 2007 -

SushiCat

Any suggestions for decent Sichuan hotpot in yvr? Not your average spicy hotpots from the Cantonese places around town. It's either there or The Xiang for me but I don't think I can eat another Hunan meal for a while.

• 1 month later...

I dig Chuan Xiang Ge 川香阁 in Richmond. First, they're consistent, from dish to dish and visit to visit. I'd drop the name of the chef if I didn't forget it. He's got a deep knowledge of Sichuan food and prepared some really interesting off-the-menu requests that my girl and I have made. The daily specials are good and so are the rustic dishes. The last time I went there I had Northern Sichuan liangfen (北川凉粉), Yuzhou chicken, and an off-menu-request, very authentic kaishui baicai 开水白菜, and a big ol' fish head. A good Sichuan place, you can order four spicy dishes and they're all spicy in different ways: the liangfen was served ice cold, heavy on the huajiao, left the mouth buzzing... the Yuzhou chicken was a perfect rustic dish, full of pickled peppers and dried chili... the fish head was made with chopped chilis 剁辣椒 sauce which worked well with the fattiness of the fish head. Good place.

I haven't tried enough Sichuan places in town, because I'm so often disappointed, but I like this one.

I dig Chuan Xiang Ge 川香阁 in Richmond. First, they're consistent, from dish to dish and visit to visit.

I haven't tried enough Sichuan places in town, because I'm so often disappointed, but I like this one.

Wow - Chuan Xiang Ge sounds amazing DylanK!

How's the Gong Bao chicken (宫保鸡丁) and Ma Po Doufu (麻婆豆腐)? I've been searching high and low for a true Ma Po Doufu in Metro Vancouver. And the Gong Bao chicken is what I always use to judge the quality of a Sichuan restaurant - and it's tasty too of course.

I wonder if they have shuizhu yu (水煮鱼 - spicy water-boiled fish)? If so I might just have to move to Richmond... :wink:

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

I think shuizhu yu 水煮鱼 is on the menu, since they do a ton of fish dishes. I'll check for that the next time I go. I love shuizhu yu.

I haven't tried the mapo doufu there. I'm weird about mapo doufu. Even in China, I rarely get the version of it I want. Even in Sichuan! In Canada, I find the sauce is usually too mild, or even sweet, and it doesn't have any real punch. In China, I find it's usually drowned in oil.

The plate of mapo doufu that I measure all others against:

mpdf2.jpgmpdf.jpg

I think someone was asking about Sichuan hot pot and I was kinda curious about that, too.

I was there a couple of months ago and am dying to go back. I only had a few dishes....but my own litmus test (dan dan noodles) passed with flying colours. (Lots of Sichuan peppercorn and cruncy fried soybeans in a "proper" chili-oil sauce. The noodles were also nice and chewy.)DSCF2425.JPG

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post a quick report on Chuan Xiang Ge. DylanK, grayelf, grayelf's SO - J, and I went there a couple of nights ago. Overall, the food was very polished and delicious. There were some subtle compromises made to appeal to the local palate (eg, a bit of Cantonizing, toning down of heat, etc).

DSC02037.JPG

From the sounds of things (and DylanK can back me up), we can ask for a purely Sichuan meal from the chef and he can deliver it without compromises. The slight authenticities were most likely a result of a their misunderstanding of our expectations. This is my 4th time there (first 3 for lunch) and I would definitely recommend it....just make sure to be clear to them about your preferences.

I'd also add that everyone at the table prefered S&W Pepperhouse (Burnaby) for its bustling ambiance, unmuted flavours and in-your-face Sichuaness.

I would personally like to complete the snapshot of the current state of Sichuan here in town with a couple more visits to Chuan Xiang Ge and a couple more visits to Golden Spring (Xiao Sichuan).

Are we missing any authentically Sichuan places that we should check out? I've discounted Golden Szechuan, Szechuan Restaurant on Saba, Szechuan House (two locations - Bby, and Cambie) for a variety of reasons. Perhaps they have improved of late and deserve a second chance?

