• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Texas

David Ross

Well, I don't know if the shark was actually jumped, but they were definitely hauling it around in the bicycle basket.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I can't imagine watching Top Chef without prerecording it on a DVR and fast forwarding through the trivial. A few cooking techniques, a dash or two of personality clashes, and the judges' table - I can get through an episode in fifteen minutes - less when the chefs are riding bicycles around town.

A chef walks into a strange kitchen to ask if he/she can cook there. Funny that the production team has already set up to record the moment. Wonder how many takes they did?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

When Bravo stoops to selecting "D" level, former public figures like PeeWee Herman for the Judges Panel you better get the clicker out...

Pee Wee Herman is funny? I've never seen so much forced laughter. Did anyone else notice that when the judges were being served, Pee Wee said something inane which, of course, meant everyone had to ho-ho, and I do believe Padma must have thought the camera was no longer on her because her expression resembled flipping a switch from ho-hoing to that my-god this-is-painful look. I'm surprised the editors didn't catch it.

I've hated Pee Wee as much as the next red-blooded american, but I have to stick up for him. When they asked him what he liked, he said 'Everything'. He liked spicy food. He had no food "allergies".

After seeing so many guest judges 'oh, I forgot to mention it, but I'm allergic to eggs. But I ate them anyway. Can I have gummy bears in my desert? I only want beef, I can't eat fish, etc. It makes me yell at the screen, what the hell are these people doing judging cooking?

So props to Pee Wee for no stupid food tricks.

Edited by Werdna (log)

You need to give Pee Wee some props for his earlier career, BEFORE the kids show. He had a really good special on HBO back in the day that was presented in a children's program format, but with extremely adult content. I was pretty young when I saw it, but I recall it being hilarious. The true kid stuff came later.

What, are there no Great Texas Chefs left that are as worthy as PeeWee Herman of a seat at the Judges Table? I thought Emeril was from Massachusetts. Is that the town of Massachusetts, Texas?

You mean like Natalie Portman, I think it was? "I'm a vegan who is allergic to nearly everything and I need you to fix me a fabulous feast for my friends!"

I believe it was Zooey Deschanel.

Wrong thread. It was Natalie in Top Chef, Zooey was in Top Chef Masters.

You mean like Natalie Portman, I think it was? "I'm a vegan who is allergic to nearly everything and I need you to fix me a fabulous feast for my friends!"

I believe it was Zooey Deschanel.

Wrong thread. It was Natalie in Top Chef, Zooey was in Top Chef Masters.

Natalie was vegetarian, Zooey was vegan.

PS: I am a guy.

Does anyone have ATT Uverse? I notice that in the "info" section, about the show, they list Tom, Padma, Gail and Lindsey as the cast. I wonder if that means she wins.

Not a spoiler this time!

It was odd that Ed felt he was knocked out of the competition by Beverly. He made it sound sort of personal when in fact the Last Chance Kitchen was just another producers' twist. If anything, he was knocked out by Lindsey.

I was wondering why Lindsey kept saying that she thought the stock needed to be emulsified when, generally stock doesn't have fat. I kept cringing at the incorrect use of the term.

It was nice seeing Bev return. I was afraid that LCK was just going to bring back the last eliminated chef. She has shown real brilliance, so I know that she'll be a tough competitor in the finale.

There was an odd sequence in the prep in the middle of the episode where Lindsey was shown packing up chicken stock and discussing how difficult it was to make in a short period of time. The subtitles said chicken stock as well. But chicken stock would seem to play no role in her seafood dish, so it left me scratching my head and wondering if they edited in something from a different episode by mistake.

It was odd that Ed felt he was knocked out of the competition by Beverly. He made it sound sort of personal when in fact the Last Chance Kitchen was just another producers' twist. If anything, he was knocked out by Lindsey.

And of course, in actuality Ed was knocked out by Ed. Specifically, Ed was knocked out in those few seconds when he was standing in the store considering the fact that he had just been told there were no fresh oysters. He should have immediately remembered the previous "I didn't buy fresh shrimp" incident, and chosen another dish.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Ed signed his own death warrant with the canned oysters.

There was a lot of sloppy continuity in this episode. When all the chefs were eating at "their" house, their plates were full, then their plates were empty, then their plates were partially eaten. I wonder how much monkeying the Magical Elves did in that one sequence?

Plus, all the boo-hooing when their mentors showed? Yuck. It's probably nerves at this point, but I was waiting for Paul to fall to the floor sobbing.

I'm tired of all these people hating on Bev. I hope she creams them all.

Well, yeah, I was practically yelling at the screen when Ed went for the pre-smoked boxed oysters. That's a basic, basic part of cheffing; not serving anything unless it's good, solidly good. He should have asked the fishmonger what was fresh and great that day. Holding on to the menu he had planned was not going to serve him well.

Bev wasn't my favorite in LCK, but, she has determination and thoughtfulness and cares about food. I think the others have been pretty unprofessional towards her. It's hard to say for sure because all of the footage is heavily edited, but, she seems to just have different social interaction skills than some of the others in the group.

Bev seems to be a quiet, competent chef. She's in the zone and not dogging the other chefs or gossiping. If for no other reason than I have never heard her swear or scream at another chef or server, I want her to win.

The rest of them? Sarah and Lindsay are both mean girls who will turn on each other before this is over and Paul is a fantastic chef, but is awfully emotional.

Bev seems to be a quiet, competent chef. She's in the zone and not dogging the other chefs or gossiping. If for no other reason than I have never heard her swear or scream at another chef or server, I want her to win.

The rest of them? Sarah and Lindsay are both mean girls who will turn on each other before this is over and Paul is a fantastic chef, but is awfully emotional.

The other cheftestants sit around and drink and smoke and schmooze and dish the dirt (not that there's anything wrong with that :biggrin: ). I doubt that was ever her personality but, even if it was, she's at a different place in her life now. She's got a child to worry about, and she's deadly serious and focused about this. I think that's most of the problem. She's a grownup and doesn't fit in with the cool kids smoking out behind the gym at lunchtime.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Exactly. She talks about her little family and what this contest means to her, not about how Chef X really, really bugs the snot out of her and she wishes with all her might that s/he would go home NOW.

Plus, no one else has busted out a wok on a major challenge since Angelo was competing a season or two ago.

Jumped the shark in a single bound. A Biathlon to stalk ingredients? Oh my, a chef fell down while skiing. Teehee. Rip-roaring, rollicking entertainment for sure.

Evidently the state of Texas doesn't have a venue worthy of the finals for Top Chef Texas.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter