• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dallas Coffee Roasters

DanM

Good evening.

Does anyone know a good coffee roaster in the Dallas area, preferably around Plano?

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Retail roasters. I need something better than Folgers while I am visiting my MIL.

Edited by DanM (log)

I don't know if they roast on-site or buy roasted beans, but the regional chain, Cafe Brazil, is a stop I don't miss when I'm in Dallas. Not a coffee connoisseur like many on here, but I like the good stuff, and their Brazil Estate is as good as I've ever had. I buy beans every trip to take home, and just learned this last trip that I can order online!

Info on locations, etc., here: http://cafebrazil.com/. Damn fine breakfast, too.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I've got little doubt Richard has more extensive knowledge than I on the topic, but if you're in Plano, then Addison Coffee Roasters is the closest place I know of. Funny thing, though, is that there's a greater selection of their coffee to be found at the Plano Central Market than can be found at their storefront.

Actually, there are several Texas roasters that sell at CM, though the names escape me. I'd say check that out.

Maybe the freshest is at Dunn Brothers on Beltline. Roasted in store in a cool red roaster and always no older than 2 - 3 days - at least when I used to buy coffee from them. Addison Roasters is a large operation and if the coffee beans in their store front are as fresh as Dunn Bro, then they should be as good...and maybe a little cheaper, but I'm not sure about that. At Central Market, you may want to ask staff how long they have had a batch of coffee in the store. I think Addison may deliver it within a couple of days to the store, but no telling how long it's been there.

If you are into roasting your own, you may be able to buy green beans from both of them; I have in the past from Dunn Bro...very high quality beans.

Good luck. And let us know what you try and what you think about it.

Back before Richard got me hooked on tea, I was buying my coffee at at the Dunn Brothers location on Beltline in Addison. The place is a chain, but they are all individually owned and operated. The owner of that location was there on every visit I made. And on many locations, coffee roasting was going on. As Richard suggests, nothing seems to be more than a few days old. I usually bought my coffee based on what was the most recently roasted. Not sure if they still do this, but they would sell any half pound for $5. That was a pretty good deal. You could actually pay less per unit cost for some coffees that way. Worked fine for me because it took me a while to go through a half pound. One of the reasons I switched to tea at home.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped by Addison yesterday and picked up some mild roast espresso and some Bali sourced coffee. Very friendly people and great quality coffee. I am well at work annoying my FIL by using the "countertop art" espresso machine. It is there to look nice, not be used... spucatum! This is not a cafe though... it is a small office with a roast house in the back. I did not make it to Dunn Bros due to a sleeping kiddo.