-f

fmed

I'd also add that everyone at the table prefered S&W Pepperhouse (Burnaby) for its bustling ambiance, unmuted flavours and in-your-face Sichuaness.

Not to discount your tastes and opinions, but my two-cents:

A lot of the items on S&W's menu are not Sichuan. And I find that their "spiciness" is more fiery than numbing; the latter, as well as the complex inter-play of the four flavours (sweet, sour, bitter and spiciness) are the true hallmarks of Sichuan cuisine. The all-out peppery-fire at S&W somewhat makes its dishes a little too one-dimensional to me. Besides, Sichuan cuisine is known for its non-spicy dishes as much as its spicy ones; it's much easier to over-whelm the diners with spicy dishes than to subtly charm and seduce them with non-spicy ones, which a Sichuan chef must do to be worth his salt.

As for Golden Spring, it might just be isolated incidents, but on more than one occasions, either myself or my friends did not feel well after dining there. I personally would not be going back, although I am sure others would have better luck.

They do list dishes from Guizhou (including their new signature Conde Nast approved dish - Guizhuo Fish in Cilantro/Chile/Peanut sauce).

I think what appeals to me most about S&W is the rustic quality of the food. Some of the dishes can end up too fiery for sure (eg the Water Boiled dishes in the Richmond branch was just too one-dimensional in its chili flavours) - however, in our last group dinner at the Burnaby location, the chef managed to balance the flavours well. I think we ordered well too.

I must reiterate that the CXG may have misread us when they prepared the dishes....so my experience was coloured from that perspective.

Edited by fmed (log)

fmed

From the sounds of things (and DylanK can back me up), we can ask for a purely Sichuan meal from the chef and he can deliver it without compromises.

That's genius fmed! I never thought to tell the chef our preferences - I guess I'm just used to accepting whatever we get.

My gf and I went to CXG last week for the first time. While it was good and spicy, the dishes that should have had huajiao (花椒 - Sichuan pepper) didn't have any. Could it be because most diners in Richmond don't like the tingly numbness of huajiao? We asked about the chef, and the waitress said he's from Chengdu so I'm sure he'd be happy to make the dishes as close to Sichuan style as possible. We'll definitely try that next time.

BTW - Is the S&W Pepper House you're talking about in the Crystal Mall?

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

That does tend to happen a lot. Even here at CXG, one person at another forum "hated it". I wish CXG would take a non-compromising stance the way Xiang/Alvin Garden (Hunan) does. There is some negotiation in terms of chili heat, but the food there never crosses the line.

PS I actually talked about both locations of S&W - Crystal Mall and at No 3 Rd in Richmond. I prefer the food at S&W.

fmed

That does tend to happen a lot. Even here at CXG, one person at another forum "hated it". I wish CXG would take a non-compromising stance the way Xiang/Alvin Garden (Hunan) does. There is some negotiation in terms of chili heat, but the food there never crosses the line.

PS I actually talked about both locations of S&W - Crystal Mall and at No 3 Rd in Richmond. I prefer the food at S&W.

In the last sentence above, I meant to say "I prefer the food at S&W Burnaby."

fmed

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post a quick report on Chuan Xiang Ge. DylanK, grayelf, grayelf's SO - J, and I went there a couple of nights ago. Overall, the food was very polished and delicious. There were some subtle compromises made to appeal to the local palate (eg, a bit of Cantonizing, toning down of heat, etc).

DSC02037.JPG

From the sounds of things (and DylanK can back me up), we can ask for a purely Sichuan meal from the chef and he can deliver it without compromises. The slight authenticities were most likely a result of a their misunderstanding of our expectations. This is my 4th time there (first 3 for lunch) and I would definitely recommend it....just make sure to be clear to them about your preferences.

I would personally like to complete the snapshot of the current state of Sichuan here in town with a couple more visits to Chuan Xiang Ge and a couple more visits to Golden Spring (Xiao Sichuan).

Are we missing any authentically Sichuan places that we should check out? I've discounted Golden Szechuan, Szechuan Restaurant on Saba, Szechuan House (two locations - Bby, and Cambie) for a variety of reasons. Perhaps they have improved of late and deserve a second chance?

