• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Texas

David Ross

Totally agree on the shark jumping Holly. I had to fast forward through much of the actual 'competition' to just get to the food. Kudos to all four of them for making food that I'd actually want to eat however. That said, I'm so so disappointed in the outcome.

Totally agree on the shark jumping Holly. I had to fast forward through much of the actual 'competition' to just get to the food. Kudos to all four of them for making food that I'd actually want to eat however. That said, I'm so so disappointed in the outcome.

Yep, me, too. Was hopeful Sarah & Lindsay might have developed a little kindness, humanity and respect for Bev or, at the very minimum, manners, but then there was that inexcusable incident in the car when Paul asked Bev about LCK and Bev starts to chat about it and Sarah says, "Oh, look at the trees!" and rolls her eyes and smirks at Lindsay. How dismissive and demeaning can you get. Boy, I sure wish she had gone home.

But it is some vindication that in their "vote for your favorite chef" contest, the "mean girls" are much farther down the list than Bev.

In fact, come to think of it, believe I'll go there and do a little voting right now.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

That was a hilarious bit of editing in the Biathlon sequence. Before the commercial break they showed Bev with the rifle, we hear a shot crack and see Sarah fall over backward. Plus, Miss Crackshot Sarah was sighting her rifle with the wrong eye and bitching that Bev got more rounds than her? Whiny much? I'm thinking she was that girl in grade school who ratted on her classmates for minor infractions.

Other than that? Sheesh. Chewy rabbit is better than slightly (Tom said slightly twice) over-cooked char? I think not, but I think the fix was in. Do we want Bev to "step outside her comfort zone?" or do we want her to cook the "amazing" Asian flavors we've become used to, Tom?

Jaymes, I totally agree about the disrespect in the car. It would have been interesting to hear about LCK and, yes, Sarah: there are loads of trees in Canada. Thank you for pointing that out.

I think I'm done with Top Chef after this season.

Edited by annabelle (log)

Other than that? Sheesh. Chewy rabbit is better than slightly (Tom said slightly twice) over-cooked char? I think not, but I think the fix was in. Do we want Bev to "step outside her comfort zone?" or do we want her to cook the "amazing" Asian flavors we've become used to, Tom?

You can only assume so much about the quality of the food and the judging based on how the Magical Elves have edited. Invariably, *every* judges' table session is likely going to be edited to make it look close so there's some degree of suspense. It's entertainment first and foremost. If you want a clearer explanation of why they made the choice they did, check the Top Chef blogs. (Frankly, I'm so little invested in the outcome with this lot that I don't have the interest myself.)

But piling on with everyone, yeah, those were some ludicrous challenges last night.

Christopher

Fed up with this season which I've finally and reluctantly got to admit is the worst one yet, imo. As for Beverly, I would love to know what was in the pantry in that final challenge. It wasn't stocked with any of the things that she would typically use in building her flavours and, thus, seemed designed to give the loathsome Sarah an implicit advantage.

Sure, a chef should be able to make something tasty under all circumstances but if we're near the finals and asking chefs to make the best representation of who they are as a chef and the best food they can, then not having a level playing field for both constestants seems unfair.

"There are dogs, and then there are German Shepherds.... "- Unknown

Fed up with this season which I've finally and reluctantly got to admit is the worst one yet, imo. As for Beverly, I would love to know what was in the pantry in that final challenge. It wasn't stocked with any of the things that she would typically use in building her flavours and, thus, seemed designed to give the loathsome Sarah an implicit advantage.

Sure, a chef should be able to make something tasty under all circumstances but if we're near the finals and asking chefs to make the best representation of who they are as a chef and the best food they can, then not having a level playing field for both constestants seems unfair.

Actually, I think the cooking on this season looks (obviously, I can't taste it) so much better than many past seasons.

I think Bev had to go because she lost during the regular season, LCK be damned.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

That was a hilarious bit of editing in the Biathlon sequence. Before the commercial break they showed Bev with the rifle, we hear a shot crack and see Sarah fall over backward.

Yes, I noticed that, too, and laughed out loud.

And then looked to see if it was billed: Top Chef Texas - Episode 15 - in which Bev Has Had Enough

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I started out with a bad feeling about this episode, but changed my mind. Yes, it was gimmicky. But I do believe that winning a challenge in adverse circumstances is worthy of advancement to the finals.

But early on, I thought that if the last elimination came down some silly test, I would be outraged. But as it happens, the last challenge was pretty much straight up, despite the biathalon - which didn't really affect much (although if someone had broken a hip, that would've presented a dilemma). Rabbit vs. Arctic Char in a real kitchen. Game on. As it turned out, whatever the advantage gained in the biathalon was for naught.

The underdog Bev lost but finally got her props.

I don't agree with the 'jumped the shark' sentiments. If season 1 is the benchmark, Top Chef has alternately under- and over- acheived over the different seasons and variations.

This will definitely not be my favorite season, but there are other worthy candidates for the worst.

Isn't it a shame we're discussing the attitudes of the contestants rather than focusing on their dishes. For me, that sums up this deplorable season so far....too much attitude and not much exciting food.

Isn't it a shame we're discussing the attitudes of the contestants rather than focusing on their dishes. For me, that sums up this deplorable season so far....too much attitude and not much exciting food.

I personally can't event taste any dish that has a smidgeon of a beet in it, but I honestly thought based on the judges comments that Beverly would win it. If she hadn't mucked up the main focal point of the dish, the Char, she might have won over Sarah's albeit tough, braised rabbit. Sarah's dish of rabbit, cherries and hazelnuts fit perfectly in the setting of Vancouver and the Pacific Northwest, but I question why these Chefs often turn to a braising method when they know up front they don't have a lot of time to properly execute the dish.

