• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Texas

David Ross

I could have done without seeing that photo of Ty's behind, Andy. Thankyouverymuch.

A brief shot of it would have been bad enough. A quick teehee and then on to something else. But lingering on it? What on earth was that about? Gives wretched excess new meaning.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Have any of the rest of you read any of the interviews with Gail Simmons where she says that Paul's Chilled Sunchoke Soup is the best thing she's ever tasted?

Gail Simmons "Best thing I ever ate..."

That's pretty high praise.

There's a recipe for it on Bravo. Think I'll get myself to our local Asian market and try it.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The only thing that impressed me about that insipid reunion show was the gracious, calm, professionalism displayed by the "Top Chef"--Paul.

Must be the female vote. Grayson was the best. Without question. Pretty and didn't put up with Toms nonsense.

Well, they talked about how Chris "campaigned" for it. I don't know how. Maybe via twitter or something?

But everybody was laughing about his "ad campaign."

I'd rather he hadn't won, but was pleased with the rest of the order...glad that Bev placed higher than the "mean girls."

I was just happy to see that one of the few who took the high road and didn't try to back stab his/her comopetition was the winner.

I couldn't help noticing, even on the reunion episode, the eye-rolling still going on with Heather, Sarah and Lindsey whenever anyone complimented Bev. How small.

Linda

I was just happy to see that one of the few who took the high road and didn't try to back stab his/her comopetition was the winner.

I couldn't help noticing, even on the reunion episode, the eye-rolling still going on with Heather, Sarah and Lindsey whenever anyone complimented Bev. How small.

Linda

And I have to believe that in some small way, Paul's focus on what was important--his food, rather than the snarkiness of others--is what in part led him to the title of Top Chef.

And one of the highlights of the season for me (and actually a highlight of all of my television watching for lo these many years) was the interaction between Paul and his father after the victory. I remember in one of the scenes Paul talking about how he had had some difficult and risky times in his youth. I've spent some time around traditional Asian families, even living in Asia for a while, and the success or failure of the children carries a huge amount of importance. To watch the overwhelming emotion of that father upon seeing his son succeed so spectacularly was incredible. Honestly, I felt privileged to witness such an intimate and human moment.

The only thing I'm going to add to this is that I bet the Moto guys (who I was happy to see there going in) took some ribbing at the restaurant after this aired. "It's meeee... sob-sob-sob". Then the other one takes things that they actually do at Moto and does them extremely unwell. I wonder if Homaro has him in a prep area rolling cigars and carving potatoes all day now?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The only thing I'm going to add to this is that I bet the Moto guys (who I was happy to see there going in) took some ribbing at the restaurant after this aired. "It's meeee... sob-sob-sob". Then the other one takes things that they actually do at Moto and does them extremely unwell. I wonder if Homaro has him in a prep area rolling cigars and carving potatoes all day now?

I think you're right. They did play into the MG stereotype pretty well, didn't they?

Yeah, but I LIKED the Moto guys, they were cool. My wife felt the same way, and the Caramel apple stuffed with pork belly was one of the few dishes we've ever went out and cooked based on watching one of these shows. (it was pretty good)

Now what to watch though? Seems like there's a lull in food-competition shows right now.

I did NOT like the Moto guys. I'm with Grayson and her "Who is this guy?" about Chris.

Possibly it is just because I'm in 50's but I don't understand the tattoos, the goofy haircuts and those disk things in the ear lobes. Haircuts grow out, but why disfigure yourself? Especially the women. And, yes I know it has nothing to do with cooking, but I'm tired of the tattoos and piercings as well as the non-stop bleeping of the swearing.

Werdna: Sweet Genius, with Ron Ben-Israel starts tomorrow night on Food Network. It's a dessert competition that is every bit as weird as the original (Japanese) version of Iron Chef. I love it.

Werdna: Sweet Genius, with Ron Ben-Israel starts tomorrow night on Food Network. It's a dessert competition that is every bit as weird as the original (Japanese) version of Iron Chef. I love it.

Comment to my wife after I made her watch the first episode from last season: "See? I wasn't exaggerating AT ALL, was I?". I wait for his single word descriptions of the food with great anticipation. And whether someone is smiling, weeping, or changing into a Transformer, his half-smile stare does not change.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I did NOT like the Moto guys. I'm with Grayson and her "Who is this guy?" about Chris.

Possibly it is just because I'm in 50's but I don't understand the tattoos, the goofy haircuts and those disk things in the ear lobes. Haircuts grow out, but why disfigure yourself? Especially the women. And, yes I know it has nothing to do with cooking, but I'm tired of the tattoos and piercings as well as the non-stop bleeping of the swearing.

There's going to be a lot of funny-looking old ladies in the nursing homes of the future. :laugh: