• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Texas

David Ross

I kinda figured the same thing about the sausage. It really i about the mix of meat(s), the amount of fat, the grind, and the seasoning. Less about cooking. Of course, even then, it still needs to have some smoke.

Chicken is hard to smoke well and get smoke flavor in it. Still, I never buy it in Central Texas. I just go for the "big three". And no sides. Sides take up space in the stomach that could be filled with more meat.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Chicken is hard to smoke well and get smoke flavor in it. Still, I never buy it in Central Texas. I just go for the "big three".

And so true for me, too, if I'm going to just get something for myself.

But I had a family to feed, and they didn't want nothing but "the big three" for every single meal. Even at best, my daughter isn't much of a red-meat eater, and she usually orders chicken or turkey when it's available.

So I'd drive over to Llano and, in addition to "the big three," pick up a half-dozen or so smoked chickens to put into the freezer for those nights when I didn't want to cook, or when we were all in a "chicken mood."

Those chickens were absolutely delicious, even after sitting in the freezer for a couple of weeks. I'd defy anyone to turn up their nose at them.

And we must not be the only folks that liked them. If I didn't get there really early, or call ahead and ask them to hold some for me, they would be all sold out of those chickens long before noon.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Just checked. Coopers of Llano sells smoked chicken along with other meats via the internet.

Right. Exactly the chickens I'd drive an hour each way to get. When Texans are talking about barbecue and they say "Llano," they mean "Cooper's."

I think I'll just check to see how much they'd charge to ship me some. I'm in Houston now and that drive would be a little far.

Even for me.

:cool:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I see Ed is getting the villian edit. Look for him to pack his knives and go next week after Restaurant Wars.

I was starting to discuss his jerkiness with my wife, when it occured to me that they had been up cooking and smoking more than 24 hours. With that little sleep and that much smoke, I think a bit of grumpiness can be forgiven.

So, for the first time, restaurant wars took place on sequential nights. I think team Half Bushel had an advantage in getting more time to rest and plan. That said, they didn't run a very smooth kitchen....

i agree. will have to check judge's comments about how they attempted (or IF they attempted) to balance this out. having an extra day would be an enormous advantage, it seems to me.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

So, for the first time, restaurant wars took place on sequential nights. I think team Half Bushel had an advantage in getting more time to rest and plan. That said, they didn't run a very smooth kitchen....

i agree. will have to check judge's comments about how they attempted (or IF they attempted) to balance this out. having an extra day would be an enormous advantage, it seems to me.

Not only having the extra day to rest and plan but to be able to go eat at and observe the other team's effort and process would be a huge advantage.

I'm glad Beverly won. In fact, I'm wanting her to win the whole thing since she isn't getting any respect from her fellow competitors and keeps chugging along like the little engine that could. I admire her restraint in not lighting into Lindsay when she was swearing a blue streak and blaming her lousy fish prep on Bev.

Grayson would be good, too. I don't like any of the guys now that pretty Chris and the guy with the umlaut in his name are gone. He looked like a pirate. So we now have two Asian guys with family pressure issues and Samurai Chris from Moto---who should have gone instead of the pirate guy-- left on the guy side.

Edited by annabelle (log)

I'm glad Beverly won. In fact, I'm wanting her to win the whole thing since she isn't getting any respect from her fellow competitors and keeps chugging along like the little engine that could. I admire her restraint in not lighting into Lindsay when she was swearing a blue streak and blaming her lousy fish prep on Bev.

Me, too. I really felt bad for her when she was sitting in that planning meeting, and Sarah not only didn't like any of Beverly's suggestions - she was so rude and dismissive about it, until finally Beverly felt compelled to point out that she had to make something.. And after the "beets, beets, beets" comment, when Bev suggested short ribs and Sarah said, "Again?!" how I wish Bev had said, "I don't see why that should matter. You made that cake twice, and it wasn't even your recipe."

...how I wish Bev had said, "I don't see why that should matter. You made that cake twice, and it wasn't even your recipe."

Except that was Heather who made the cake twice, not Sarah.

Oh. Well.

Nevermind.

Heather - 100lbs = Sarah

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

and to continue

Sarah - 100 pounds = decently fit person

At least one of the girls connected up with Bev. I think Bev probably would be annoying to work with but these girls are just being mean. And it isn't helping them.

And it didn't appear observing service helped them at all, but another day to relax and think about your food would.

Bev could be annoying to work with, but that certainly doesn't excuse the lambasting she was taking during service with Lindsay and Sarah talking over her (literally, since Bev was cooking not talking) like she was some kind of a retard or didn't speak English or wasn't as qualified as they to be on the show or hadn't won a couple of challenges already.

If it was me, I would have "accidentally" spilled something on Lindsay so she would have to go back out to FOH (where she was cussing at the servers, too) with a big stain on her. Front or back, take your pick.

And, when they were sitting in the stew room, Lindsay was STILL grousing about her stupid fish and refusing to take responsibility for the fact that it was the method, not Beverly following her instructions, that was the problem.

I hope Bev sends them postcards from her trip that she won. Just to rub it in.

Edited by annabelle (log)

Stress reveals character, doesn't it? The industry watches and I don't think any of the bitch-chefs have been made more employable by this show.

By contrast, Grayson looks both able and decent.

There is justice in that.

Edited by gfweb (log)

Yeah, but what's with Ed's jaw? Does he have a problem? I can't stop staring at his mouth.

He's another whiney-ass that I won't be sorry to see go.

I'm so glad someone finally said that!! It is so distracting! Ditto Grayson or Bev to win.