-f

Hey fmed -- sorry to contradict you just a trice, but I actually prefer both the grub and the atmosphere at CXG so far (having visited it twice and the two S&Ws once each, so a tiny sample). Not that I disliked either S&W, I just preferred CXG. I was in love with the water boiled fish at CXG which although deffo milder than the other two's versions, was I thought a better fish (not sure what kind).

I think I have turned too and now prefer CXG for its more refined take on Sichuan. I do think that S&W's much more robust and rustic approach with its cafeteria ambiance has its own appeal. I like them both. If anything - the cold peanut and cilantro dish at S&W is worth the trip....and their water boiled dishes are certainly a lot scarier looking in terms of the sheer amount of chilies and huajiao.

I'm still in for fried rabbit heads at CXG if anyone dares.

fmed

I think I have turned too and now prefer CXG for its more refined take on Sichuan.

This is how positive feedback loops work -- the more people asking for and appreciating authentic dishes, the better the chef will strive for them. If more of us keep up our demand on CXG's authentic Sichuan food, I can see a lot of potential there.

I'm still in for fried rabbit heads at CXG if anyone dares.

Sounds like I'll just have to give it a try next time I go in!

• 5 weeks later...

Are there any decent Chinese (non dim sum) restaurants in Chinatown?

Sadly, no. (Though, I have a couple of nostalgic hole-in-the-wall favourites - Gain Wah, Newtown, Foo's Ho Ho).

fmed

another gain wah fan here, i think it is quite decent for what it is, and find the service miles ahead of the average completely indifferent service at most hole-in-wall chinese restaurants, the owner in particular is always genuinely friendly and attentive

• 3 weeks later...

Went to CXG last night and I loved it. Water cooked rabbit was delcious - in fact, it was so succulent, it had me second guessing if it was really rabbit (the tiny bones would indicate that it was rabbit). Star Dish was live spotted prawns stir fried with dried chili's, sichuan peppercorns, garlic and scallions. Spicy lemony tingle contrasting perfectly with sweet fresh prawns (which were cooked superbly).

Now I am curious about the fried rabbit heads!

Question - I though I saw a picture of a steamed rice/meat dish that was served with steamed white buns to wrap everything up in. But CXG says that they don't make it. Am I thinking of another place?

Went to CXG last night and I loved it. Water cooked rabbit was delcious - in fact, it was so succulent, it had me second guessing if it was really rabbit (the tiny bones would indicate that it was rabbit). Star Dish was live spotted prawns stir fried with dried chili's, sichuan peppercorns, garlic and scallions. Spicy lemony tingle contrasting perfectly with sweet fresh prawns (which were cooked superbly).

Now I am curious about the fried rabbit heads!

Question - I though I saw a picture of a steamed rice/meat dish that was served with steamed white buns to wrap everything up in. But CXG says that they don't make it. Am I thinking of another place?

To try the rabbit heads, you'll have to join us when we have our Watership 'down. (Thanks for that one grayelf). Glad you liked CXG...the cooking can be inconsistent, but when the chef is 'on' (and he thinks you want authentic Sichuan), the food is really good. (BTW there is a dedicated thread to CXG here.)

The steamed dish you are describing is 粉蒸肉 fěnzhēngròu which is served at Xi'an Xaochi at the Richmond Public Market.

DSC02436.JPG

Edited by fmed (log)

fmed

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      Big Plate Chicken - 大盘鸡 (dà pán jī)

This very filling dish of chicken and potato stew is from Xinjiang province in China's far west, although it is said to have been invented by a visitor from Sichuan. In recent years, it has become popular in cities across China, where it is made using a whole chicken which is chopped, with skin and on the bone, into small pieces suitable for easy chopstick handling. If you want to go that way, any Asian market should be able to chop the bird for you. Otherwise you may use boneless chicken thighs instead.

Ingredients

Chicken chopped on the bone or Boneless skinless chicken thighs  6

Light soy sauce

Dark soy sauce

Shaoxing wine

Cornstarch or similar. I use potato starch.

