• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iwatani blowtorch–help with Japanese instructions

STP

Hi,

I brought an Iwatani blowtorch from Japan, and obviously it came with Japanese instructions.

I know that they suggest to use it with Iwatani gas canisters only (I am doing that) and I figured out how to fix it to che canister, regulate the flame ecc ecc.

But I was wondering whether any Japanese speaker person could double check the photos below and confirm that there is nothing I should worry about apart from the usual don't catch fire using it please :P

img9100d.th.jpg

img9099q.th.jpg

img9103lz.th.jpg

Thanks a lot for any help!

• 2 months later...

I use a blowtorch quire often in cooking. I there is little difference in gases, other than the gas type (Butane or Propane); I prefer Butane, but that is just me. All you need to do is turn on the gas and light it. Your torch may have a To practice, try frying an egg sunny side up and use the torch to quickly cook the top - sort of like easy over without the "over."

Have fun.