• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is this?

Taboni

I am in the process of cleaning out my parent's house for sale and finally got to the wine cellar (more of natural pantry below grade but we always called it the wine cellar).

Anyway amongst all of the bottles ranging from root beer schnapps from the 70s to 18 year mccallan I found 3 bottles of this mysterious stuff that my parents reportedly bought on their honeymoon in 1962 in the Caribbean.

I have no idea what this is and a search for Liqueur Ahenho turns up nothing. The top of the bottle is wrapped in silver foil and there is another small sticker attached to the bottle which says "excessive use of this product can become habit forming"...not sure if that is specific to whatever this is or a general alcohol warning which I would find strange for the time.

Anyway can anyone tell me what this is and if it is any good?

IMG00434-20111023-1403.jpg

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Thanks...I suppose I'm going just going to have to taste it and see....kind of wanted to keep the bottles intact if it wasn't worth drinking...

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

From the Benedictfield Christiansted part, it's an aged spirit from St. Croix (the Virgin Islands). Because it says liqueur instead of liquor, it's either sweetened or sweetened and flavored in some way. Perhaps it's just sweetened to make the over proof go down easier (many rums are actually sweetened to a small degree yet can still claim to be liquor).