I'm constantly wondering why Bravo even puts a title on Top Chef. Why would you name the season Top Chef Texas and have the finale thousands of miles to the Northwest?

Paul is my choice to win the title of Top Chef. He's been pretty consistent all season and has put together some really unique combinations in some of his dishes.

I'm constantly wondering why Bravo even puts a title on Top Chef. Why would you name the season Top Chef Texas and have the finale thousands of miles to the Northwest?

Well, they were filming in Texas in June/July. This past summer was particularly hot and dry. Absolutely brutal.

I wonder if perhaps they had just had enough. God knows I would have left for Whistler if I could have.

I don't know why people still harp on about this given that this has happened every season since the beginning of the show. The standard format is that they cook in the titular place until it's winnowed to the final X, everyone takes a big break and the finals are cooked in another location, after the season has started airing.

PS: I am a guy.

I don't know why people still harp on about this given that this has happened every season since the beginning of the show. The standard format is that they cook in the titular place until it's winnowed to the final X, everyone takes a big break and the finals are cooked in another location, after the season has started airing.

And I've constantly harped about it since season 1.

Well, Dave it sounds like you need to make your concerns known to Bravo. :raz:

I think that Top Chef as a franchise is done in my house. I liked Top Chef Masters and I'll watch that if they bring it back and it doesn't get stupid right out of the gate. In the meantime, we're watching the Worst Cook in America on the Food Network on Sunday nights. It's hosted by Ann Burrell (ick) and Bobby Flay this year.

And I've constantly harped about it since season 1.

Texas paid the money, it gets a title spot.

Well, that was a disappointment. I've never disliked -- nay, loathed -- a contestant on any show, in any field, as much as I do Sarah. I can't see past her revolting bullying, maliciousness and hypocrisy to even appreciate her food. For someone who was so quick to mock and viciously attack Beverly for only making Asian food, her insistence on making only Italian food drives me batty.

This episode also made me question, again, last week when TPTB decided not to provide Beverly any of the Asian ingredients necessary to create her typical flavours. I really think she was at an unfair disadvantage. Intentionally so, since Sarah was not so handicapped. And then, lo' and behold, this episode when there is no Beverly, the quick fire suddenly involves Asian masters. Hm.... For the first time, I really suspect some manipulation by the Magic Elves for maximum drama. I realize that sounds completely insane, and it probably is. I'm sorry. Clearly, rationality has flown out the window and been replaced by the blinding, seething hatred of a thousand corrosive suns. On that note, I'm going to take a very necessary chill pill.

Gotta admire Sarah's humility. She said she always knew Paul would be in the final, too.

As opposed, I suppose, to her just being awarded the top prize by unanimous acclaim.

This episode also made me question, again, last week when TPTB decided not to provide Beverly any of the Asian ingredients necessary to create her typical flavours. I really think she was at an unfair disadvantage.

Padma's reaction at Bev's departure made me wonder about that very thing. Padma seemed genuinely moved, more so than I think I've ever seen. I think she had probably seen some of the footage of Sarah et al being so unkind to Bev, but it's also possible that there were some behind-the-scenes collusion regarding who would stay and who would go, just for dramatic purposes.

The disclaimer clearly states that those decisions are not just up to the judges; but rather, that the producers also have a say.

Of course, Padma's reaction might have been edited to look as though she was upset at Bev's departure, but it could be that she was upset about something else entirely.

Who knows.

Evidently the state of Texas doesn't have a venue worthy of the finals for Top Chef Texas.

The finals have never been in the same state as the rest of the series.

In other news, congrats to Paul on his nomination for Best Chef southwest by the james beard foundation.

Edited by Twyst (log)

I'm not sure, but don't recall if the previous Top Chef seasons included the location as part of the name. They taped in specific cities, but did the title identify with that city?

In any event, this was the first time it was about a state and moved between cities. Despite the absence of "chicken-fried" I figured this season would be all about Texas from start to finish.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Padma's reaction at Bev's departure made me wonder about that very thing. Padma seemed genuinely moved, more so than I think I've ever seen. I think she had probably seen some of the footage of Sarah et al being so unkind to Bev, but it's also possible that there were some behind-the-scenes collusion regarding who would stay and who would go, just for dramatic purposes.

The disclaimer clearly states that those decisions are not just up to the judges; but rather, that the producers also have a say.

Of course, Padma's reaction might have been edited to look as though she was upset at Bev's departure, but it could be that she was upset about something else entirely.

Jaymes, I noticed that too. Given how much of an ice queen Padma usually is, it was quite stunning to see her with tears welling up in her eyes. I doubt it was mere editing tricks as Padma never seems particularly moved by anything. CJ's departure some seasons back was the only other time I noticed some visible emotion but it was never to this degree. I think the judges know full well what Beverly was subjected to: Gail implicitly indicated as such when she commented that Beverly may want to stab 2 particular people, and Tom's comments in LCK told me he knew too.

Slightly OT, The Daily Meal's list of the top 101 best restaurants for 2012 puts Sarah's Spiaggia at #59. Stephanie Izard's "Girl & The Goat" is listed at #23. I'm happy she's done so well. Better than any of the other Top Chef winners, in fact. It seems to me that there was the least amount of fanfare about Stephanie Izard winning Top Chef and the show has not really played a part in her success. Past winners or chefs seem much more associated with the show in people's minds (like the Voltaggio brothers or Richard Blais). And yet, Stephanie has done better than all of them. Hm....

Full List. (In case anyone is curious, Le Bernadin is #1, Alinea is #2, French Laundry #5.)