• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Texas

David Ross

Is it that time already? Another Top Chef? We haven't seen the end of this season's Top Chef Just Desserts and just around the corner, debuting on Wednesday, November 2, is Season 9-"Top Chef Texas." I've seen some of the promos on Bravo and as one would expect, they are playing up the angle of "everything is big in Texas." So what surprises and challenges do you think the Lone Star State will throw at the Chefs? A brisket challenge anyone?

I'll check it out. I'm not particularly enjoying this season of Just Desserts (too many team challenges for an individual competition, it's like making everybody hold hands while running the 100 meter sprint) so maybe it will be a nice change of pace.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

If they do brisket, they need to get Aaron Franklin from Austin to judge. OF course, everyone will LOSE compared to his stuff. They really can't do it anyway.. They won't give them enough time,

But hopefully we see a lot of beef. We love the beef here in Texas.

One thing new is that it is not one city. It's three. And they are starting with way more contestants.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I am interested to see how they handle eliminations with so many contestants. I hope they don't just dismiss half the people in the first episode.

I suspect they will have to dismiss a lot of people in short order. Even with the standard number of contestants, it's hard to keep tabs on who is who in the early rounds.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

How many contestants are they starting with?

For the first-time ever, season nine will boast a record 29 chefs -- almost double the amount of chefs in season’s past -- who will see if they have what it takes to become an official cheftestant and qualify to wear the Top Chef coat. Only 16 will go on to compete across the Lone Star State

I don't think this bodes well. 'All Stars' was great because we didn't have to learn about all the contestants in an hour. With 29 contestants, we'll have about two minutes with each - less commercial time, and announcer/promotional time. Let's call it 42 seconds unless they do a 2 hour premier or something.

And what about judges? What well-known Texas Chefs will be on the judging panel? I'm hoping they won't prop up Bourdain and Ripert in cowboy hats that are too small for their heads.

I hope they do brisket. And give them enough time to turn out a properly smoked one. They could make a time exception, and perhaps borrow some offset smokers from a company that would like the publicity.

A true brisket challenge would be really great.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

No spoilers, but less than 15 minutes into the premiere, I dead-bag on identified the single most douche-y contestant ever, EVER, EV-AH in TC, TC Allstars, TC Just Desserts, TC Masters, Next FN Star, America's Greatest Cook (or whateverthehell Ramsey's competition show is called), or any other show of this ilk.

No one will every top this tool's douchedom. He is the textbook definition of jerk.

And if you watched, you *KNOW* who I mean ! (insert finger down throat gagging icon here....)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

No spoilers, but less than 15 minutes into the premiere, I dead-bag on identified the single most douche-y contestant ever, EVER, EV-AH in TC, TC Allstars, TC Just Desserts, TC Masters, Next FN Star, America's Greatest Cook (or whateverthehell Ramsey's competition show is called), or any other show of this ilk.

No one will every top this tool's douchedom. He is the textbook definition of jerk.

And if you watched, you *KNOW* who I mean ! (insert finger down throat gagging icon here....)

Takes ordinary people years to achieve A@# hole-ness, it/he/she, did it at the tender age of 22!

Probably the same tool who, upon said tool's appearance I turned to my wife and said; "Won't make it through the first episode."

Looks like it's going to take 2 episodes just to get to the real first episode. Which means we'll only have to see 1, 649 ads for "The Real Housewives of xxx" throughout the whole season.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Probably the same tool who, upon said tool's appearance I turned to my wife and said; "Won't make it through the first episode."

Looks like it's going to take 2 episodes just to get to the real first episode. Which means we'll only have to see 1, 649 ads for "The Real Housewives of xxx" throughout the whole season.

Haha...same here. Told my wife this talentless douche is sooo gone. His hasty dismissal by TC (before he even "cooked") 10 minutes later for that hatchet job he did really made the premier for me. That was fun to watch.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I was thinking "there is NO WAY they are going to edit this season's biggest douchebag into the first episode like this".....and then "oh, THAT'S why they let you hit your peak so quickly".

How about that James Bond theme audition tape he did, huh? Everybody like that one? Wasn't it awesome?

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

He was such a tool I thought he had escaped from another Bravo series. I honestly wonder if they have a few slots reserved for jackasses after seeing this guy. Who could have thought he'd be any good?

But he's a personal chef to "celebrities!"

and I bet he makes fantastic celery sticks for them and turkey on white sandwiches...."all the way to the top" LOL.

On the other hand I liked the addition of Emeril (a much toned-down and non-bamming :smile: Emeril) to the show. We'll see how this season goes.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog