• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Texas

David Ross

I think Tom likes Sarah.

Tom is a chubby chaser, eh?

I'm just glad the Sarah one is out and I still think Beverly was robbed. I have to agree with whoever it was who said upthread that they weren't going to let Beverly into the final three period. I agree with Jaymes that there was more going on that they let us know with the decision to let Beverly go last week. And last night, the first words out of Sarah's mouth were that she was so glad Beverly wasn't there (at the Asian venue) "because she would have killed it", meaning she would have waxed the floor with the rest of them.

I feel cheated about not getting to see Beverly go the distance since I thought she was really starting to shine and her confidence was growing stronger and so were her dishes. The rest of the contestants are a bunch of whiners and I'm tired of them.

But hates decorative greens. And Okra. And butternut squash mixed with tomatoes. And.... and...

Is it just me or does Tom seem to have more obsessive tics or quirky dislikes this season than before? It's as if he simply cannot get past the use of a particular ingredient. But, if you use coconut, by GOD, you bloody well better use enough to drown someone in the flavour!

"There are dogs, and then there are German Shepherds.... "- Unknown

Tom has always been a picky jerk. I remember him going off about contestants using canned beans. Quelle horreur! I mean really, they have a half hour to shop and an hour to prep and cook. Who the hell is going to risk making proper beans in 40 minutes?

Stir in the fact that he and the other judges have polar opposite tastes in some things and, well, what's a chef to do?

Edited by annabelle (log)

I remember that bean issue. Given the circumstances he was FOS.

I've eaten in one of his places in NYC. I was unimpressed. Tortellini appetizer was undercooked (pre-aldente) and the meat was underseasoned and a little overcooked.

Annabelle, I think the canned bean thing is understandable. It's consistent with his preference for fresh or from scratch at all times; if you can't use fresh ingredients, his view is to change your plan and opt to cook something else. But the way he went on (and on)(and ON) about Grayson's combination of butternut squash with tomatoes..... You would have thought she'd used twinkies with arsenic!

I feel cheated about not getting to see Beverly go the distance since I thought she was really starting to shine and her confidence was growing stronger and so were her dishes.

I feel exactly the same way. I have a tendency to root for the underdog but in Beverly's case, it's that I relate as well. I was badly bullied when I was young and first came to this country. I was 12 at a NY girl's school and very different (in part because I'd never gone to school before and in part because I was so foreign). Those girls made my life a living hell which took me years to get over, but at least they were 12. WTH is Sarah's excuse? She clearly hasn't grown up but how could she have so little empathy? Even if Beverly is slightly different in her cooking style, shouldn't there be some sympathy for a fellow female chef, one who was badly abused in a past relationship and was clearly impacted as a result?

It will be interesting to see how Sarah will justifies and excuses her actions at the Top Chef reunion special. I suspect it will the BS excuse of "we were all tired and stressed." Which I don't believe at all because she hadn't changed one whit after the long break between regular taping and the finals. As she said in last night's episode, referencing the final 3 and no Beverly, "THIS is how it was supposed to be."

I hope Paul leaves her in the dust.

Edited by Kafka Zola (log)

I agree that TC has jumped the shark, but rumor has it the next season will be Top Chef Seattle. And since I live in Seattle I am doomed to watch it. I can only imagine the cliche vignettes...Padma handling a geoduck, cooking planked salmon in an Indian village, throwing fish at Pike Place Market, the wild mushroom quickfire . . .

You just know there is going to be fish throwing at Pike Place. In fact, there will probably be a challenge where they have to throw the fish into their Toyota (name of current model being plugged) filled with Glad bags.

Maybe Tom will agree to literally jump a shark?

Edited by annabelle (log)

Well, if anyone really thinks they actually sell the salmon they throw, then I have a Top Chef cookbook I'll sell ya.

Well, I'm very relieved I didn't have to throw something at my television. But I swear, I thought it was going to go the other way. I have to say, BOTH menus looked fantastic.