Vegetable oil (not olive oil)

Star anise, 4

Cinnamon, 1 stick

Bay leaves, 5 or 6

Fresh ginger, 6 coin sized slices

Garlic.  5 cloves, roughly chopped

Sichuan peppercorns,  1 tablespoon

Whole dried red chillies,   6 -10  (optional). If you can source the Sichuan chiles known as Facing Heaven Chiles, so much the better.

Potatoes 2 or 3 medium sized. peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces

Carrot. 1,  thinly sliced

Dried wheat noodles.  8 oz. Traditionally, these would be a long, flat thick variety. I've use Italian tagliatelle successfully.    

Red bell pepper. 1 cut into chunks

Green bell pepper, 1 cut into chunks

Salt

Scallion, 2 sliced.

Method

First, cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and marinate in 1½ teaspoons light soy sauce, 3 teaspoons of Shaoxing and 1½ teaspoons of cornstarch. Set aside for about twenty minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

Heat the wok and add three tablespoons cooking oil. Add the ginger, garlic, star anise, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, Sichuan peppercorns and chilies. Fry on a low heat for a  minute or so. If they look about to burn, splash a little water into your wok. This will lower the temperature slightly. Add the chicken and turn up the heat. Continue frying until the meat is nicely seared, then add the potatoes and carrots. Stir fry a minute more then add 2 teaspoons of the dark soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of the light soy sauce and 2 tablespoons of the Shaoxing wine along with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium. Cover and cook for around 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are done.

While the main dish is cooking, cook the noodles separately according to the packet instructions.  Reserve  some of the noodle cooking water and drain.

When the chicken and potatoes are done, you may add a little of the noodle water if the dish appears on the dry side. It should be saucy, but not soupy. Add the bell peppers and cook for three to four minutes more. Add scallions. Check seasoning and add some salt if it needs it. It may not due to the soy sauce and, if in the USA, Shaoxing wine.

Serve on a large plate for everyone to help themselves from. Plate the noodles first, then cover with the meat and potato. Enjoy.

• By liuzhou
      Way back in the 1990’s, I was living in west Hunan, a truly beautiful part of China. One day, some colleagues suggested we all go for lunch the next day, a Saturday. Seemed reasonable to me. I like a bit of lunch.

“OK. We’ll pick you up at 7 am.”

“Excuse me? 7 am for lunch?

“Yes. We have to go by car.”

Well, of course, they finally picked me up at 8.30, drove in circles for an hour trying to find the guy who knew the way, then headed off into the wilds of Hunan. We drove for hours, but the scenery was beautiful, and the thousand foot drops at the side of the crash barrier free road as we headed up the mountains certainly kept me awake.

After an eternity of bad driving along hair-raising roads which had this old atheist praying, we stopped at a run down shack in the middle of nowhere. I assumed that this was a temporary stop because the driver needed to cop a urination or something, but no. This was our lunch venue.

We shuffled into one of the two rooms the shack consisted of and I distinctly remember that one of my hosts took charge of the lunch ordering process.

“We want lunch for eight.” There was no menu.

The waitress, who was also the cook, scuttled away to the other room of the shack which was apparently a kitchen.

We sat there for a while discussing the shocking rise in bean sprout prices and other matters of national importance, then the first dish turned up. A pile of steaming hot meat surrounded by steaming hot chillies. It was delicious.

“What is this meat?” I asked.

About half of the party spoke some English, but my Chinese was even worse than it is now, so communications weren’t all they could be. There was a brief (by Chinese standards) meeting and they announced:

“It’s wild animal.”

Over the next hour or so, several other dishes arrived. They were all piles of steaming hot meat surrounded by steaming hot chillies, but the sauces and vegetable accompaniments varied. And all were very, very good indeed.

“What’s this one?” I ventured.

“A different wild animal.”

“And this?”

“Another wild animal.”

“And this?”

“A wild animal which is not the wild animal in the other dishes”

I wandered off to the kitchen, as you can do in rural Chinese restaurants, and inspected the contents of their larder, fridge, etc. No clues.

I returned to the table with a bit of an idea.

“Please write down the Chinese names of all these animals we have eaten. I will look in my dictionary when I get home.”

They looked at each other, consulted, argued and finally announced:

“Sorry! We don’t know in Chinese either. “

Whether that was true or just a way to get out of telling me what I had eaten, I’ll never know. I certainly wouldn’t be able to find the restaurant again.

This all took place way back in the days before digital cameras, so I have no illustrations from that particular meal. But I’m guessing one of the dishes was bamboo rat.

No pandas or tigers were injured in the making of this post

• By liuzhou
      Note: This follows on from the Munching with the Miao topic.

The three-hour journey north from Miao territory ended up taking four, as the driver missed a turning and we had to drive on to the next exit and go back. But our hosts waited for us at the expressway exit and led us up a winding road to our destination - Buyang 10,000 mu tea plantation (布央万亩茶园 bù yāng wàn mǔ chá yuán) The 'mu' is  a Chinese measurement of area equal to 0.07 of a hectare, but the 10,000 figure is just another Chinese way of saying "very large".

We were in Sanjiang Dong Autonomous County, where 57% of the inhabitants are Dong.

The Dong people (also known as the Kam) are noted for their tea, love of glutinous rice and their carpentry and architecture. And their hospitality. They tend to live at the foot of mountains, unlike the Miao who live in the mid-levels.

By the time we arrived, it was lunch time, but first we had to have a sip of the local tea. This lady did the preparation duty.

This was what we call black tea, but the Chinese more sensibly call 'red tea'. There is something special about drinking tea when you can see the bush it grew on just outside the window!

Then into lunch:

Chicken Soup

The ubiquitous Egg and Tomato

Dried fish with soy beans and chilli peppers. Delicious.

Stir fried lotus root

Daikon Radish

Rice Paddy Fish Deep Fried in Camellia Oil - wonderful with a smoky flavour, but they are not smoked.

Out of Focus Corn and mixed vegetable

Fried Beans

Steamed Pumpkin

Chicken

Beef with Bitter Melon

Glutinous (Sticky) Rice

Oranges

The juiciest pomelo ever. The area is known for the quality of its pomelos.

After lunch we headed out to explore the tea plantation.

Interspersed with the tea plants are these camellia trees, the seeds of which are used to make the Dong people's preferred cooking oil.

As we climbed the terraces we could hear singing and then came across this group of women. They are the tea pickers. It isn't tea picking time, but they came out in their traditional costumes to welcome us with their call and response music. They do often sing when picking. They were clearly enjoying themselves.

And here they are:

After our serenade we headed off again, this time to the east and the most memorable meal of the trip. Coming soon.

• By liuzhou
      It sometimes seems likes every town in China has its own special take on noodles. Here in Liuzhou, Guangxi the local dish is Luosifen (螺蛳粉 luó sī fěn).

It is a dish of rice noodles served in a very spicy stock made from the local river snails and pig bones which are stewed for hours with black cardamom, fennel seed, dried tangerine peel, cassia bark, cloves, pepper, bay leaf, licorice root, sand ginger, and star anise. Various pickled vegetables, dried tofu skin, fresh green vegetables, peanuts and loads of chilli are then usually added. Few restaurants ever reveal their precise recipe, so this is tentative. Luosifen is only really eaten in small restaurants and roadside stalls. I've never heard of anyone making it at home.

In order to promote tourism to the city, the local government organised a food festival featuring an event named "10,000 people eat luosifen together." (In Chinese 10,000 often just means "many".)

10,000 people (or a lot of people anyway) gathered at Liuzhou International Convention and Exhibition Centre for the grand Liuzhou luosifen eat-in. Well, they gathered in front of the centre – the actual centre is a bleak, unfinished, deserted shell of a building. I disguised myself as a noodle and joined them. 10,001.

The vast majority of the 10,000 were students from the local colleges who patiently and happily lined up to be seated. Hey, mix students and free food – of course they are happy.

Each table was equipped with a basket containing bottled water, a thermos flask of hot water, paper bowls, tissues etc. And most importantly, a bunch of Luosifen caps. These read “万人同品螺蛳粉” which means “10,000 people together enjoy luosifen”

Yep, that is the soup pot! 15 meters in diameter and holding eleven tons of stock. Full of snails and pork bones, spices etc. Chefs delicately added ingredients to achieve the precise, subtle taste required.

