• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mushrooms in my backyard – are they safe to eat?

Nomina

Now that we've gone through the requisite dire warnings and prophecies of doom, would anyone care to speculate on an ID?

We don't know where she lives. That would be needed to even start guessing.

And a reference to size.

Its good to have Morels

Hi everyone,

I live in Long Island, New York. The mushrooms sprouted in my garden and there are so many that it is kind of scary. My mom picked those. It wasn't until after I posted that I actually went to go look at them. They grow in clumps and in all sizes. I can't tell you diameter since I threw those out. Would a picture of the growing clumps help?

What's the worst thing that could happen? We either get another post from Nomina a week after the mushrooms are eaten or one from the doctor or family members confirming it was not a good decision...

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

I would encourage Nomina to take a course from a local expert. It is possible to pick mushrooms without dying, and it is a ton of fun. When I was a kid in Michigan we had ate several species of mushrooms that we gathered from the woods behind our house. The trick is to only eat species that you know are OK, and most importantly, that don't have near-idential poisonous counterparts in your area. I learned what to pick from my dad, who learned from his dad. Grandpa came from Lithuania, where people commonly gather mushrooms. I would be curious to know how my Lithuanian grandfather learned which Michigan mushrooms were OK, but he has been dead (not of mushroom poisoning!) for over 40 years. Waah.

What's the worst thing that could happen? We either get another post from Nomina a week after the mushrooms are eaten or one from the doctor or family members confirming it was not a good decision...

All mushrooms are edible - ONCE!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

All this makes me wonder if toxic mushrooms share certain chemical markers that could be detected by a device. Are toxic mushrooms all toxic in the same way? Something that could be tested by something like the various consumer blood testing devices we now have?

As tragic as mushroom poisoning may be, a close second may be unknowingly walking past a patch of free Morels :biggrin:.

All this makes me wonder if toxic mushrooms share certain chemical markers that could be detected by a device. Are toxic mushrooms all toxic in the same way? Something that could be tested by something like the various consumer blood testing devices we now have?

As tragic as mushroom poisoning may be, a close second may be unknowingly walking past a patch of free Morels :biggrin:.

Morels are easily identifiable. It is generic-looking mushrooms like those found by the OP that are problematic.

There are multiple toxins. I can think of about 6 different ones...so there's probably several times that. Some are hallucinogens. Others kill the liver or kidney. One could probably design a rapid test that detects them all but it would be very pricey. Easier to buy the fungi.

There are a number of False Morels, some of which cause no harm, some of which are carcinogenic, some of which bear liver toxins. 'Nuff said.

I know, but "False Morels" don't really look like morels at all once you understand how they differ. Which is why taking a class is a good idea.