For those who didn't watch it, the Watch What Happens show had a few interesting tidbits. The number of people whom the chefs served over the course of the season was over 1500! And, as I guessed earlier, Sarah strongly implied that it was the fault of editing and stress which made her appear as she did. BTW, if anyone is in Chicago, she is planning on serving her full Top Chef menu very soon at Spiaggia.

The challenges were pretty bad this season (but not so bad as when they were locked inside a Target store for the night). I did like the way they selected their sous chefs last night.

Congrats Paul - I suspect the judges gave him the nod on the basis of his whole performance over the season and not that one dinner.

My early favorite is Paul. I mean really, how can you not root for a guy who wins with Brussels Sprouts?

Hmm. Is that what I prophetically said on December 2?

Liked Sarah a little better after the reunion show. Was happy to hear that both she and Lindsay had apologized in BC, even before they got to see themselves and their behavior during the airing of the show. And I liked that Sarah said she didn't want her nieces and nephews to see her behaving badly and being unkind to others.

And also liked the acknowledgement that Beverly had handled herself with considerable grace during the abuse, when it would have been easy and tempting to lash back, which would have made things so much worse and more unpleasant for everyone involved.

Heather, on the other hand...

Back to the shrimp and accusations of lax "work ethics," which, as Beverly pointed out, could negatively affect her professional opportunities in the future. Personally, I didn't perceive a single lazy thing about Bev. And in so far as the shrimp episode goes, I don't recall seeing any shots of Bev sitting around slacking off. I just see her with her back bowed and head bent over that shrimp, working diligently at what I think we can all agree is a thankless, tedious, unpleasant task.

While Heather's mouth never stopped.

What a battleaxe.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Yes, but at least Heather has the honesty to admit that no-one put words in her mouth and that it was not editing, but rather, her own honest belief. Contrast that Sarah who strongly implied, if not stated, on the Watch What Happens show that it was all due to editing. Despite that, she didn't hesitate to roll her eyes last night at other contestants, like Keith to name just one. And Heather never played the victim/martyr card as Sarah did when she was called out for telling Emeril to "F* off," which she clearly seems to have done judging by her contradictory statements and Tom's raised eyebrows.

Sarah talking to Emeril like that was uncalled for and she should have manned up (so to speak) and apologized to him when that door of opportunity swung open. Instead, she tried to pretend she didn't know what Andy was talking about and then stepped right in it in the next sentence. So much for setting an example for the young'uns back home, Sarah.

Way to go, Grayson for calling out Heather for being a bully to Beverly and telling her that she did too owe Bev an apology. Heather really is a piece of work. Tom tells her that they have never seen a contestant act like her in umpteen seasons of TC, and she shrugs it off, with a "Well, everyone knows I'm bossy". B*tch, please.

I could have done without seeing that photo of Ty's behind, Andy. Thankyouverymuch.

I'm glad Beverly got a chance to challenge Heather's interpretation of Heather's behavior and its possible effect on her professionally. I was glad to see that the other girls had apologized to her and that she was comfortable sitting next to Lindsay.

Grayson, my mother would wash your mouth out with soap, young lady. I don't care if there is a lot of profanity in the kitchen: you were in a minivan at one point and with mixed company most of the time.

Sarah talking to Emeril like that was uncalled for and she should have manned up (so to speak) and apologized to him when that door of opportunity swung open. Instead, she tried to pretend she didn't know what Andy was talking about and then stepped right in it in the next sentence.

Bingo!

Heather really is a piece of work. Tom tells her that they have never seen a contestant act like her in umpteen seasons of TC, and she shrugs it off, with a "Well, everyone knows I'm bossy". B*tch, please.

I agree but I still have a wee smidgeon of respect more for someone who admits what they've done, no matter how obnoxious or how obnoxiously they stand by it, than someone who not only lies but then tries to use tears to manipulate others after being caught. And trying to turn the blame onto Bravo for bringing up what she did "now" and how unfair that was? Please.

I could have done without seeing that photo of Ty's behind, Andy. Thankyouverymuch.

I could have done without the thought of Sarah's teary orgasms.