Noodles were distributed, soup added and dried ingredients incorporated then there was the sound of 10,000 people slurping.

Surrounding the luosifen eating area were several stalls selling different goodies. Lamb kebabs (羊肉串) seemed most popular, but there was all sorts of food. Here are few of the delights on offer.

Whole roast lamb or roast chicken

Lamb Kebabs

Kebab spice mix – Cumin, chilli powder, salt and MSG

Kebab stall

Crab

Different crab

Sweet sticky rice balls

Things on sticks

Grilled scorpions

Pig bones and bits

Snails

And much more.

To be honest, it wasn’t the best luosifen I’ve ever eaten, but it was wasn’t the worst. Especially when you consider the number they were catering for. But it was a lot of fun. Which was the point.

• By liuzhou
      Chinese food must be among the most famous in the world. Yet, at the same time, the most misunderstood.

I feel sure (hope) that most people here know that American-Chinese cuisine, British-Chinese cuisine, Indian-Chinese cuisine etc are, in huge ways, very different from Chinese-Chinese cuisine and each other. That's not what I want to discuss.

Yet, every day I still come across utter nonsense on YouTube videos and Facebook about the "real" Chinese cuisine, even from ethnically Chinese people (who have often never been in China). Sorry YouTube "influencers", but sprinkling soy sauce or 5-spice powder on your cornflakes does not make them Chinese!

So what is the "authentic" Chinese food? Well, like any question about China, there are several answers. It is not surprising that a country larger than western Europe should have more than one typical culinary style. Then, we must distinguish between what you may be served in a large hotel dining room, a small local restaurant, a street market stall or in a Chinese family's home.

That said, in this topic, I want to attempt to debunk some of the more prevalent myths. Not trying to start World War III.

When I moved to China from the UK 25 years ago, I had my preconceptions. They were all wrong. Sweet and sour pork with egg fried rice was reported to be the second favourite dish in Britain, and had, of course, to be preceded by a plate of prawn/shrimp crackers. All washed down with a lager or three.

Yet, in that quarter of a century, I've seldom seen a prawn cracker. And egg fried rice is usually eaten as a quick dish on its own, not usually as an accompaniment to main courses. Every menu featured a starter of prawn/shrimp toast which I have never seen in mainland China - just once in Hong Kong.

But first, one myth needs to be dispelled. The starving Chinese! When I was a child I was encouraged to eat the particularly nasty bits on the plate by being told that the starving Chinese would lap them up. My suggestion that we could post it to them never went down too well. At that time (the late fifties) there was indeed a terrible famine in China (almost entirely manmade (Maomade)).

When I first arrived in China, it was after having lived in Soviet Russia and I expected to see the same long lines of people queuing up to buy nothing very much in particular. Instead, on my first visit to a market (in Hunan Province), I was confronted with a wider range of vegetables, seafood, meat and assorted unidentified frying objects than I have ever seen anywhere else. And it was so cheap I couldn't convert to UK pounds or any other useful currency.

I'm going to start with some of the simpler issues - later it may get ugly!

1. Chinese people eat everything with chopsticks.

No, they don't! Most things, yes, but spoons are also commonly used in informal situations. I recently had lunch in a university canteen. It has various stations selling different items. I found myself by the fried rice stall and ordered some Yangzhou fried rice. Nearly all the students and faculty sitting near me were having the same.

I was using my chopsticks to shovel the food in, when I noticed that I was the only one doing so. Everyone else was using spoons. On investigating, I was told that the lunch break is so short at only two-and-a-half hours that everyone wants to eat quickly and rush off for their compulsory siesta.

I've also seen claims that people eat soup with chopsticks. Nonsense. While people use chopsticks to pick out choice morsels from the broth, they will drink the soup by lifting their bowl to their mouths like cups. They ain't dumb!

Anyway, with that very mild beginning, I'll head off and think which on my long list will be next.

Thanks to @KennethT for advice re American-Chinese food.